Take A Look at Disney

6/3/11

Can We Talk about The Enchanted Tiki Room


As I have stated  in the past, I have been to Disney World many times now and one thing  that I went to but can't say impressed me was The Enchanted Tiki Room (Under New Management).   This was a new take on a Disneyland classic but with it's own take such as including Zazu and Iago.   Never having been to the original I cannot fairly compare it to the Disneyland attraction.


Why do I bring this up? Well, today I found  out that Under New Management will be closing but the Tiki Room will return sans Iago and Zazu.  Now when I talked about the changes made to Pirates of The Caribbean, I stated that I did not like the addition of the movie characters.

Now this attraction is different because for one it has not (yet) inspired a movie and two Zazu and Iago are from original movies that have nothing to do with this attraction other than the fact that they are birds.

When I learned that this attraction was closing I had mixed feelings as this is something that I somewhat enjoyed when I went to Disney World but at the same time I have always preferred the original song to what is played in this version.



Now when I was listening to one of my Disney World podcasts they brought this up and were stating they were thrilled that this one was closing and they would rather see the Disneyland version or the Tokyo Disney version takes it place here.  Again, I can't say as I have only been to the Disney World version. From my understanding though, the Tokyo Disney features Stitch.  Here again, I feel that fans may have the same complaints that they had with Iago and Zazu featured in Under New Management. Then again, Stitch is a much more popular character than Iago and Zazu are in this day and age. One problem I do see  if they do decide to go the Stitch route. I would believe that would be too much Stitch for one park as Tomorowland already house Stitch's Great Escape. A very funny attraction that gets too much hate in my opinion.




Now I want to get your opinions on this. I think the only way to do that is to show you a video of each version of the Tiki Room



Now while I enjoyed the Disneyland version and I even liked the Stitch version. Especially with the theme song from the tv show being included as I find that to be to be a nice introduction for Stitch. I could barely make it through the the Under New Management video because the characters in that one were just annoying. Also whose  idea was it to use Iago and Zazu. Honestly, they have never been the most popular Disney characters and they don't play well off of each other. 

Another problem is that  Zazu and Iago do not mesh well. Sure I get they were going for  with witty banter and opposites but it didn't work. They weren't the only annoying birds either. The two birds from the preshow were quite annoying as well. I had to turn the video off after they finished and then go back to it.  All of the bird jokes got really old real fast.  The only one that was remotely funny was the Big Bird joke.  Another problem  I had with Under New Management is Iago. Just Iago, it felt as though he was trying to be the center of attention and steal the show. I don't like that idea. With the Disneyland version there was none of that, the birds were working as team. With the Stitch version, the birds still worked as a team and Stitch didn't steal the show but rather joined the birds and became a part of their team.

The same podcast that got me to write this referred to Under New Management being a Dreamworks attraction.  From this I take that they meant the ride instead of embracing classic Disney pokes fun at classi Disney. To a certian degree, I can agree with that because the jokes in Under New Managemet feel more like something that you would find in Duloc from Shrek. 

In the end, I think it's for the best that Under New Management is going away. Personally out of all three Tiki Rooms, the Stitch version was my favorite. Even though that one was my favorite, I do not think it would be wise for Magic Kingdom to add Stitch to the new Tiki Room because they could get the same complaints that people had towards Under New Management. Therefore, I think and I'm pretty sure this is what is happening that the wisest choice would to be make something in vein of the classic Disneyland Tiki Room. So that people can wash away memories of Under New Management. At the same time though, they need to need to find a way to make it unique to the Magic Kingdom. 

What's your take?  Which version would you like to see take residence in the Magic Kingdom? Tell me in the comments.





No comments:

Post a Comment