Take A Look at Disney

2/12/13

Valentines Week: Cinderella

Hello & welcome back.   Please join me as I take a look at the classic, Cinderella.  Perhaps not the perfect film for Valentines Week but I've already reviewed Disney's best love stories, Lady and The Tramp and Beauty and The Beast.   Cinderella on the other hand while good seems to rush into love and that's not a bad thing and this film is very enjoyable, if a little slow. With that out of the way, let's begin.




Trailer








While not the original trailer, I feel that this trailer does capture  the majesty, magic and wonderment of the film. So, I must say that I really like this trailer as it is simple but it is a wonderful showcase of moments from the film.





The Plot






The plot here is a bit simple as the story follows the story of Cinderella as we see her being mistreated by her step family.  In the beginning, we see Cinderella as a young girl  with her biological father and  that is the only time, we see  him.   But in that short moment, we can see how much  they loved each other. Of course, the narration helped in that regard.


















After his death, it becomes even more apparent that Cinderella is most certainly not treated like an equal amongst her step-family but rather as a maid. Now, I can't recall if it is ever stated why Cinderella's father remarried but I believe that it is because he feels that his daughter needs the care of a mother. Didn't exactly choose the best person.   Now as I said it is clear that Cinderella is despised by her.    Now I got the feeling the feeling that Anastasia and Drizella were jealous of her.  Lady Termaine, I can't really pinpoint why she didn't  like her stepdaughter but I presume it was because she knew that Cinderella was better looking and more gracious then her daughters.  So, that is probably she treated Cinderella like dirt and even though she was treated less then fairly by her family, Cinderella really never let get to her as she just never got to her for the most part. Even though her animal friends saw this and wanted to do something special for her.  I am of course referring to the ball the King is putting on for his son and Lady Tremaine is determined to not let Cinderella go as she keeps Cinderella busy taking care of the house, so that that she won't have time to wok on her dress.  So instead her animal friends, mainly the mice led by Jaq and Gus lead the way along with some other mice that we don't see again until the end of the film. They make her a beautiful pink dress.


















That is later ruined by her stepsisters as you can see in this clip.






It's at this point that Cinderella just gives up and can't take it anymore as we see her crying outside leaning against the bench.















 And who should up but Fairy Godmother, which leads to one of the most iconic transformations in a Disney film.  Y'know what I'm talking turning the mice into horses, the dress, and the carriage and  Fairy Godmother warns Cinderella like all dreams, this will come to an end once the clock strikes midnight.















And Cinderella is off on her way to the Ball and this is perhaps where my biggest issue with the film comes in .   As you see, I find it very hard to believe that after only one dance together, Prince Charming knew that Cinderella was the one he wanted to marry.   Perhaps, it's a faulty memory but as a young child, I had thought love played a bigger part in this story but that really doesn't seem to be the case or if it was, I didn't get that feeling as we never got to see Cinderella and Prince Charming actually develop any feelings for each other.  Look I don't have anything against love at first sight but I guess I prefer films, where love is developed over time.  Examples of this include Beauty & The Beast and Lady and The Tramp. I guess I just missed seeing our couple develop a relationship over time.  Seriously, why did it take until 2007 in a direct to video sequel to actually get that?   Oh, well, that is my biggest complaint with the film and it does hold it back from being one I can suggest highly.  So of course, the clock strikes midnight and Cinderella has to run off and the glass slipper is left behind.





















The next day, we see a funny moment between the King and The Grand Duke   fighting in his room and the King telling the Duke to find the lady who fits the slipper and as we see him to go to the Tremaine household,   he at first tries it on Anastasia and Drizella as Lady Tremaine had locked Cinderella away.  As the audience knew it didn't fit them but thanks to the help of the mice and Bruno, Cinderella is freed but just as soon,   as the Grand Duke is about to try it on her, Lady Tremaine purposefully trips him causing the glass slipper to break but Cinderella still has the other one and she puts that slipper on and then the movie ends with the wedding of Cinderella and Prince Charming.   Not a bad plot but,  it does feel lacking in parts.




Plot Device



The Glass Slipper

















Now I've already talked about the Glass Slipper at great length but it is indeed  a big plot device for this film as it is what's used to find Cinderella, so that Prince Charming can marry her.     And as I said when talking about the plot, all seems lost when Lady Tremaine trips the Grand Duke causing him to fall and break the slipper but Cinderella has the other one and that's how he knows.  





