Take A Look at Disney

6/16/13

Can We Talk about Planes




Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney. Planes, the upcoming spin-off film of Cars. Why am I not excited about this?  Some set up before we get to the topic, Cars as I have pointed out in the past is one of my favorite movies and easily my favorite Pixar film. It surpassed Toy Story 2 to claim that honor. Cars 2, I'll admit it's not good but unlike a majority of the world, I don't hate it. But it lacks when compared to Cars.   You'd think that as a fan of Cars, I'd be excited about this film as it explores more of this world but I can't bring myself to find any excitement for it and that disappoints me.  So,  I'm going to go over just why I'm left with a feeling of "meh" regarding Planes.    Let's start with the trailer.






That is a great trailer but it just didn't sell it for me.  And it is nice to see things from the Cars universe in this trailer such as one of the tractors.  And the cast seems solid, even if I'm not a fan of Dane Cook. But to be fair, I'm not a fan of Owen Wilson but I liked him as McQueen.    Then what is my issue with this film?   Okay, look I freely admit that Cars is a cash cow. Right, wrong or indifferent.  It is but this to me seems to be the most blatant and most unnecessary milking of said cow.  Lasster stated that he wanted to explore more of the world of Cars and see what the other machines were like. Fine but do those as shorts, maybe. I just don't believe Planes can sustain a theatrical run.  Which that brings me to another point about this film.  It was originally meant to be direct-to-video but then it was decided to release it to theaters. This isn't the first time that Disney has done this.  Because they also did this with Doug's 1st Movie, The Jungle Book 2, and Return To Neverland.  And admittedly the latter is not that bad.




















And just because you can release a film to theaters, even if it was meant to be direct-to-video doesn't mean you should.  Doug's 1st Movie is a clear example of this.  That should've been a season finale, not a movie. Because it didn't enough material to sustain a theatrical movie.      And with Planes, it has so many things working against it.   The first one is that it's too soon after Cars 2 in my opinion to be releasing another film set in.    Secondly, this may seem shallow but  these characters to me just don't seem to have the same charm I found in any of the Cars characters.  Don't get me wrong, they look as though, they fit in this world but I feel nothing when looking at them.




And I think the biggest thing that works against in it feeling like an organic movie and not one made to ride off the success of Cars is that it has already been announced that there will be a sequel. And this will be a trilogy. Why?  Wouldn't you rather wait and see how the film preforms before making this decision.  I mean, Planes isn't even out yet and there's already a teaser poster for Planes 2.   Seriously, guys?




Let me put it this way, I've actively avoided anything regarding Planes because  I don't want to be hurt by this film.  Because as I said, I love Cars and I don't want this film to hurt my fandom.  I mean it already pains me a little that Pixar isn't working on this film and instead it's being handled by DisneyToon.   Don't get me wrong DisneyToon has done some fine stuff such as A Goofy Movie but they are also responsible for some of the direct-to-video sequels.   My biggest issue is that I'd have a little more faith in this if Pixar were working on it because Pixar brought this world to life and I think they should be the ones to  helm this project.    I don't know.  At the end of the day, I still have Cars to love and cherish but I just wish that I could get excited about this film. What are your guy's thoughts? Tell me in the comments. Peace!



No comments:

Post a Comment