Take A Look at Disney

3/14/11

Top 6 Frightful Moments of Disney Rides

Ah,  the Disney Parks. they are some great little parks. So many family-friendly rides but.. they have many rides that can you give a fright and today, I'm counting down the top 6 frightful moments of Disney rides.  Now keep in mind that this is my list so one thing that is frightening to me may not be to you.  I have also decided to stick with rides that I have been on so no Tower of Terror or Rock N' Roller Coaster as I'm too scared to go on those.



6.  The Wall on Test Track





Test Track is perhaps my favorite ride at EPCOT. The ride literally takes you through a car is tested before it is put on the road. For majority of the ride you are in a building until you come to a wall and looks as though your going to hit the wall but once your car reaches the wall it opens and you are out in the open going through a sharp turn







5. The Yeti on  Expedition Everest



This ride is one of the best rollercoasters that Disney have ever built. The tension builds. You start out by going up rickety old stairs and go through the forbidden mountain where murals telling the legend of the Yeti appear.  Then the train takes a curve and reaches part of the track that looks as though the Yeti has broken it. You think your safe but then you are safe as you enter a cave but there is a shadow of the Yeti.  Finally you go through another cave where you come face to face with the Yeti and it looks as though he is going to grab you out of your seat.  Part of the reason the Yeti is so frightening is the build up because you see all the clues to his existence and as the ride goes on you get the feeling that he is somewhere near you until finally you meet him.  This is some of the best story telling on a roller coaster that Disney has ever done.




4. The Big Drop on Splash Mountain




Now Splash Mountain is my favorite ride but even still the big drop at the end gave me the willies the first time I rode it. It's hard to say why because you can see the drop as you get to the line for the ride but I think it has to be they trick you with the Song of the South characters making this seem like a cute ride. Which makes you forget about the drop just enjoying the ride. Thinking this is a nice ride I can just sit back and enjoy and then boom, you come to the open area right before the drop and all the sudden your mind remembers about the drop but it's too late as you are soaked.  Now I only put this at number 4 because well this is my favorite ride so I go on it every chance I get and by now I'm used to the drop.


3.  Madame Leota in The Haunted Mansion




Now not much about The Haunted Mansion actually freaks me out but when I saw Madame Letoa for the first time, I thought "That's not natural".  It is a great effect and the paranormal element is pulled off well but there is just something about a floating head in a crystal ball that does not sit right with me.



2. Your boat going backwards after encountering the Trolls on Maelstrom






This is one of the shortest rides that I have ever been on but it was still able to freak me out. This ride here can be found in Norway at EPCOT. You see you go through a boat ride learning about Norway and it's history until suddenly you come upon some Trolls who send your boat going backwards really fast and that is what freaked me because the appear out of nowhere and all of sudden you are sent going backwards. This is an underrated ride and I reccomend you check out even though it freaked me out a bit. It's a worth a ride.


1.  Stromboli's Scene During Pinocchio's Daring Journey





If you recall my Tokyo Disney article, I talked about this ride.  This is the one ride that scared me so much that I wanted to get off of it. I can handle the Yeti, the wall on Test Track but what scared me so much about this ride?  The Stromboli scene, if you recall in the movie Pinocchio was locked in a birdcage as pictured here but guess who else gets to be in a birdcage. That's right, the riders as you see for a little while during this scene a giant birdcage is put over your car and I think I became clausthphrobic during that time. Granted I was a little kid so it was understandable but ever since I went on this ride I have not been able to look at birdcages the same way and this one ride at any Disney park, I refuse to ever go on and honestly I feel that this ride led me to dislike this film.   



There you are my Top 6 Fright Moments of Disney Rides. I hope you enjoyed it and what are some scary ride moments from any theme park that come to mind for you? Share 'em in the comments section and this may seem like a silly list but these are the things that freaked me out either in a good or Oh My Gosh kind of way.














No comments:

Post a Comment