Narration



Narrator - Betty Lou Gerson


Now like a lot of the early Disney films this had opening narration describing the events that took place before the film. A prologue, if you will and I must say Betty Lou Gerson's voice to be endearing and how could I forget the opening with the book.




















That is one thing I miss from older Disney films, the book leading into the film.






Characters



Now I'll be breaking these down into Main, Supporting, & Villains.  With that out of the way, let's get going.





Main Character



Cinderella voiced by Ilene Woods


















Watching this film,  I was reminded how likable Cinderella was.  She may not be the strongest in terms of Disney princesses but she is one of the nicest and as we can see, she has to put up with a lot  living with the Tremaine family.  She is a very patient young woman and  for the most part, it doesn't get to until her sisters tear her dress, when we finally see everything get to her.  Now the only issue I have with Cinderella other then the whole rushing into love is that I wish that she would've stood up for herself but  I think goes back to how much fear and undesired respect that Lady Tremaine  has from Cinderella. Other then that I can't complain about Cinderella too much.   She isn't the most well rounded of the princess characters but I still like her for who she is.




Supporting Characters


Jaq & Gus both voiced by Jimmy MacDonald

















Gus Gus!  Sorry, I had to do that.  Jaq and Gus Gus are easily my favorite characters from this film.  Yeah, they are the comic relief of this film and they work so well in this category but besides that, you can see how much they care for Cinderelly  and Jaq  feels as though  Jaq was the leader of the mice and quite honestly, the highlights of the film for me had to be their interaction with Lucifer.  




Fairy Godmother voiced by Verna Felton


















Fairy Godmother came to Cinderella at a time when how seemed lost and in that little time, we saw that Fairy Godmother was someone that Cinderella could trust and was a woman who cared for Cinderella.  As I said in the Vs. where she won, Fairy Godmother felt like the mother figure Cinderella needed and I still think that to be very true of Fairy Godmother's role.    Doesn't surprise me though as Verna Felton was also the voice of Mrs. Jumbo in the greatest Disney movie of all time (in my opinion).   Fun Fact, she was also the voice of Aunt Sarah in Lady and The Tramp.   Now here with Fairy Godmother, even though I said that she is a motherly figure,  she also seems to have a grandmother feel to her that works in her favor.



Prince Charming voiced by William Phipps

















Oh my God, could there be a less developed character?   Guess how many lines,  and not singing lines, Charming has in the film.  One, just one line and guess how many time, his name is said in the movie, never.   Okay,  the latter is minor at best but here's the issue,  I really feel that this angle could've been handled better and I am even more disappointed learning that Charming's role was reduced from the original drafts as he actually had a bigger role. Such as in one cut ending,  Th Duke brings Cinderella back to the castle in her maid clothes but the Prince's feelings are too strong that he doesn't care that she's not the princess, he thought she was.  Ugh,  why did you cut this?  It wouldn't have been much development but it would've given the Prince a little more depth then he is given in this film. You shafted him guys by cutting that.  That ending could've  had the message of true love see past all flaws or better yet, true love lies within but no.   Seriously, WHY?!?!    If you had kept that ending, Prince Charming could've been so likable.




Bruno also voiced by Jimmy MacDonald















To be quite honest, Bruno is a character that I forgot was in this film. He's not a bad character but he gets lost in the sea of characters.   At most, I think he was meant to be a rival for Lucifer but we already had that with Jaq and Gus.  So I'm not really sure what purpose, he had in the film. Perhaps so that Jaq and Gus could have someone to protect them from Lucifer.



The King voiced by Luis van Rooten



















Going back to the love story aspect of this film, it really was more about The King finding a wife for his son.   I think that was true of when this movie was set but while I do like The King,  this could've been expanded upon.  Maybe so Charming and his father have some conflict over this idea. Kinda like what they would do with Jasmine and The Sultan in Aladdin. I know that movie came out later and I shouldn't compare but it just bugs me that the Prince has nothing to do and The King gets more lines and more personality, then our love interest.   Don't get me wrong, he's a likable character and very fun and we do get to know hi. quite well.   As we learn that is he means well.




