Take A Look at Disney

12/21/10

Top 6 Covers of Disney Songs

Doing a Cover of a popular song is no east feat because people will always compare it to the original.  One of the best ways for artists to make the song unique is by giving their own twist and today, I will be counting the Top 5 covers of Disney Songs.  Just because it is a cover does not mean it has to be someone famous, in fact sometimes the fans have more fun with the song and understand it better because they love the movie such as the case with number 6.

6. After Today Live



I know that I have used this video before but I just love it.  It is obvious that the people behind this video had a lot of fun making and understood the song "After Today".   I also love the fact that as the video states it is a shot-for-shot remake done in live action.  The girl playing Roxanne in this video looks as though she could be the real life doppelganger for the character.   


5.  Kiss the Girl - Ashley Tisdale


I will admit part of the reason I'm including this song is because I used to have a crush on Ashley Tisdale.  Normally, I do not care for the songs featured on the Disneymania CDs but this particular song peeked my interests for two reasons.  The first having already been stated and the second being that while it had a very pop feel it worked and also I liked the twists on this song.  The first being by having Ashley sing it shows that she knows what she wants and does not need a crab to speak for her.  Second, she also gets the kiss because she kisses the boy at the end of the video.


4.  A Whole New World - Peabo Byson & Regina Bell



I originally wanted to include Luther Vandross' cover of  "A Whole New World" but I could not find it and instead I came across this music video featuring Peabo Byson and Regina Belle.  The way they sing is beautiful, it hits the heart and it is also haunting in a romantic kind of way.  This duet works because they sing with each other not over each other. 


3.  Can You the feel the Love Tonight/I  Won't Say I'm in Love/Let's Get Together - On The Record


This is acutally a meledy from the stage show "On the Record", it was a musical revue that featured 70 classic Disney songs.  Such as this meledy that features songs that are all connected because they deal with love.  "Can You Feel the Love  Tonight?", "I Won't Say I'm in Love" and "Let's Get Together" all work well.  "Can You Feel the Love Tongiht" serves as great lead-in, I think the only weak part is the end song "Let's Get Togethher" while it works in the sense that it deals with love, it seems out of place with the other two songs.  I beleive that the strongest part of this meledy is "I Won't Say I'm in Love".   If you recall in "Hercules", Meg sang about her ex betrayed their love and broke her heart.  Well, the song remains the same story wise but there is one minor diffrerence.  It is a male voice singing the song.  Sounds silly, right? Well it's not because the man singing is still able to convey the emotions of the song.  The story remains the same but here we get a man's persepctive and I also beleive it serves as a great equal and prelude to our next song.



2.  When She Love Me - On the Record




Now as I stated I feel that "I  Won't Say I'm in Love" serves as  a great prelude and equal to this song.  "When She Loved Me" was first featured in "Toy Story 2" sung by Jessie about her owner Emily outgrowing her.   I feel that is  cover is one of the few that could give the oringinal a run for its money.  Just as with "I Won't Say I'm in Love" , we get a man singing and this time it is about his girlfreind leaving him and that gives it a much more adult vibe.  This version is just as if not more heartwrenching than the original version. 


And now the number one Disney Cover is...


1.  Baby Mine - Alison Kraus




I wasn't always a big fan of  Aliosn Kraus but her cover of "Bany Mine" turned me around.  "Dumbo" is my number one favorite Disney movie  of all time next to  "A Goofy Movie" but "Baby Mine"  has always held my special place in my heart and nobody could capture the essence of the song until I heard Alison Kraus' version.  I know I said it helps to have a twist when doing a cover but part of the reason I love this version so much is that doesn't mess with the song too much other than to fit Kraus' Bluegrass style of singing. 


So there you have it,  the Top 6 Covers of Disney Songs.  What do you think?  Feel Free to comment. Let me know what your favorite Disney Songs are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment