Take A Look at Disney

5/4/17

A Look at Disney Investigates: Music Fridays # 184:Music From Dick Tracy






Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney.  Well, here's something that I thought I'd never cover on Music Fridays.  Madonna.   You see she released an album titled I'm Breathless as tie-in to Dick Tracy and sang the songs from the film as Breathless Mahoney.  Including the original version of Back In Business that was not included in the movie as Stephen Sondheim (Yes, the one that you are thinking of)  didn't think it fit the movie.   Now, for the sake of this blog, I've decided to only look at the songs that she recorded that were in the film.  With the exception of one song but we will get to that at the end.




Sooner Or Later







This song is sooo good.  It perfectly has the seductive nature that you expect from a character such as Breathless Mahoney.  This song is just such a delight as you hear Breathless sink her claws into trying to get Tracy and make him her man.  And you see that she'll stop at nothing to make this a reality.  


Back In Business (Film Version)






Yeah, this was my favorite song in the film.  It's just so fun and catchy that you can't help but have a good time as you listen to it.   Every single time, I listen to it, I have a big old smile on my face as it's just so cheery and fun.   And that makes the backdrop of the criminals performing their heinous deeds, all the funnier with this as a backdrop.  Now, let's listen to the Madonna version.



Back In Business (I'm Breathless)







This song isn't bad and I'm not sure why Sondheim felt that this song wouldn't fit.  As I think it would have and this song doesn't seem Breathless is singing it either.   Now,  I still do prefer the film version but I do think that there is a place for this song in the movie.  It's quite catchy and a lot of fun.  



More 







This is probably my favorite Madonna song from the movie as it's just so fun and reminds me of Medda Larkin's number from Newsies.    It really seems to have the flair and style to it as That's Rich from Newsies, so I think that made me predestined to like this number.  You can really hear Madonna put her all into the number and it really shows as she puts out quite a fun tune.   



What Can You Lose (with Mandy Patinkin) 


 




Now, there seems to be some debate as to whether or not this song was in the film or not and seeing as it's been a month since I've watched the film, I can't recall.   Though  I do like the number quite a bit,  it doesn't seem to match up with the rest of the film.  That doesn't make it bad but compared to all the other numbers that we've looked at, it doesn't gel with the rest of the musical style of the film.  



There you have it, my look at the music from Dick Tracy.  Now,  I know that I didn't look at all of the numbers but I mostly wanted to focus on the Madonna ones as  she had the heavy lifting, when it came to the music and I felt that she pulled it off rathe well.  Let me know what you think in the comments.  And join me next time as we look at the first episode of Darkwing Duck...





   

No comments:

Post a Comment