The Grand Duke also voiced by Luis van Rooten

















The Grand Duke was an all right character.  Didn't have much to do until the end of the film, when he goes to Tremaine household and tries the slipper on Cinderella and her sisters.  Though, he did seem to be the voice of reason against the King saying that a person cannot fall in love over night but yeah, the film proved that wrong.




Music


Cinderella








Oh, what a pretty song to open up the film.  This is perhaps one of the more overlooked songs from this song. Understandable given there are a lot of great songs in this film and this really doesn't stand out bit it's still very good.




A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes








Aw, what a pretty song. Cinderella has such a pretty singing voice.  This song is just lovely and I find that it shows Cinderella's determined spirit and why I like her most out of the Walt era princesses.  She's not my favorite of all the princesses but like I said out of the ones that first arrived when Walt was alive, she's the best and this song shows me why. She is a good natured and good hearted person, who even though she has to put up with a lot of crap from her step family,  she tries to not let it get to her.



Sing, Sweet Nightingale








I love how this song starts out with Drizella basically butchering it and then we get to hear Cinderella sing it and it sounds so lovely and also, the bubble sequence in this number is really cool.




The Work Song








Hands down, my favorite song from this movie. It's just so infectious, the way the mice sing and again it shows much they care for Cinderella because of how she's done for them and I also like how they make it a reprise of A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes but I could listen to the first part of this song and not get tired of it.    I just love this song, it's my favorite from this film.



Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo







This is easily the most famous song from this movie and not without good reason as it has the most memorable lyrics out of any song from this film and as Les pointed in the Vs., that Fairy Godmother won, it's fun trying to figure out the magic words.   You could almost call it a tongue twister. 




So This Is Love 







Now while I have big issues with the relationship aspect of this film, I can't deny that this is a great love song.  Very simple in nature and not many lyrics but you do get the feeling from this song that these two people care for each other. Yeah, that is kinda contradicting myself and while this song does a good job of that, I wish we had more moments like this between Cinderella and Prince Charming. Still, I can't deny how gorgeous this song is 



So This Is Love (Reprise)





The reprise is okay but really, the song isn't the important aspect of this moment. Rather, it's both Lady Tremaine and Jaq and Gus trying to Cinderella about Lady Tremaine coming but as for the song, itself, I think it helps to show Cinderella's feelings after the Ball. 



A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes (Reprise) 





I like how they end with A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes as it seems fitting and also I really like the sound of the reprise (technically, the second reprise of this song when you take into account that it appears in The Work Song) as it sounds big. It's hard to explain but that's the vibe I got off this reprise and again,  the best word to describe is pretty.







Villains



Lucifer voiced by June Foray














Man, Lucifer was so much fun and you gotta love that smile.  Okay, what is about villains with evils cats that are awesome.  Lucifer is just deliciously over the top and I loved watching him chase the mice, even if I was rooting for Jaq and Gus to win but he was such a fun character.




Anastasia  &  Drizella both voiced by Lucille Bliss & Rhoda Williams 
















Now with Anastasia and Drizella, these are characters that either you'll be able to laugh at or find annoying.  As they are just nothing more then comic relief, as they don't actually get development until the two sequels.  But in this film, they are fun foils, if a little loud and over the top but it worked for me.


Lady Tremaine voiced by Eleanor Audley

















Lady Tremaine is such a fascinating villain a she is enable to instill fear into one person and while she may never do anything physically, she doesn't need to because she uses the power of fear and respect to get Cinderella to follow her every beck and call.   Now again, she doesn't do much but you always get the feeling that Cinderella fears her.   Watching this film, I kept thinking why couldn't Mother Gothel have been more like you as she is perhaps one of the best examples of cruel parent villain.  One aspect that I think worked in making her feel really cold, was her voice. In how she just felt uncaring.  That was easily my favorite aspect of her.



My Final Thoughts



While this film does have a lot of flaws, I still think it is very enjoyable film.  The animation is gorgeous,  the story is good minus my one big issue with the rush of love and I will admit some of the characters are flat but still,   it's a good time.  Not one of my favorites and this may seem strange to say but I like the character of Cinderella more then I like the film.   Join me tomorrow for a Valentines Shorts Showcase review of...


Johnnie Fedora and Alice Blue Bonnet




No comments:

Post a Comment