Take A Look at Disney

1/23/12

Classic Shorts Showcase: The Flying Mouse

Hello and welcome back to Classic Shorts Showcase.  Today, I'll be taking a look at The Flying Mouse. The story of a young mouse who wants to fly up in the sky with the birds.



The Plot


Well, I kinda already gave you the plot a young mouse boy wishes that he could have wings so that he could fly with the birds.  His wish is granted after he saves a butterfly from a spider.  (Picture down below)   The butterfly is then revealed to be a fairy who has an uncanny resemblance to the Blue Fairy.   The Fairy asks him what he wants and he says to fly.  The Mouse tells her and she grants his wish and then he soon learns that you should just be happy to be yourself.    Tale is all right and the moral's there and it doesn't feel tacked on.













Characters 




Sadly,  I couldn't find the voice list for this short but I do know that Clarence "Ducky" Nash was in it.  Really for this short, there are only two characters that I wish to focus on. So, I won't even be breaking it down like usual.


The Mouse












The Mouse is an all right character, he's your typical "I have a Dream" character and as seen here, his dream does come true.  It's shown that more than anything else he wants wings so that he can fly but after he gets his wings, he realizes that  they don't make him happy and they make him look weird.  That isn't said outright but that's the gist of it.   He's a simple character but he works for this short.


The Fairy












Seriously, doesn't she look like the Blue Fairy?  Anyways moving on from that, The Fairy as I've stated before is the one that grants The Mouse's wish to have wings but he was also trying to teach him a lesson of be happy with who you are. Admittedly, this caught me off guard at first but again,   I got what they were trying to do and it worked.


My Final Thoughts


This was an all right short. All of the elements worked to tell the story, it wanted but I don't think I'd go back and watch it anytime soon. It's not bad but it's also not one of my favorites.  Still, I say give it  a watch.  Join me next time when I review...

Chicken Little (1943)












2 comments:

  1. It was a very cute short, and I keep thinking that Disney's cartoon animation was the best for early Silly Symphonies. Also, every time when I hear those mice laughing, it reminded me of the Pig Brothers, and the laugh made me think the Three Little Pigs Theme song is about to start any moment. :) I agree that the fairy is really similar to Blue Fairy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that this is some of their best animation and I find it funny the laugh also reminded you of the Pigs.

      Delete