Take A Look at Disney

3/1/17

A Good Deal More Lego & Disney






Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney. And well, this article was coming as I'd been building up to it.  It's time for another Lego & Disney article.  With that out of the way, let's begin.  And we will start with a Lego set that I've covered before.  




Disney Castle






I covered the Disney Castle in the past and over the past year, it has proven to be one of the most popular Lego sets of 2016.   So much so, that this year's Toy Fair that it won the award for Specialty Toy of The Year.   That's pretty awesome.  Now, I'm not going to say too much on this set as I've already looked at in great detail .  I just wanted to  start with this as I find it cool that it's an award winner.   Next up,  let's see how far Lego'll go 


Moana


Moana's Ocean Voyage 






I gotta be honest and say that the Moana Lego sets really snuck up on me as Lego really didn't seem to advertise them.  There was only an ad for them in the back of a Lego catalogue and not even any images of the sets.  Now, so far there are only two sets that have been released.  The first one is Moana's Ocean Voyage and it's a rather cute little set. Maui is one of the neatest looking big figs that I've seen in awhile and I feel that they perfectly captured the look of Moana's boat here in Lego form.



Moana's Island Adventure 


   


This set is alright but for me, I feel like everything feels a bit too disconnected.  It's hard to explain but very little about this set feels connected.  It's cute but I don't feel like there's a whole lot there.  Alright, we leave the island and head to Arendelle.



Frozen



Elsa's Magical Ice Palace 





I thought that I had covered this set before in a previous Lego & Disney article and I had kinda....






















As you see Lego has a tendency to re-release sets, especially if they're popular. And that's the case with Elsa's Magical Ice Palace.  It appears to be bigger than the original model and actually seems to hue closer to how it looked in the movie.  So yeah, I think Lego did their homework and released a superior set based on the ice palace.




Anna's Snow Adventure















Now, this doesn't seemed to be based on anything from the movie or Frozen Fever and y'know what I'm more than okay with that because I like seeing Lego doing original sets with the Disney characters.  It's a cute fun little set that explores Anna going on another Frozen adventure. Next up, we will be visiting the other Disney Princesses.



Disney Princesses


Rapunzel's Best Day Ever














I'm a bit disappointed that this is only the second Tangled set that Lego has released and this is the second one to include the tower.  It really doesn't seem like Lego wants to do a whole lot with Tangled unless it deals with the tower.  Still, it's a cute little set, even if it only comes with Rapunzel and Maximus. I even like that they included a Wanted poster of Flynn and they even drew his nose wrong.


Belle's Enchanted Castle





















Wow, Lego did a really good job of a capturing the look of the castle for Beauty and The Beast.  And from what I remember from one of the reviews that I watched of this review, the minidoll for Beast is actually the Prince with a Beast head that goes on top of his human head.  Really, the only character that didn't translate all that well in Lego form is Cogsworth.  He just looks off.   It's hard to pin but yeah, Cogsworth doesn't look right in Lego form. Next up, we are hitting the high seas with the Pirates of The Caribbean.





Pirates of The Caribbean



The Silent Mary






















This is the ship of the villain, Salazar from the upcoming Pirates movie and I gotta admit that this is a great way for Lego to start up with the Pirates of the Caribbean line again as that is one huge beast of a vessel.  Now, it may just look like a dead captain's pirate ship but here's the big thing that sets it apart.  It opens up.




























That's really cool and must have taken a while to figure out how to do that. Now, this set won't be out until April.   Now, let's head back to the princesses as we look at their pets.




Disney Palace Pets



Petite's Royal Stable















I admittedly know next to nothing about Palace Pets other than it's a popular franchise and this set features the horse that is Belle's.  And from the little that I've seen of the shorts with my niece, she seems to be very booksmart.



Berry's Kitchen
















Berry is apparently the pet rabbit of Snow White and I guess that she likes to cook.  Judging by this set.  Yeah, there really isn't much else that I can say.




BrickHeadz




I really didn't want to talk about these as they are some of the ugliest things that I've seen from Lego in a while but this article would be incomplete if I didn't look at them. BrickHeadz is a new line from Lego, where they are releasing blocking buildable versions of characters from franchises like DC, Marvel, and of course, Disney.



















I saw these and to me, it looked like Lego is trying to compete with Funko Pop! Even though, they don't need to.  You could also even argue that Lego is stealing from it's competition as Mega Bloks has a similar line  of buildable characters called Kubros.



















And it pains me as a Lego purist to say this but Mega Bloks did this concept better.  The bricks themself look inferior to Lego bricks but the finished model of this Mega Bloks Leo looks a whole lot better than the BrickHeadz.   Now, there are two more Disney BrickHeadz coming out, Jack Sparrow and Salazar.


















These do look a little better but even still, I'm not a fan.  These look a lot better than Belle & Beast but I dunno,  these just come across as Lego trying to compete in a market that it doesn't need to enter.



There you have it,  yet another look at Lego & Disney. I hope that you've enjoyed this article. Piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment