Take A Look at Disney

8/6/12

Top 6 Disney Films/TV Shows that Could Work As a Lego Set



I've been wanting to do another  Disney & Lego article but there didn't seem to be enough material.   Because even though I went to BrickFair, again this year and they had some nice models including Agent P and Serenity from Firefly. Dummy me, I didn't take any pictures. I also saw that that Lego is now making a Disney Princess Duplo line and I didn't want to write an entire article about that but I must say I do like the idea. Though I'll give my brief thoughts on them here before we get to the list.  Also I'll freely admit that part of this list was inspired by a certain In Too Deep counting down franchises that needed their own Lego Video Games.  First, before we get to the list, my thoughts on the  Duplo Disney Princess line.  



Part of me isn't surprised to see as this as in the last few years, The Lego Group has been trying to break a stigma they've had for ages as them making toys exclusively for boys. Technically,  this isn't true as they have dipped into the girl market before with Bellville.  Which didn't resemble Lego at all. 


Well to say that they didn't resemble Lego at all isn't fair of all the sets produced for Belville but it does feel as though they distanced themselves using a different body structure for the minifigures. Whereas with the new Disney Princess Line, looking at the figs there, they look like most of the Duplo figs.  This is just a small thing but I think Lego may finally be realizing that you can make girl toys without making them too different from the toys that you've already made. This does seem to be a step in the right direction. With this out of the way, let's get to the list.


6. Kim Possible/Mickey Mouse




Okay, so technically number 6 is a bit of a cheat and that is the reason why, I placed them both at # 6. The reason I'm saying these are a bit of a cheat is because with how long KP has been off the air, there is no way Lego would consider it and well with Mickey, you'll see why  I said after I've wrapped on my thoughts on KP.  Kim Possible, looking at it is a show that I honestly think would've worked wonderfully with the Lego franchise because so many different things could've been done with the show.  You could've had all of her gadgets for KP and for minifigures, you could do it to where, you have her season 1 - 3 outfit and her season 4 outfit. Also while we are on this subject, check out these cool Lego KP minifigure designs that I found online. 





I could also see a good Bueno Nacho set coming out of this and there is another reason, I chose KP.  There is another big reason that I chose Kim Possible.  You see majority of the big franchise based brands all have a strong male lead. Not bad but I do feel that if Lego wanted to break that  "Lego are for boys", I feel that KP would've been a great choice because Kim is a great female character and I honestly feel that she would've broken that stigma a long time ago and it would also have gotten boys to buy the KP sets, I feel because Kim is a character that both boys and girls can like.  I say this because Kim is a strong role model for girls and there is action for boys.  Disappointment, that we will never get to see this, really.   Now let's move onto  what tied with KP.   Now I do realize what some of you may be thinking as back in my first  Lego & Disney article, I pointed out that there was a Mickey Mouse Lego line at one point.


Here's the thing though, I think it can be done better.  The way I see it, there is a way that this could be done in a fashion similar to that of Toy Story and Cars in how they both had sets in the Duplo series and the main series.  For instance,  you could perhaps  base the Duplo sets on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and use them as a tool for education such as teaching the numbers and the alphabet.   Now for the main line, I'm thinking you could go back to the classic Mickey shorts and make sets based on Steamboat Willie, The Band Concert (Please!), or The Brave Little Tailor.  Apparently on Lego CUSOO, a site where you can vote on for what you think should be the next set, someone submitted a Steamboat Willie design. Not bad but maybe I'm being a nitpicky fanboy here but I do feel that if a Steamboat Willie should be made, it should be made with black & white pieces only.  I think that this would be something that A.F.O.L's (Adult fans of Lego) who are also hardcore Disney fans would love. Not to say that  you can't get these from fan made sites but I do think there is just something about it being official that would just feel special.  Perhaps I'm just waxing over nostalgia here but I honestly do think that Lego could pull off a decent Mickey Mouse line for both age groups. And one more thing if they do go back down this route, please remember to include other characters such as Goofy and Donald.



5.   Dumbo





Yes, there is some bias here and for those wondering why, I only ranked Dumbo at # 5. That's because unlike some other ideas that I have in my head. The only way I see this one working as a Duplo line.  Oh, don't get me wrong, I still love Dumbo but I don't think he'd fit in the main Lego line.  I think one of the biggest things that'd make Dumbo work especially for a Duplo set is that it is set in a circus and that has bright and vibrant colors.  Which is something that you see a lot of in Duplo sets and Okay, I just want someone to make a Dumbo set.  The only hard part I see here is how would you do Timothy The Mouse. I guess you could them like their flat piece characters but I don't know.   I mean can't you just see the big climax of the film when Dumbo finally flies or when he is in the tower.  Apparently, someone could as they built that.




