Take A Look at Disney

4/29/14

A Look at Disney Sets Sail For Adventure (Beaking Down The Scene): Silver's Speech (Treasure Planet)










Hello  & welcome back to A Look at Disney and today, we continue charting the rough seas as we take a look at one of the greatest scenes from one of my favorite Disney films, Treasure Planet.  Now originally,  this was going to be a Top 6 Treasure Planet Moments and for preparation,  I did re-watch the film but it was too hard to narrow down,  so instead,  I've decided to hone in, what  I consider to be one of the most key moments in the film.      Silver's speech to Jim


Now  for some setup,  this scene comes after Mr. Arrow  is lost and goes overboard while passing through a supernova and Jim blames himself for the death of Arrow as it was his job to secure the lifelines.  In reality,  it was the insectoid creature, Scroop that cut the rope  but as we see later in this scene,  Jim is beating himself up over it because he doesn't have the best track record as he wasn't  always the best kid and  as we see   at the beginning of the film was a bit of a troublemaker.














Getting  back to this scene,  I can easily pinpoint the reason why this scene works so well.  The dialogue from Silver and more so, Brian Murray's delivery of Silver's speech.



  Now you listen to me, James Hawkins. You got the makings of greatness in you, but you got to take the helm and chart your own course. Stick to it, no matter the squalls! And when the time comes you get the chance to really test the cut of your sails, and show what you're made of... well, I hope I'm there, catching some of the light coming off you that day.


The way,  this speech is delivered by  Murray as Silver is so genuine and sincere that there is no doubt in my mind that Silver believes every word that he is saying.  He means all of it.  And  I would argue that this moment is  the point in the film where Silver goes from just being someone that Jim can rely on to becoming his father figure in the movie. Because that speech is the words of a father coming out, encouraging the son.   It  is one of the most beautiful moments  in this film as it shows why this relationship is so special.  Now, it's funny,  I used to think that the moment that started the father/son relationship was I'm Still Here (Jim's Theme)














I'd argue that while, this song is a good set up for what is to come and does a great job of showing the parallels between Jim's real father, who walked out on him and Silver, who becomes his father,  it is ultimately with his speech that Silver becomes the father in the relationship.  And I'll  be honest, that speech is just one of many moments in this gorgeous film that can make me misty eyed.   While  everything else is great about this scene,  it is at the end of the day, the speech that makes it work.


I know, there are some people out there that don't like this movie but I love this movie and it holds a special place in my heart as being the first movie I saw in theaters by myself.  I was a 12 year old boy going to this, while my big sister went to some other movie.  I don't remember what she saw but I never forgot this movie and as I've grown older, I've grown to appreciate this movie even more as it in my opinion, one of the most mature movies in the Disney canon and very respectful to the older audience that may be seeing it and this speech as I pointed out is just beautiful and hits me every time.  This may be the shortest entry in Breaking Down The Scene to date but there really isn't too much to say on this because once you watch the clip, you'll figure out for yourself, why  this scene works so well.     However, there will be more Treasure Planet as we continue upon this voyage.  Well now,  I've looked at Muppet Treasure Island and a clip from Treasure Planet.  Come aboard tomorrow as I take a look at the original as we hoist Treasure Island up onto the S.S.  Fluttershy.  Yeah, that's  what I'm calling my ship.


No comments:

Post a Comment