Take A Look at Disney

2/25/14

Breaking Down The Scene: Rapunzel Confronts Mother Gothel (Tangled)






Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney. And back to Breaking Down The Scene, where I take a scene from a film that I like and  explain, why it works.  And today, we are turning my attention to my favorite modern Disney film, Tangled and today, we are taking a look at the scene, where Rapunzel confronts Mother Gothel.   For  some set up, we first need to go back a scene. so let's rewind.






Ah, here we are.





It was in this scene looking in the mirror that Rapunzel had the revelation that she was lost the princess and was flooded with images of her as a baby.





Now, our scene appropriately starts with Rapunzel stating this line.


I'm the lost princess 


And Mother Gothel claims  that "her" daughter was mumbling.  Going back to how Rapunzel had a mumbling problem early in the film but that was more really Gothel's way of brushing off what her daughter said and and she did the same thing here as well.










And Rapunzel has this great line.

Rapunzel: I am the lost princess, aren't I?... Did I mumble, Mother? Or should I even call you that?

It's a great line because Rapunzel is finally growing up and standing up to Gothel and just tired of dealing with everything that Gothel has done to her.  Now also take notice how Rapunzel shoves past Gothel, just like she is trying to brush Mother Gothel out of her life.    And Gothel still tries to convince Rapunzel that she was trying to protect her.


 Everything that I did was to protect... YOU.


There is a great emphasis put on you, because as I've brought up many times before Mother Gothel at points seemed to believe her lie that she truly loved "her" daughter and she was still trying to convince her that was the truth.  Also, if you notice when Gothel  goes to pet Rapunzel's hair,  Rapunzel stops her and grabs Gothel's arm as a sign of defiance.













This reminds me of a line from Mother Knows Best.


Shh trust me, pet


By Rapunzel grabbing Mother Gothel's arm and stopping her from petting her hair,  she is sending the message that she is not a pet and is a human being that is not going to be used. Which ties wonderfully into this line

 I've spent my entire life hiding from people who would use me for my powers?


Now,  another key aspect of this scene that one really needs to take into consideration as important is when Mother Gothel is pushed into the mirror after her scuffle with Rapunzel, the mirror breaks.

 












Why is this important?  Well,  early in the movie, we see how much Gothel's looks mean to her.












“Look in that mirror. I see a strong, confident, beautiful young lady.    Oh look, you're here too”


But with the mirror broken,  Gothel's looks are pretty much all for not at this point and she knows that she is losing.


There is one last aspect of this scene tat is crucial in why it works, so well.  The lighting.  Notice how darkly lit, this scene is. Contrast that to say When Will My Life Begin, which was very bright and vibrant.














This particular scene is darkly lit to highlight the serious nature and very real situation that Rapunzel is facing as she after 18 years is finally confronting her captor and standing up for herself.














The lighting is so dark here to accommodate the seriousness of what is going on. This scene would lose it's weight, if it were lit like say  When Will My Life Begin.The right lighting can enhance the mood, while the wrong lighting can ruin it.  And thankfully, this is a case of the former.


There you have it,  my break down of Rapunzel confronting Mother Gothel and why I think this scene works as well as it does.  Do you think this scene works well and what's your favorite scene from Tangled?  And if you have any suggestions for Breaking Down the Scene, let me know in the comments. I'll just be off listening to When Will My Life Begin?  Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment