Take A Look at Disney

2/12/11

Request Month: Peter & The Wolf

Before I start this review, did any of you guys hear laughing at the end of my Treasure Planet review. I swear heard laughing and it sounded it like it came from "Thriller"  Excuse me, I have to go take care of some business but I'll be back 


Darkfan21: So he heard my laughter, I must be more careful if I which to take over the world. He has the thing, the Key of Magic. But only he can use it, so I must enter his body but how. Because with this Key, I can unleash any Disney character into this world. Of course there are some characters already living in this world. What is he reviewing today?   Peter & the Wolf, well that wolf is of help... but wait that's gives me an idea.




I shall Return....


Sorry but you know how things can get sometimes. Anyways let's see what today's review is. "Peter & the Wolf", the classic Disney short from 1946. This request comes to us from Diaul.  Sadly, I was to review two other shorts along with this one but as time went on college started and I forgot  about the two shorts but I will still cover "Peter & the Wolf".  I feel that the best way to start is to talk about the actual story.  The Story was written by  Sergei Prokofiev and he also composed the music.










The Story


The basic story of Peter and the Wolf is the story of a young boy who lives in a forest clearing with his grandfather. Peter is never go into the clearing but one day his curiosity gets the better of him and he enters the clearing leaving the garden gate to his and grandfather's house open. This is when Peter meets the birds and they set out finding the wolf. Along the way, they come across three other hunters who were searching for the wolf. When Peter returns home he is once again scolded by his grandfather for entering the clearing. 



As I mentioned music plays in an important part and so I think I should give you a list of the instruments and what character they represent.

Instruments

Bird - Flute

Duck -Oboe

Cat - Clarinet

Grandfather - Bassoon

Peter - String Instruments



Disney's Version





Now that I have given you the story and instrument listing, I can start talking about the Disney version. For the most part is faithful to the story with a few changes. Such as the animals are given names.  The bird is give the name Sasha, the cat is named Ivan and the duck is named Sonia. The hunters also received names at a later point. In this version, Peter at first daydreams about hunting down the wolf and then the next day he actually goes after the wolf with a toy gun. 


It was provided with narration by actor Sterling Holloway and was originally released in 1946 as part of "Make Mine Music", a movie where Disney was trying to capitalize on the "Fantasia" method but his package movies at the time got some of the worst reviews.  The following year it was released alongside "Fantasia" playing before the film started.  It was not released until the '90s as part of the now defunct Mini-Classics.  I t was also released as part of  the  Disney Favorite Stories collection. The next time it was seen was on episode of "Belle's Tales of Friendship" with Belle providing narration. The last time it was seen was during an episode of "House of Mouse".   


For your viewing pleasure I present Sergei Prokofiev parts of  Peter & The Wolf for Mr. Disney, himself.











This should really put things into light and make sure you come back next time  for Disney Channel Animated Shows of the '00s. Let me know, if you guys hear any laughing or thunder by the way, too.



Darkfan21:  It's almost time to put my plan in motion but that Big Bad Wolf does not want to help. All he wants to do is play his Jazz music at the House of Mouse. What happened, he used to be one of the great villains? No matter, I still have time. As long I keep my distance until I'm ready everything will be fine.  I feel these fools should know what their new ruler looks like.





Drat, why did it have to be so dark that night?

No comments:

Post a Comment