Take A Look at Disney

9/16/12

Mater Mondays: Heavy Metal Mater




Hello and welcome back to Mater Mondays.  Now this is more like it.  This short was a lot of  fun, join me as I take a look at Heavy Metal Mater.




The Plot


Again as with most of the shorts in this series,  the plot is rather simple.  As with majority of these shorts it opens at Flo's and it appears to be karaoke night and McQueen suggests that Mater should go up and sing.  Mater says nah, he wouldn't want to embarrass anyone as he used to be in a rock band and he even started in a garage band and we literally see the short transition to a house garage and we see Mater and his band, Mater and The Gas Caps practicing their only song.















Now I won't be going into much detail about the band as they're more or less just background characters. Mater and his band decide to get a gig and they perform at the Top Down Truckstop.  A location that was meant to appear in the first film but only appeared in the form of a deleted scene.  After this Mia & Tia who appear as waitresses ask if they had a record and then we see them go to a recording studio and because of a fly,   flying around the drummer, their sound changes from what sounded to me like Southern Rock to more of a parody of KISS.    Afterwards, we see them hit it big and it culminates at Motor Speedway of the South.  This is the second appearance that this location has made in Cars Toon and the third time that it's appeared in this world.       This is when we see McQueen come in and he looks awesome.  It's odd at first when watching this short, I thought of Meat Loaf but after rewatching this short for review, I kept on thinking of KISS.  Hmm, go figure. Either way,  it's a fun short.  I had a blast watching this and also even though it's hard to catch and it doesn't make much sense to me,  the Stanley statute makes a cameo appearance in this short in the recording studio.  Also Mia and Tia have two different appearances in this short. First as waitresses at the truck stop and then as Heavy Metal Mater fans.











I have to say personally that I prefer their fan designs.   Honestly,  this short was a lot of fun and silly.  And sometimes that's all you need.  Also I love how this short ends as a music video.  That was such a nice touch.




Characters


Heavy Metal Mater voiced by Larry The Cable Guy















As always I love the look of Mater in this short.   Now  with this short it feels as though that any character could've been used.  Normally,  that would be a negative but for some reason, it actually works quite well here.  It was a fun watch and while I wouldn't say that Mater felt extreme,  he did feel like a rock star.  Or at least  what I would think of and it was fun to watch.   I have to say that the best moment of this short involving Mater is when his bat wings pop out and I think that explains why I thought of Meat Loaf (at least for me)















I just thought that was so cool.



McQueen voiced by Keith Ferguson















Again, I love the look of McQueen and his get up makes me laugh.  I just think that the sunglasses are a hilarious touch.   Also the leather jacket is great.   Also McQueen  just has that look of  "I'm awesome and I know it!" and it works for this short quite well.  



My Final Thoughts


This short is so much fun.  I loved every minute of it.  This short is one of the best in my opinion,  it's probably # 4 in terms of favorites regarding these shorts.   I love this one a lot and I really suggest this one as it's a blast.  Join me next time as I take a look at...



No comments:

Post a Comment