Take A Look at Disney

6/3/12

Frollo Vs. Mother Gothel







Hello and welcome back to Vs.  This is one that I've had in the back of my head for the longest time but I just couldn't figure out how to do it. That is until now,   today on Vs.,   it is Frollo Vs. Mother Gothel.   The categories for this Vs. will consist of  Personality,  Desire,  Song,  Death, and The Film Factor.   Just as a reminder Death is used to judge only the villains.  



Personality



Frollo 


With Frollo, he is cold and doesn't care about anything or anyone and was only guilt tripped into taking Quasimodo as he would have left him to die otherwise.    I mean he may be a man of God but I think God wouldn't be too proud of the work he's done.  Yet at times, it seems as though he is struggling with inner demons mostly over Esmeralda.   This makes him such a well rounded character and it makes it so much  fun to watch him develop into the villain of the film.



Mother Gothel


Make nos mistake, Gothel is evil but  it is more in a comedic manner.   She's not a bad villain but I think,  she is perhaps the least memorable character of Tangled.  Honestly, the first thing that popped into my mind when seeing her was Evil Bette Middler.   Part of the problem with this character is that I feel that were not able to balance the comedy and the evilness.  When one worked, it really worked but when it fell flat, it fell really flat and in that regard this round goes too...


Frollo







Desire


Frollo


With Frollo's desire, it's strange and he's a unique villain in that he already has power and has no need for money. Rather his desire is to wipe his city of the gypsies and he has the means to do it.  I think this makes his desire rather creepy because people like Frollo do exist and have gotten what they wanted.     I think this is part of why,  Frollo ranks so high on my list of villains.



Mother Gothel



With Gothel, her desire is on a lesser scale she  keeps and uses Rapunzel for her own personal needs to stay young and beautiful.    Her desire is to stay young and to me  that is a bit cliched and not on as a grand scale as Frollo's and I honestly think that I have to give it to...


Frollo









Death









Damn, what a way to go.  Frollo  went out hard and there is just something about the scope of this scene that makes it all the more epic.  Everything from the line to the Gargoyle that is looking at him   The sword and the line.  This is such a great death.



Mother Gothel





Sorry about that but the search engine was being goofy.  Anyways as for this death, it's not bad....  until you see Gothel become dust in the wind.   There it loses something. I'll admit I think it's creative how just by cutting Rapunzel's hair, she is defeated but when she becomes dust, it loses some of it's power.  Though I must admit I love the look on Rapunzel's face as she watches Mother Gothel who has raised for all these years die.  There does seem to be a bit of sorrow on her face but it's not enough to help Gothel win as this round goes too...


Frollo









Song


Hellfire (Frollo)




God, this song is just pure awesome and this goes back to what I was saying about  Frollo having to struggle with inner demons and this is such a great song and I love it.     This  is also a unique villain song in that Frollo is not singing about desires, well okay he is but the emphasis is more on his struggles and I really like that.  


Mother Knows Best (Reprise)(Mother Gothel)





What,  okay I hate the  first version of this song and to give Gothel a fair chance,  I wanted to use the reprise as I find it to be the superior version of this song and  this one actually sounds like a villain song.  In the short amount of time that this reprise is given, it makes Gothel feel threatening and sets her up as a villain so much better than  the  first version of this song.  This is a tough call as I like both of these but in the end, I think Hellfire is the better song. Therefore, this round goes too..


Frollo 









The Film Factor



The final round folks, not that it matters as Frollo  is in the lead and will win.   As a reminder, this round looks at which character works better in their respective film.


Frollo

Frollo when onscreen commands the presence of the scene and your attention turns to him.   His evilness shines through so well and it is just fun and perfect and rarely overshadowed by other characters.  Truthfully, he is one of the best characters in this film.



Mother Gothel


Now with Mother Gothel, she's not a bad character but I will admit that I do find her to be the least memorable character of the entire film.  Again, she's not a bad character but  I don't feel her presence commands the power that a villain should. Again not a bad character but  I think at the end of the day, I have to give this round to...


Frollo







The End Result


So for the first time ever on Vs., we have a clean sweep with Frollo taking every round and you know that is part of the reason why I originally didn't want to do this one as I was afraid something like that would happen but I'm glad to finally have it out of my system.    Tell me what you think in the comments. Peace!













2 comments:

  1. Nice job, but when I saw the names no contest Frollo hands down! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and that was part of the reason it took me so long to write this one. Because every which way, I looked at it, I knew Frollo was going to win every category and I usually like to even it out but there was just no way, this time.

      Delete