Take A Look at Disney

2/10/13

Valentines Week: Top 6 Couples That Aren't Mickey & Minnie





This week, we celebrate another Valentines Day and I've decided to take a look at love in Disney, this week. For the most part, save for my review tomorrow.  Anyways, I've decided to start off this week with a list counting down  who I consider to be the Top 6 Couples from Disney that are not Mickey & Minnie. The main reason for not including them is because they would more then likely take the number 1 spot.  With that out of the way, let's begin. Also, just so you, this was not an easy list to come up with.




6.  Hercules & Meg - Hercules







The first couple on this list are from one of the more overlooked Disney movies. Is Hercules, perfect? No but every Disney movie has flaws.  Though with that said,  I really like Herc and Meg because they are both strong people who care for each other. As I've often said, you  can compare Herc and Meg to Clark Kent and Lois Lane in how like Clark, Hercules is strong but naive and Meg like Lois is a strong woman.   I think one of the key things that I think makes this relationship work is the fact that Hercules genuinely loves Meg and wants to help her but she is scared of committing to another relationship after what happened with her last, which is perfectly captured in her song, I Won't Say I'm In Love.  But as I said,  we know that Herc won't hurt her and in a way, her relationship with Hercules get her to open up and bring her shield down. 





5.  Lady and The Tramp - Lady and The Tramp






Now this is another couple that I knew I wanted to be on my list as they are one of two couples I think of when I think of Disney and love.   Their love story is simple, Lady is from domesticated family and Tramp is the dog from the wrong side of the tracks but as we see throughout the film, they are able to put their differences aside and are just able to enjoy each other's companies and through the time, they spend with each other, they realize that while they may be different, they do care about each other and  would go to great lengths to protect each other. Now Lady and The Tramp is easily one of the best Disney love stories out there and these characters are great as well.  Most certainly a nice little film to watch on Valentines Day.




4. Aladdin and Jasmine - Aladdin 





Okay, this was tough as I went back and forth between Aladdin and Jasmine or Ariel and Eric for this spot but in the end, I had to go with Aladdin and Jasmine as I think they are the more interesting couple.  Here, we have Aladdin hiding his past because he doesn't think he'll be accepted by Jasmine, if she knew he was just a street rat and for Jasmine, this is the first time, that she has truly loved any of the suitors that have come until Ali and while she may not have liked the methods that Al used to get to know her but she couldn't deny her feelings for Aladdin and each time, they were together, you could see how comfortable they felt around one another.




3.   Belle and Beast - Beauty and The Beast








Okay, yeah I imagine a lot of people would've had my head if I didn't include these two.  Beauty and The Beast is often considered to be the film from Disney that gets the love angle down pat and well, I can't argue with that.   The big thing to take away from their relationship is how they change each other and there is a sense of growth. With Belle's help, Beast becomes more human again and you may be asking what does Belle gain from her time with Beast? Well, that's hard to answer but I believe she gains someone who truly cares about her and also gains a friend as she takes the time to put down her books to get to know Beast on a deeper level.   





2. Rapunzel and Flynn Rider - Tangled

  


Okay,  if you didn't expect these two on the list, you clearly haven't noticed how I gush about this film whenever I talk about it.   I think the big thing to take away from their relationship is growth, maturity and acceptance.  What do I mean by this, well let's take a look at Rapunzel. I've always said at the beginning of Tangled, she starts out as a shy and timid flower but through her adventures with Flynn she becomes a young woman who is much more sure of herself and more assertive.   And I honestly don't think this could've happen without Eugene Fitzherbert leading the way.  Yep, I used his real name as this brings me to the other thing I see in their relationship. Acceptance, what do I mean by this, well take when Flynn tells Rapunzel about his life in the orphanage, that is a step in him accepting who he was and realizing that it is okay to be both Eugene and Flynn.      





1. Donald and Daisy 





I'm sure a lot of you right now are probably thinking "Huh?"   Well, okay I knew that I wanted to include Donald and Daisy on this list and the more I thought about it, they made the most sense to be my # 1.  They've been together the longest. They've stuck with each other through thick and thin. And most importantly, anyone that can stay with Donald with his temper deserves some sort of recognition.   Going beyond that though, whenever you see something with them, their relationship always feels real because couples argue and  we see that a lot with Donald and Daisy.  Daisy has a temper to match her man.  Yeah, they may fight, bicker and argue a lot but that's only because of how much they love each other and they'll never leave each other for another duck.  In my honest opinion, their relationship out of all of the Disney couples, I've listed, this one feels the most real.    



There you have it, my Top 6 Disney Couples that aren't Mickey & Minnie. Join me tomorrow for a review of...


A Valentines For You, Winnie The Pooh.







No comments:

Post a Comment