Take A Look at Disney

4/25/12

Top 6 Birds of Disney

I've been wanting to another animal themed Top 6 ever since my Top 6 Dogs of Disney but I couldn't decide what to do. Originally,  I had thought about cats but I don't know why but the idea of birds appealed to me more.  Now there are some rules that I have set up for this list. First off, Donald will not appear on this Top 6 as that would be too obvious along with no one from the Duck family as they could make up their own article. Therefore, let's begin.





6. Zazu - The Lion King






Now I know what I've said in the past about Zazu but for the sake of this Top 6, I'm only speaking of his character as how he appears in the film and in that he is a fun character.  He comes being a bit snobbish but it's funny and I think he has some of the best lines in the film such as a personal favorite of mine from I Just Can't Wait to be King.  

If this is where the monarchy is headed
Count me out
Out of service, out of Africa
I wouldn't hang about
This child is getting wildly out of wing


Also understand while I have problems with New Management as I'll be calling it from now on, it's only because Disney misused Zazu and Iago. Which is just an odd pairing that makes no sense to me whatsoever but I digress, I liked Zazu in the film and he was also pretty fun in the play.  Do be weary that the stage Zazu may look a bit different if you have not seen the play.

















Let's not forget his attempt at cheering up Scar with Small World either. Such a classic moment.









5.  Jose,  Micheal, Fritz, & Pierre - Enchanted Tiki Room










Question, how many  could have named the hosts of Tiki Room if I hadn't listed them?  I'm only asking because I sometimes forget they have names.  These 4 are so much fun and even though I've ever seen Enchanted Tiki Room as it is meant to be seen I love the interaction of these 4 as they make great hosts and you gotta love their singing styles and how they're based on real people. Take for instance Jose and Fritz who sing in the style of Bing Crosby and Satchmo.  Honestly, folks this isn't enough you need the music to appreciate these fine feathered crooners. So here you go.







Man, I love that song.  It is just awesome.   Man, I'm so looking forward to my next Disney World trip to see this show as they got rid of the New Management  Also I just love the banter between these 4 with the solo line being a personal favorite of mine.




4.  The Crows - Dumbo

















Okay, who wasn't expecting The Crows to be on this list.  I mean if you've been following A Look at Disney, you know how much I love Dumbo.  Yeah, I know about the controversy surrounding them and I made an attempt albeit a weak one at defending them on a Can We Talk about during Dumbo Week.  All I can say is that these characters are fun as heck and just light up the screen. Lest we not forget the important role they play in helping Dumbo learn to fly, why if it wasn't for them, Dumbo wouldn't have The Magic Feather.  Plus they have one of the best songs in this film.






I just love these characters as they feel like the group of people that would light up the party.  They are just so fun and now I know some may be thinking if I like Dumbo so much, why aren't they number one. Well, you'll find out soon enough.




3.   Kessie - The New Adventures of Winnie The Pooh















Kessie comes from a childhood staple of mine. The New Adventures of Winnie The Pooh is  a show that I watched a lot growing up and it did introduce new characters to the 100 Acre Woods such as Kessie right here.   Now the only other Pooh show she  has appeared in after  New Adventures is The Book of Pooh but after she was never seen again. Kessie's first appearance was in the episode, Find Her, Keep Her  where Rabbit takes her in and becomes her surrogate father and raises her as his own.   This is perhaps one of the sweetest episodes as Rabbit opens up to someone and truly cares for albeit he may go overboard as he doesn't want to her fly but her other friends try to teach her and I swear one of the methods tried makes me think of Angry Birds.






Piglet ties a slingshot to two trees at the end of the cliff, Pooh, Piglet and Tigger pull back on the slingshot with Kessie inside the slingshot. But just before Kessie could take her maiden voyage, Rabbit interrupts it and angrily tells Pooh that she's not flying


Now I know that this idea isn't anything new but it has become so associated with Angry Birds that I couldn't help but think of it but Kessie is anything but an angry bird. She is a sweet and caring bird that loves her friends but as she grows she becomes independent even if Rabbit or Rabbie as she calls him doesn't approve so much as we see in her second appearance.  Rabbit just doesn't want Kessie to grow up because for all intents and purposes, Kessie is his daughter and he isn't willing to past behind him just yet. I mean at one point, he tries to put her in highchair. You know writing that sentence out now makes that scene seem rather odd but I understand what Rabbit was trying to do.   Again as I said Kessie is just a sweet character and quite a nice addition to the 100 Acre Woods.  I think my biggest reason for liking her is how she is able to get Rabbit to open up. I mean yes, he is still the same old Rabbit but when he's around Kessie something him just changes where he goes from being annoying to endearing. Also just for the fun of it, here's how Kessie looked as a baby bird and in The Book of Pooh.    Also before anyone asks I do like Kessie more than Owl.








2.  The Duckling -  The Ugly Duckling   (1939)

















As stated in my review,  I will not call this Duckling ugly because he is a beautiful creature that is trying to find his way in this world. Having watched both this and the 1931 short back to back,  I must admit that I feel that this is the superior short as it is easier to connect to The Duckling here as there is more depth to this character and when you see him trying to find a new home, you truly feel for him and add in the fact they  only use honks/quacks, it is even more astounding how well this little guy is able to pull at one's heartstrings through his plight to try and find acceptance and love.   It is one of the most gorgeous stories that I've ever seen told by Disney.   Everything about The Duckling is just endearing from how he interacts with other birds and you root for him when he finally has a family and just feel happy for him.  




1.  Big Mama - The Fox and The Hound














When coming with this list, I automatically knew who I wanted my number one to be. From a childhood favorite of mine, The Fox and The Hound,  my # 1 bird is Big Mama.   What is it about Big Mama I like so much, well there is her voice provided by the great Pearl Bailey.   The fact that she sets up the adoption of Tod to Widow Tweed.  Then there is how she recognizes the friendship between Tod and Copper and doesn't judge them  and just think it's cute. Which ultimately leads to one of my favorite Disney songs that can easily make me tear up thinking about my best friend.  Dude, this one's for you.






Honestly, this song can sum up her personality.  She is a caring old soul that is just happy to see friends enjoying each other's company.  Seriously, Big Mama is one of the most underrated Disney characters along with this film which is a shame because she is such a great character.  In many ways, she is Tod's second mother after Widow Tweed and only wants the best for him and who could ask for more.



There you have it,  my Top 6 Birds of Disney, I hope that you enjoyed this list and just let me know what others birds from Disney you like. Until, next time Peace!






8 comments:

  1. Nice! I am one of the people who could name the Tiki Room MCs. I can't believe I forgot about Kessie! Man I need to watch that show on youtube. Excellent list!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a feeling that you'd be one them. Yeah, I can see how you could've forgotten about Kessie as she hasn't been seen since The Book of Pooh, which is a damn shame as she is a great character. Heads up, expect a Winnie The Pooh themed event soon with the tentative title of A Look at Disney Visits the Hundred Acre Woods or for here A Visit to the Hundred Acre Woods.

      Delete
  2. I thought the crows will be the #1, but I was suprised and happy at the same time when I saw Big Mama and the Duckling in the high spots of the list. Great choices, and it was a warm, enjoyable blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those characters and I think that they are better than the Crows.

      Delete
  3. My favorite bird of Disney, without a doubt, is Lady Kluck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Number three, an episode that makes easy enough to cry, back and now in the years. Awesome work on this list, champ.

    ReplyDelete