Take A Look at Disney

1/28/12

Dumbo Week: Top 6 Timothy Q. Mouse Moments





Folks, this Friday is my birthday and I knew that I wanted to do something special.  Therefore I have decided to dedicate an entire week to my favorite film starring a lovable little pachyderm  and his little mouse friend from Brooklyn.  (How many of you knew that Dumbo took place in New York?)   For this week I'm going all out Dumbo on you and that does mean no Classic Shorts Showcase this week but that'll resume after this week.   Here is a list of what to expect besides this first article.  Can We Talk about The Crows, Dumbo's Circus  (Help me), Dumbo (Re review) , Music Fridays # 41: Baby Mine Cover.  I'll freely admit that two of these are re reviews but that's because I feel I can do them better. When I did my first review of Dumbo, I wasn't happy with the end result and as for Dumbo's Circus, I had a hard time making it through that because of the fact that there was no TIMOTHY and Dumbo talked!  I'm going to give the  show a second chance and give it the episode review treatment but that is one part of Dumbo week, I'm not looking forward to.



With that long winded introduction out of the way, let's begin.  I've made it no secret that Timothy The Mouse is one of my favorite Disney characters and while he may not have appeared in much outside of his film when compared to Jiminy Cricket,  he still has his moments that make him shine and would make me put him above Jiminy any day of  the week.  This list consists of what I consider the Top 6 Timothy The Mouse moments.


6.   The Mouse's Tale



Technically, 6 & 5  were cut but  they still count as they involve Timothy and I think they are good moments.   Number 6 is a deleted scene titled The Mouse's Tale where Timothy realizes that Dumbo isn't afraid of mice as most elephants are and decides to  tell him a story of how things used to be different and how elephants used to be smaller than mice and would run in fear from the mice. Admittedly, I like the scene and Timothy's narration is fun but I can see why it was cut from the film as it wouldn't flow very well with the rest of the film but still at the same time it is always fun getting to see a deleted scene involving these characters.  


5.  Are You a Man or a Mouse?





Again, this was cut from the film but I feel this is more in line with the character of Timothy as Timothy is meant to be Dumbo's support and with this song, we see him trying to cheer Dumbo up and let him know that things will get better and you just look at the bright side. It always amazes me to find these songs that were cut, some I understand and to  a certain extent I can see why this one was cut but part of me wishes that it had been kept in because I feel it would have made the relationship between Dumbo and Timothy that much stronger.




4.  Getting Rid of The Pink Elephants from The House of Mouse



Funny, when I did my Jiminy Cricket list, there was  a House of Mouse moment and here we are again.  To set up this scene, Mickey and Minnie were about to go on vacation an left Donald and Daisy in charge of the club for their absence.  As seen Daisy booked the Pink Elephants and the only person that was able to get rid of them was good ol'  Timothy and  I don't know the way, he went about doing it while simple in a Wile Coyote manner in holding up a sign that says BOO!  is pretty funny.  Not laugh out loud funny but it gets a chuckle out of me. This is a great lead in for the # 3 spot...


3.  Drunk Timothy  



Okay, I just noticed the caption and that actually makes this funnier.  I'll admit that Pink Elephants is probably my least favorite song from Dumbo,  I feel that it stops the movie cold but that doesn't mean, I don't find Timothy drunk unfunny. It is pretty funny especially this scene where we see hugging the bubble that his reflection.  This is one of those jokes that as a young kid I found funny but now that I'm older, it's funnier knowing the context. 


2.    Timothy Standing Up  To The Crows











 You all oughta be ashamed of yourselves. A bunch of big guys like you, pickin' on a poor little orphan like him. Suppose you was torn away from your mother when you was just a baby. Nobody to tuck you in at nights. No warm, soft, caressin' trunk to snuggle inta. How would you like being left out alone, in a cold, cruel, heartless woild? And why? I ask ya, why? Just because he's got those big ears, they call him a freak. The laughing stock of the coicus. And when his mother tried to protect him, they threw her into the clink. And on top of that, they made him a clown! Socially he's washed up! Aw, but what's the use of talkin' to you cold-hearted boids? Go ahead! Have your fun! Laugh at him! Kick him now that he's down! Go on! We don't care.



I think this moment speaks for itself but in case you need a reminder, this comes after Dumbo is made fun of by the Crows and again this line shows how much Timothy cares for Dumbo and would do anything to protect the little guy.  Again, it goes back to showing that Timothy will always stick up for Dumbo.


1.   Taking Dumbo  to See Mrs. Jumbo












My # 1 Timothy moment is him taking Dumbo to see his mother which leads into the one of the happiest/saddest Disney songs ever.  You all know, which song I'm talking about.  To me this little scene shows how much Timothy cares for Dumbo and that he  knows Dumbo misses his mother. This is probably the sweetest thing that he does for Dumbo throughout the entire film.  Words can't describe how perfect this moment is other beautifully simple.   


There you have it, my Top 6 Timothy The Mouse Moments.   Join me tomorrow for a Can We talk about as I tackle one of the most often looked down upon aspects of this film.   The Crows.



No comments:

Post a Comment