Take A Look at Disney

7/30/12

Can We Talk about 7D





You have crossed the line. It is one thing to make those lazy ass cheapquels to the Disney films.  Yes, Dumbo II was thankfully cancelled but I could have lived with that if it meant that I had never had to see this.














There are films in the Disney library that should never be touched.  Perhaps the biggest one is Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs.  Yes, that's right folks.  Those things before you are supposed to be Sleepy, Sneezy, Dopey, Happy, Grumpy, Doc, Bashful,   NO!  Those aren't the dwarfs.  














These are the dwarfs.   Not those things up there.  Do I take issue with the fact that those characters look nothing the dwarfs that are so beloved?  Yes, I do.  Do I take issue with the fact that this show is being worked on by Noah Z. Jones,  who created one of the worst show on Disney Channel in it's entire history?  Absoultey.  For those wondering, that show is Fish Hooks.














I can live with that this is a prequel to Snow White and that she doesn't even appear in this show.   The thing I hate about this show is that it just feels wrong.   Look,  I'm not saying every film Walt has worked on is untouchable as some great stage shows and remakes have been made from movies, he worked on.  But here's the difference, they respected the source material.  I do not get the same feeling from this.  I have not been so livid at a project since the cancelled Dumbo II was announced as Walt Disney's Dumbo II.  I can live with Davis because back then, the Disney Channel was new and still trying to find it's footing.


 Sure, I hate that show with a passion but it has been around since '83, that's a little over 20 years. They should not be making mistakes like this.  Oh, sure you could use the argument that Walt based his film on a fairy tale and he changed things. Yes, true but let's face the facts, this show is supposed  to feature the dwarfs from his film.   And guess what,  they aren't there! Is this article, a bit fanboyish?  Yes, it is but I had to unleash on this thing. This idea just pisses me off.  Look if there are any parents reading this that kids of the Disney Junior viewing age, please just show them the film and ignore this show.  Even though I'll tuning to review this as I made a promise to review this about a year ago and I'm one to keep my promise. Who knows? Maybe it'll be good but I highly doubt it.


I think that I've made it clear that I do not hold this show in high regard.  There is just something about this that bugs me.   It just feels  wrong to touch Walt's first film and do something like this.  Yes, I know that this sounds like a fanboy complaint and perhaps it's one that I consider this film sacred and touching  it sacrilegious. Perhaps but let's use an example here.  The Star Wars prequels.
















In a way,  I view this as Disney's Star Wars prequels.  This is just a bad idea.  Okay, maybe I should give you a little bit of the plot. Apparently the dwarfs work for the queen of Jollywood (really)  to protect the kingdom from tow clumsy villains.  Grim and Hildy Gloom.  Yes, this is apparently a comedic take on the world of these character but still that just feels wrong.  Certain characters can work for comedy based TV shows such as Timon and Pumbaa and while, the dwarfs in a way had comedic moments, they really weren't comic relief.   Rather, they were just other characters in the film that served a purpose and they were fun characters. Sure, there were funny moments with the dwarfs but I really wouldn't label them as comic relief.

At the end of the day,  I do not feel that this show will be good. I hope that I'm proven wrong but even still I'll always have my issues with this show because it just doesn't feel right to do this. Ah, well let's end this on a happy note.



No comments:

Post a Comment