Take A Look at Disney

6/3/12

The Rocketeer

Hello and welcome back. Today, I'll be taking a look at at underrated superhero film from Disney that was a staple of my childhood. Join me as I take a look at The Rocketeer.   The Rocketeer is based on the graphic novel of the same name by creator Dave Stevens who had intentions of getting his creation on the big screen and it couldn't have been done any better.  This film is just so awesome on so many levels.  Before I get to the trailer,  I want to take a look at the film's poster.


Poster








































This poster is just so gorgeous and captures the feel of the period that the film takes place in quite well.   It also has a comic book feel to it as well and to me it is one the best film posters that I've seen.




Trailer







This trailer does a good job of conveying what the story of the film is about but I also feel that it spoils the film and gives away too many plot elements.   If you haven't seen the film that can be distracting but I guess if you have, it isn't a big deal.






The Plot




It's 1938  in L.A.  as we follow the exploits of Cliff Seacord,   a stunt pilot who is trying to make ends meat to enter The Nationals when him and his mechanic, Peevy come across a rocket that been left in his plane by Eddie Valentine's gang who is working for acclaimed actor Neville Sinclair  who happens to be a Nazi spy and Cliff's girl is working on the latest Neville Sinclair film and the rocket has caused nothing but trouble for Cliff since he obtained it as not only is Neville after him but so is the FBI and we later find out that Howard Hughes invented the rocket and I believe that this was meant to be in response to the Nazi's plans as seen from a film strip, they had plans to invents their own rockets.   The plot may not have been the best one but it was one hell of an action film and it was a blast.  Now I'll admit that I was confused as to why they called what was a jet pack, a rocket but I did some research and it looked as though the first jet didn't come around until the '40s.  If my info is wrong, please let me know as I know very little about aviation.  I think the best way to describe this film is by saying that it reminds of Indiania Jones as it feels as though it is trying to hearken back to the serials of the time that it is set in. Which after more research, I learned that the writers had to fight for the '38 setting and used Indy as an example in their argument as Disney originally wanted to put this film in a  modern setting because they didn't think moviegoers would want to watch a film set in the '30s but the people behind the film said that Indy showed otherwise.  I should also mention that the director of this film Joe Johnston would go on to direct another superhero period piece. Last year's Captain America.  Y'know when you look at these two films they share some similarities.




Plot Device




Rocket



















This is most certainly one of the most important aspects of the film because without it, there's not film hence no Rocketeer.   As I said in the plot,  once Cliff gets this everyone is after him because they want the rocket as it is important and he uses it to become the Rocketeer and he first uses it to save his pal Malcom from crashing and after the papers nickname The Rocketeer and he takes on the mantle and it is just awesome seeing him use this thing but I was thinking throughout watching the film, wouldn't his back get hot after using this thing?  Ah, who knows. Probably thinking too hard.










Characters




Now I won't be covering all of the characters, only the ones that I feel are important.  With that out of the way, I'll be breaking this down into Important, Supporting, and Villain.







Important Characters






Cliff/The Rocketeer played by Bill Campbell

 






Cliff was such a fun character and just all around likable and he felt like someone that you wanted to follow and when he became The Rocketeer, it was so much fun seeing take off and fight.  Now besides the rocket he doesn't have any powers but he is one of those heroes who doesn't need anything else because even without the rocket,   he is charming and engaging.  Now it's funny,  my biggest memory of this film is not the film but rather a read-along type book of the film and I loved it.  Even still,  Cliff was probably one of the best characters in this film and such a great hero. One thing I love about this film when dealing with the superhero identity,  they don't feel the need for a secret identity.  Sure, it's brought up but nearly everyone Cliff encounters when fighting knows that he's The Rocketeer.  Also it's not much of a costume either, I mean he's just wearing a helmet, the rocket and his pilot's jacket.   Now I do have to bring up one minor quibble regarding The Rocketeer,  the effects when he was flying showed their age and sadly looked dated.   It's not a hit on the film but the effects at times could take one out of the film.   Other than that I don't  think the film is too bad.    Fun Fact:  Bill Campbell had to get over his fear of flying for taking on this role.








Peevy played by Alan Arkin















Peevy is  Cliff's mechanic and he helped design the helmet that Cliff wore as The Rocketeer.  I would also go to say that in some aspects he came across as a surrogate father to Cliff and wanted to see the best for him.  Peevy was a fun character and the relationship between him and Cliff felt so natural and real that you could believe that they had spent many a days in a plane hangar.    He also helps to patch up the rocket and get it working.  He also has one of my favorite lines in the film. Which comes right before Cliff takes his first flight.

Cliff Secord: [donning the Rocketeer helmet] How do I look? 

Peevy: Like a hood ornament. 




Howard Hughes played by Terry O'Quinn

















Here again just as with Newsies, we have a real historical figure that plays an important part in this film but unlike Newsies, he is not the villain but that does not mean he gets along with Cliff.   At the beginning they have strenuousness relationship because as stated he invented the rocket and he wanted it back but Cliff needed it to save Jenny.  At the end of the day, he comes to respect Cliff and even gives him a racing plane and I'm not sure but  from the interaction he had with Peevy, it seemed as though they had a previous relationship.   Also he has one line that was a nice little touch because there is one scene where Cliff escapes using a model of the Spruce Goose and Hughes' reaction was


That son of a bitch WILL fly!  





Supporting Character










Jenny played by Jennifer  Connelly










Jenny is perhaps my least favorite character from the film. She's not a bad character but I found her to be a bit annoying at times.  Now don't get me wrong, her love for Cliff was real but  it seemed as though she put her work as an actress over her love for Cliff and it also came across at times that she thought of Cliff's job as being lesser but at the end of the day, she does love Cliff. Also she has a line that is just great and works well in the secret identity thing.

Cliff Secord: Jenny, prepare yourself for a shock: I'm the Rocketeer. 

Jenny: The Rocke-who?

 Cliff Secord: [frustrated] Oh for crying out loud, haven't you read the papers?

 Jenny: [beat] No, I've been working all day. 





Music



Now the music for this review is going to be a different as I'm mostly looking at the film's score.



Main Title/ Takeoff








This is just gorgeous and so beautiful to listen to.  It can easily put one in a calm state and I may be incorrect but I believe that this can be heard in DCA.  Presumably at Soarin',  which I think would make the most sense and if that is the case, it's nice to see this film get some exposure.  



The Flying Circus 







Once again, I have to say that this score is exciting and just adds another layer to the film and in some ways, the score seems to be it's own character in the film.   To me that is a sign of a good score and this really delivers on that front.



Jenny






Ah, now we come to our first character theme and I do think this one fits the character of Jenny well.   This score is in many ways, a romantic score that is very hopeful and dreamlike.   That is something I can see in Jenny and this is a good score to accompany the character.


Begin The Beguine






Ah, our first song with lyrics and this one I feel does a great job of transporting us back to the Hollywood of the '30s and I can just picture myself dancing in a club listening to this song. Okay, so part of that comes from that is where this song is placed in the film but besides that, it just has that feel.  It is such a fun listen and this lady has quite a voice on her. 





Neville Sinclair's House






This one is a little ominous and foreboding.    This score comes across like it's trying to hide something, which fits with the character of Neville Sinclair ho so well. At points, it sounds like it is trying to romanticize the listener but then it will turn it's back when they're not looking and stab you.   I think what makes this work for the villain of the film is that you at first  don't think of  this as a villainous piece, the same way, Neville is not looked as a villain to the public until the end. 





Jenny's Rescue







This score is exciting and heroic and just so much fun.   Honestly, I think heroic is the best word I can use to describe best word to describe this piece because while listening to it, I can see The Rocketeer flying around saving the day.



Rendezvous at Griffith Park Observatory







Once again, another exciting piece and our composer James Horner has delivered many solid pieces and this      one doesn't disappoint either. You can just feel the tension mount between the good guys and the bad guys as they fight over the rocket.  This is probably one of my favorite pieces because it just works so well.




When Your Lover Has Gone






Another fine piece that transports me back to the '30s. It is just so beautiful to listen to and just fits with the period of this film's setting very well. I could just close my eyes and listen to this piece in a calm state for hours.  It's that good.



The Zeppelin







For context, this piece takes place on a Nazi Zeppelin where the final climax between Cliff and Neville Sinclair happens and the tension mounting in this piece is just so perfect and it feels so real and even though you know Cliff is going to win, there is a shadow of doubt looming but not for long.




Rocketeer To The Rescue/End Credits






These end credits are just gorgeous and beautiful to listen to.   This is such a nice way to close out this film. I know I'e said it a lot but this  score is very dreamlike and with this one,  it just gives me a feeling that everything will be okay in the end.





Villains 




Lothar played Tiny Ron











If there is one character I that truly felt, the film could've done without, it would be Lothar.   He added nothing to the film. He was meant to be Neville Sinclair's henchmen and bodyguard but I find it strange when Sinclair had a gang working for him as well but I assume that Lothar was his personal protection.   In some respects Lothar feels like a character that you'd face off against before the final boss in a video game, only not memorable.



Eddie Valentine  played Paul Sorvino






Eddie Valentine was a great character and you could always feel that he would turn on Neville Sinclair at any point.  Even though he was working for Sinclair, there was a feeling that he didn't trust him.  Also I love a line he has when he finds out Sinclair is a Nazi.



Neville Sinclair: C'mon, Eddie. I'm paying you well. Does it really matter where the money comes from? [siding with the G-men to fight the Nazis

Eddie Valentine: It matters to me. I may not make an honest buck, but I'm 100% American. I don't work for no two-bit Nazi. Let the girl go! 



It is rather humorous because here he's killed all these people but he won't work for a Nazi as that's crossing the line for him.


Neville Sinclair played by Timothy Dalton





Neville Sinclair is the dapper and suave actor of the day. He of the elite Hollywood but he is hiding a secret. He is a Nazi spy and he is after the rocket.   Dalton delivers such an over the top fun performance as Neville Sinclair,    even though the audience knows from the get go, that he is the villain,  I think they walk the line with him well in tricking the audience mainly Jenny.  The fights between him and Cliff work so well and I think he was such a fun villain.


My Final Thoughts


This is such a fun movie and I love everything about it.   The best part about this movie though is undoubtedly The Rocketeer himself. This has to be one of the most underrated superhero films, which is a shame because it is so much fun and that's all I want from a superhero film. A fun and good time.  Probably why I'd like Green Lantern, I thought it was fun.  (ducks tomatoes)  Honestly,  this is probably one of my favorite superhero films and I think the only thing that could top this is if they ever make a Static movie.   One can dream.   This is a film that I highly reccomend as it is just so much fun.






No comments:

Post a Comment