And of course, Casey Jr. That'd be great. That would be such a cute Lego Duplo train.  Heck, if they ever did make this one real, I'd have to buy a Lego Dumbo for myself.  





4.  Tarzan



Seriously, Lego, this would be AWESOME!  Okay, hear me out on this. Yes,  this would be aimed at boys more than likely and just like KP, I don't think it'd happen as this film has not been relevant for a while but I really think that this would work because Lego has done sets that take place in exotic locations such as their Indy set and hell, even before that there was their Adventurers  theme.




Now out of everything from this movie, I think that the two biggest things I would've loved to see would have been the Trashin' The Camp sequence.  There is just so much that could be done and so many great pieces could be fun and you'd have characters like Terk and Tantor messing around and the camp would be pretty nice in size.  The other piece from this film that I'd love to see would be Tarzan's tree house.  That would just be so gorgeous with all of the colors and the scope.  I could just imagine how the little details such as the bridge on the tree house that you could put in here and I could even see this working into a Lego Tarzan: Video Game.  Okay, that'd be really awesome.  Who's with me and seriously if they do that a Lego Phil Collins needs to be an unlockable character. 



3.  Monsters Inc.  



With Monsters University coming out next year,  a Lego set based on the first film and the upcoming prequel would be a great tie in for the film.  I do think that the figures for the characters would be trick to pull off and Lego would probably have to create some new molds because looking at it, Boo is the only human character and they have their human characters down to a science.  As for what you could turn into sets, well that's easy. There are so many options here such as the factory, the abominable snowman's cave,  the doors,  Harryhausen's, and heck even Mike's New Car.  


Now just like the Dumbo model, if you go online you can find some Lego Monsters Inc. models






2. Aladdin  



This is one that I had in my mind for the longest time. Just like Tarzan,  I honestly think that Aladdin would lends itself well to Lego especially if they make a game with all the humor but for now, let's just focus on what could work. Some of the big set pieces from the film that I'd love to see.  I think that the big ones I'd like to see would have to be the Cave of Wonders and the Sultan's Palace. Heck, I'd even like to see the Sultan's Palace after Jafar had taken it over. One of the big reasons that Sultan's Palace would work is that Lego has released a Taj Mahal and that is a bit similar to Sultan's Palace in design and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if Disney based that palace off the Taj Mahal.




Also just as with some of the other things pointed out on how some fans have taken it upon themselves, some people out there have made Aladdin minifigures.  At best, I found Aladdin, Jafar, and Genie. 




If you want to take this another step further even at the Lego Store in Downtown  (Disneyland),  which includes a lot of great Disney Lego models such as Belle and Beast there is an Aladdin one.  





I realize that saying just because they have a model of it is a stretch to say they should turn it into a set but  I don't know and honestly going back to what I said about Tarzan, I feel that Aladdin with all of the action in it would lend itself quite well to a Lego series and oh before I forget on the back of Carpet, you'll find Abu.







1. Phineas and Ferb



As soon I came up with this list, I knew that Phineas and Ferb had to be my # 1. Seriously, the possibilities are endless as to what Lego could do here.   Honestly, all Lego would have to do is look at all of the boy's inventions and boom, there is your line up for Phineas and Ferb and heck, you could even do the same with Doof's inators.  All they would have to do is go through go through the episodes look at the inventions they think would work as Lego sets and then come up with the designs for them.  Of course, if they did an inator, they would have to include Agent P.  No problem,  they could actually do two Perry figures, one as just Perry and one as Agent P.  Honestly, I think the hardest part about doing Phineas and Ferb would be the heads for the boys but I'm convinced that Lego could pull it off. Plus if they go online, like most everything else I've featured on here, they can get some design ideas such as for the box.



Looking at this box, it's pretty obvious what the person behind it did. They built their Phineas and Ferb model. Which isn't that bad looking and then found one of the Toy Story boxes as that is most certainly the right look for a Toy Story box and removed the Toy Story picture and logo and replaced it with their Phineas and Ferb model and the Phineas and Ferb logo and where the characters would go, they put Phineas and Ferb there. The only odd thing about this is that on the Lego logo, they took out the word, Lego. Hmm.  Anyways for a better comparison take a look at this Toy Story box.  










There you have it, my Top 6 Disney Films and TV Shows that I feel could work as a Lego set.  Trust me there are many more I thought of but they just came up short such as The Lion King. The more I thought about that I could not see it working and the same is true of Finding Nemo, which I had my list at one point but I wasn't sure if it could actually work.  At the end of the day, this is just a fun list of what Disney properties I think could've or in the case of one would've worked as a line of Lego sets. For those wondering why films such as The Little Mermaid didn't make an appearance. That's because I assume with the Disney Princess Duplo line, we will more than likely see other princess characters in the future. Piece!



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete