Take A Look at Disney

7/15/11

Music Fridays # 15: Pixar Songs

Things have gotten bumped around a bit due in part to both my trip and taking part in that Rainbow Reviewer Project. This week's Music Fridays was supposed to be # 14 but I wanted to get the Rainbow Reviewer Special out as early as possible. Anyways with that out of the way, I'll be taking a look at my favorite Pixar songs in honor of the release of Cars 2. Let's begin.


Our Town - James Taylor





Let's start with my favorite Pixar song from one of my favorite Pixar films. That is Cars and the song is Our Town. It's hard to say why I like this song but I think part of it's charm is that the song describes what the all American small town used to bel like but times change and people change.  In this song, the town of Radiator Springs becomes a character and we once again witnes how the town changed and people err, cars start to ignore their roots and where they came from and what made this country great. The USA is made up of great small towns but they have become overshadowed by big congested cities. Honestly in some regards it feels as though if your city isn't featured on TV, these day nobody cares about it. To me, this song shows what happens when we stop caring for the simple things in life and forget waht is truly important.



When She Loved Me -   Sarah Mclanchlan




As I stated in my Toy Story 2 review, I feel that this is the best Pixar film and this song is part of the reason, why.  In this song, we get to see how a toy feels as their owner grows up and moves on.  Things changed and for Jessie, it wasn't for the better.  She still loved Emily but Emily didn't. This song reminds me of all the old toys, I let go of and makes me wonder what would they say if they could actually talk before I got rid of some of them.  Who knew, a song about a toy could be so heartbreaking? That's the thing, you have to look past that because this song is actually about a relationship that is ending while one part is oblivious to the fact that they are hurting the other person in this relationship.


If I Didn't Have You - Billy Crystal & John Goodman




Now about we lighten up the mood with this song after those rather somber songs. This song is pretty underrated when it comes to Pixar Songs. As seen by the video, this song is from Monsters Inc.  This one is nice as we just get to hear Mike and Sully talk about their freindship and how they would feel incomplete wihtout each other. In that regard, I think we can all relate to this song because we all have that one freind who is part of our life and if they were to just vanish,  our life would feel empty. Honestly, this song reminds that sometimes the relationship we have with our best freinds can be stronger than the relationship we have with our siblings. Not a hit on siblings but with a best freind, you sometimes just develop a tighter bond and connection.


You've  Got a Freind In Me - Randy Newman





Now I knew there was no way that I could not include this classic Pixar song. Again, we have a song about freindship and how our friends will always be there for us, no matter what. They will always have our backs and I have to say there is something extra special about finding a video of Randy Newman actually performing this song. I know Pixar calls John Ratzenberger, their good luck charm as he has been in every Pixar film but in a way, Newman is their music good luck charm as he has done the music for most of the pixar films. The only one that I know he didn't do the music for was Cars 2.  Even still, this was a great performance and I just get  chills listening to this song. It takes me back to the first time I watched this movie when I was a little kid and how awed I was by what I was seeing.  It's a Pixar classic in terms of songs.


All right, I hope you have enjoyed this look at Pixar songs, join me next week when we visit Pooh Bear for songs from the 100 Acre Woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment