Take A Look at Disney

2/13/13

Valentines Shorts Showcase: Johnnie Fedora and Alice Blue Bonnet

Hello & welcome back. Today for our special Valentines Shorts Showcase. I'm taking a look at a short that captures love, loss and getting back  love quite well.  Join me as I take a look at Johnnie Fedora and Alice Blue Bonnet.




The Plot


The plot here is pretty basic as it opens at hat shop, where we meet Johnnie Fedora and Alice Blue Bonnet and from the moment they meet, they know they are meant to be together and Johnnie is even dreams of having a family with Alice.













Sadly, it seemed as though these dreams were not to be as Alice had been bought by a woman leaving Johnnie at the store by himself just thinking of his love.














Later in the short,  Johnnie is bought and this is where I go from just liking the short to loving it. As throughout Johnnie's time in the town, he tries to find Alice to reunite with her and you can feel how hard Johnnie is looking for his love as he just wants to get back with her and there are multiple times, when Johnnie just comes up short of finding his love.   We see later in the short that Johnnie is about to give up as he doesn't think that he'll ever find Alice and I didn't want him to give up because I knew that I wanted Johnnie and Alice to be together.  Through many different moments such as a bar fight or almost drowning,  you can feel how strong Johnnie's love is and this short showed how far, he'd go to be with Alice.














Now at the end of the short, Johnnie and Alice do get back together as we see.














I thought this was very sweet and you could just feel how much these two loved each other.   The story for this short was very strong and what amazed me is that Johnnie and Alice never said a word as this entire story was told through song sung wonderfully by The Andrews Sisters. Because of that fact, I'm skipping narration as I'd rather talk about their contribution to this short with the music.






Characters


Now there is no need to break  down the characters, if any further then this.    With that out of the way, let's begin.



Johnnie Fedora



















Johnnie is easily one of the most endearing characters from any short and watching his search for Alice is what makes him so likable as you can feel how much he love Alice and just want to see him succeed in his search and I was so happy, when he finally got back together with Alice at the end.




Alice


















Now Alice didn't get much in the way of time on screen as really, Johnnie was the main focal point of this short as it was more about Johnnie trying to find Alice to reunite with her and in that aspect, she served her purpose.



Music


Johnnie Fedora and Alice Blue Bonnet








This song is perhaps the most crucial part of this short as it is how the plot of the story is given.   Now I'm sure, you could get an idea of what the story is without the images as the song does such a good job of conveying the story.  This is easily my favorite part of this short as this song is just cute and it has a novelty feeling to it, that just works so well.




My Final Thoughts



This is such a beautiful short that I feel captures love so wonderfully.  You can feel the love that Johnnie and Alice have for each other and know that it is real.   This is a short that I cannot suggest enough.  This is easily one of the best things I've ever watched.  Join me tomorrow as I close Valentines Week with a special Music Fridays all about Love.

1 comment:

  1. Appreciate the recommendation. Will try it out.
    Also visit my blog post - tile cleaning

    ReplyDelete