Take A Look at Disney

5/14/14

A Look at The Magic of Disney In Storybrooke: My Thoughts on Elsa Coming To Once Upon A Time.







Hello  &  welcome    to the first   A Look at  Disney/Magic  of Storybrooke  article.  I know  that I haven't  finished reviewing  season 3 but after  watching the season finale, which I thought was just okay until....



THIS

OH MY GOSH!!!!   Elsa is coming to Once Upon A Time.  Hee!!!!    When I saw this, it was about 11:30 at night and I thought I was dreaming and I was thinking "No, they're not. No, they aren't!  They are,  they did".  This was just so cool,  I mean we'd been hearing hints all season that  the  show creators, Adam Horowitz and  Edward Kitsis had wanted to bring Frozen  to the show because  they  loved  the movie and wanted  to bring  the sisters  into the show.   I mean, there   have been rumors  circulating  that Kristen  Bell  will appear  in  season 4  as Anna  and seeing Elsa  does lend some credence to that theory.   That would be so cool, because that would be the first time,  a voice actor ever played her princess on Once.  Back  to Elsa, some people  were wondering if this really was Elsa, and not  just The Snow Queen. Meaning, that fans are wondering,  they are going to base this character on Disney's Elsa or  on  Hans Christian Anderson's Snow Queen. Adam and Eddy  confirmed in this interview that it is Elsa.    


Which that  just makes me wonder, what they are going to do with her.  The set up of the final  moments made it seem as though, that Elsa is going to be the villain of at least the first half of season 4 and it seems like she may have crossed paths with Rumpelstiltskin as she was trapped in an urn that was kept in his castle that was back to present day Storybrooke  by Emma Swan from The Enchanted Forest of the past.  Though I do wonder,  if they make a villain,  how people will react to that?  Because Elsa  is currently  ranked as  Disney's  most popular and most profitable princess.  I don't  think fan reaction to an evil Elsa will  be overwhelmingly positive.   Then again,   Once has taken characters that are traditionally heroes and made them villains and vice versa.  The biggest example of this is the main villain of season 3A was Peter Pan.














The  show was able to  make the idea of an evil Pan work exceedingly well but  I don't   know,  I think the issue with Elsa being a villain is that she is still so fresh in people's minds that  they may go that's not Elsa.  And yes,  Once  has changed  the characters up and do not always follow their Disney counterparts.  SEE MY COMPLAINTS  ABOUT RAPUNZEL regarding that but just look at  the outfit, the actress is wearing.  That's  Elsa's  "Let It Go" dress.













People  associate that outfit with Elsa. So, people are going to expect Elsa  and  the creators are walking a fine line because they are going to bring in Frozen fans that may not be Once Upon A Time fans and if the Frozen  fans don't like what Once does to Elsa, they'll complain about it.    They put themselves  on such a tightrope here but  it makes cents sense.  Frozen  is Disney's biggest blockbuster and of course,  they are going to milk this cow for all it's worth.   It's  surpassed The Lion King.  Let  me put it this way,  if  Once Upon A Time were on,  when The Lion was at it's  peak of popularity,  they would've worked Simba and  Scar into the show, somehow.   I don't  know how but  I'm pretty sure that they would have.  I mean,  they found a way to work Lumiere into an episode, this past season.   So, almost  anything is possible in Storybrooke. Going  back to Elsa,   I didn't  expect this because while I knew the creators wanted to bring  Frozen  into the show,  I was thinking maybe not until season 5 but then again, this does kinda make sense or cents as I put it previously.  Because Frozen is a money-maker  and Disney will find anyway to make money  off of one of their most successful films.   This  brings me to another point, Once usually  likes to explain how their characters came to be who they are.   Specifically with their villains.   A saying that is oft quoted to sum the OUAT villains  is.



Evil isn't  born,  it's made 


Why  do I bring this up?  Well,  I fear that in the next season, they may explain how Elsa got her ice powers.  And that's  something I don't want to or for that matter, feel I need to know. She just has them.












An  example  of this  is  that in the second half of season 3,  The Wicked Witch of The West from Oz was the main villain  and her origin episode explained how she became green.   It was basically because she was green with envy and jealous over her estranged sister,  (The Evil Queen from Snow White) getting everything, she thought she deserved.













That really wasn't needed in my opinion but it doesn't  take away from Zelena  being a good Wicked Witch.   The last thing,  I wonder  is  that in the promo  for the season 3 finale,   the announcer said to stay tuned to see where we are going next.   Which I have to wonder is  Once going to Arendelle?














And if so,  will  it only  be in flashbacks  a la Oz, this past season or will we get a glimpse of present day Arendelle and is it's own world or it is part of The Enchanted Forest in the same vein as The Sherwood Forest.  That is my thinking that  Arendelle won't be it's  own world.  I am curious to find out.   I admit that I am cautiously optimistic about  Elsa  appearing on Once, next season.  I don't think they'll mess her over too badly and if they do, I'll just Let It Go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment