Take A Look at Disney

7/30/12

Classic Shorts Showcase: Farmyard Symphony

Hello & welcome back to Classic Shorts Showcase.  Today,  I'm  taking a look at a short from the Silly Symphony library that I found rather unique in how simple it was. With that out of the way, let's begin.



The Plot






Okay, I have to be honest here.  There really isn't much of a plot here,  there is a basic outline and that's about it as we follow different farmyard animals through their day.   Really,  it's almost like a set of vignettes that are tied together by the location and the music.  I wasn't sure if this was going to work or not but to my surprise it did.   As I said there were different vignettes such as the exploits of a piglet,  a calf and a horse playing together and a rooster trying to impress a chicken and at the end all of the farm animals came together when the farmer came out with the food and sang in harmony.   It was a very cute short and very easy to follow.



Character




Just so you know, I won't be going over all the stories because I don't want to spoil this short too much. Instead I'll just focus on what is the perhaps the most prominent one.  The Rooster.




The Rooster
















The Rooster had the best storyline in my opinion, there was just something about seeing him trying to woo a chicken that was not only funny but at the same time cute and I think the thing I really loved about this entire short is that none of the animals talked and so when the Rooster made his advances, they were done with animals noises, therefore they were done in clucks and the chicken that returned the Rooster's advances sang in clucks as well and just seeing him woo her was probably the highlight of this short. Granted, there are other great stories that are told throughout this short such as the ones I mentioned in the plot but The Rooster is the breakout character of this short and it's no surprise that he is the one on the title card for this short.  





My Final Thoughts




This is such a fun short and I think that comes from how simple and down to earth it feels.    The best way to describe this short is by saying that your examining a day in the life of these farmyard animals as they go about their routine and y'know what that makes this short all the more fascinating.  This isn't a short that is filled with comedy, sure there are comedic moments to be found but rather,  this short works because of it's simplicity.  This is a short that I don't mind filing under the category of beautifully simple as I feel that is what this short is.  Been a while since I got to say that about a short and it feels nice to use that phrase again.   Join me next time as I take a look at...


   

No comments:

Post a Comment