Take A Look at Disney

2/27/11

Donald Duck




Welcome back to my week long look of the Disney Mainstays. Last time, we looked at Goofy and today, we will taking a look at  everyone's favorite hot tempered Disney Duck.... Donald.  Just like yesterday, I will give a brief bio of Donald, my favorite Donald Duck moment and my favorite Donald Duck cartoon.



Donald Duck's Bio

Donald first appeared in the Silly Symphony short, The Wise Little Hen.  Which was released in June of 1934, even though he was briefly mentioned in a Disney storybook, three years earlier.   Donald's full name is given as Donald Fauntleroy Duck.  Disney canon recognizes his birthday as being on June, 9 1934. The day his first short was released, however other shorts have identified his birthday as falling on Friday the 13th. This is because of Donald's bad luck.   Donald's next appearance would be in Mickey's Orphans. In this short, Donald repeatedly tries to recite Mary Had a Little Lamb to an audience of bratty little mice.



Here is Donald as he first appeared in his very first role.



Donald was one of the first Disney Mainstays to star in a film. That film is Saludos Amigos and its follow up film ,  The Three Caballeros.  





Donald would later go on to star in many solo cartoons and for a while, he even overtook Mickey's spot as the most popular Disney character.  Some of the best Donald cartoons come from the military years in my opinion and my favorite Donald cartoon and moment come from these cartoons.   Late in the Disney afternoon era, Donald would finally get his own show where he shared billing with his nephews.  Most fans I know look down on this show but I find it to be rather underrated.  I'm talking about one of my favorite Disney Afternoon cartoons, Quack  Pack.


There you go, my breif bio of Donald Duck. Now onto my favorite Donald moment


My Favorite Donald Duck Moment




This scene right here is my favorite Donald moment.  It comes from the formerly banned Donald cartoon, Der Fuher's Face.  In it Donald has a nightmare where he lives in a land called Nutzi-Land.  This is a reference to the Nazis and the way they were running Germany.  I think part of the reason I love this scene is because to me it seems rare to see chaartcers show patriotism on cartoons. Perhaps, I'm wrong but even still I love this scene.  This scene is at the very end of the short and it makes me proud to be a Disney fan but more importantly to be an American. Sure the American overtones are a little much but it works.


My Favorite Donald Duck Short




Seeing as how my favorite Donald moment comes from Der Fueher's Face.  It makes sense that this is  my favorite Donald cartoon. I already described the short for you.  Part of the reason I enjoy this short besides it being very comical is that gives you insight to the way people in Germany were living.  This short besides being comical is also rather  realistic as  it was portraying life at that time and also a little scary seeing Donald having to deal with life like this.  There you go this is my favorite Donald Duck cartoon and this one of my all time favorite Disney shorts ever produced.


Your Top 6 Update


Since last time, the votes have not changed but  there is still time to vote and also don't forget to comment on why you voted for the song you chose as I would like to use your words in the countdown as this is Your Top 6.


No comments:

Post a Comment