Take A Look at Disney

3/2/14

Mickey Mouse (2013) Mondays: Gasp!






Hello & welcome back to Mickey Mouse (2013) Mondays as we kick things off with Gasp!  And my reaction, yeah....















































The Plot


What is our plot in this short?  Well in this short, it's your basic chase short as Mickey tries to protect his pet fish, Gubbles (yes, that's his real name) from a cat is supposedly Figaro.   Okay,  I know what I said last week but there are two things that I cannot ignore regarding this short.   First off, where WAS PLUTO?!?!?!?!?!?   And oh, this isn't just me  comparing to the older incarnations as Pluto exists in this new Spongebob defamation of my all time favorite cartoon character. Look....














And y'know what I'm going to break my own rule because this is NOT Figaro.










No,  I REFUSE TO CALL THAT CAT, Figaro.  This IS Figaro.















I applaud the effort to use lesser used  Disney characters but couldn't you oh I DON'T KNOW HAVE THEM RESEMBLE WHO THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!  And lastly in every incarnation of the Mickey-verse,  Figaro was Minnie's cat.  So, where was Minnie, if that  WAS supposed to be Figaro?!?!?!?! Gah, I haven't even gotten to the real plot yet and I already found things to complain with 1999 Cartoon Network insult (seriously, it feels like something that would've on Cartoon Network in the '90s).   So, yeah the basic plot is a cat & mouse (get it cat & mouse)  chase as NOT Figaro  tries to eat Gubbles after his fish bowl breaks and Mickey tries to protect his fish by getting him in water any way possible.  From trying to use the kitchen sink, where we get the oh so hilarious joke as seeing Gubbles being breaded and buttered and then it's cuts to a live action scene of a dinner plate of a fish dinner.  That is supposed to be Gubbles.







WHY WOULD YOU PUT THAT IN THERE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  That isn't funny,  it's kinda cruel and mean-spirited.  Look,  inserting live-action sequences into animated shows can be funny and work well.   Perfect  Pinkie Pride, during the Goof Off, when Cheese Sandwich tells  Boneless to hit it and the show cuts to a rubber chicken dancing. 














That was funny because it was unexpected the joke was making the audience laugh at the misery of a character that I think the short wanted us to like. Whereas there was build up to that "joke"  and  I get what they were going for but that is supposed to be Mickey's pet, right?  The audience doesn't want to see a pet of Mickey as a filet.  It's  just cruel and vicious.  It's not funny,   it's mean.  And  I'm not saying that Disney can't do mean-spirited humor but I don't know,  this scene just bugged me, so much that I wanted to turn the short off after I saw it.   I didn't laugh at it,  I just wondered "Is this Disney?"   Because that doesn't feel like something they would do.  Again,  I'm not saying they're above these types of jokes and yes, the humor for these characters does come from the situation that they are placed in but this isn't what that meant.  Honestly,  this scene alone takes this short from face palm worthy to this...


















Yeah, it was so bad that the Face Palm can't even sum up my frustrations with this short to the point where I had to create a new de-motionval poster,  the Disney Disappointment.  


When something goes beyond a face palm and makes you weep on the inside


Now what about the other ways, that Mickey tries to protect his pet (again, where WAS Pluto?) , well, he tries to put him a bath tub with water running but  Mickey,  who they turned into an idiot in this new series, leaves the tub running and NOT Figaro gets the fish and eats him but Mickey is able to save his ept because I forgot to mention that Gubbles has the personality of a dog
















IF YOU  WANTED A DOG, WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST USE  PLUTO?!?!   DID YOU MORONS FORGET THAT HE WAS MICKEY'S DOG AND BEST FRIEND.  OH NO, THAT'S RIGHT, YOU DIDN'T BECAUSE PLUTO DOES LATER APPEAR IN THIS WRETCHED SERIES THAT DOES NOT DESERVES TO BARE THE NAME OF THE MOST ICONIC MOUSE IN THE WORLD.  AND I KNOW THAT YOU DIDN'T FORGET ABOUT HIM BECAUSE YOU REMEMBERED TO INCLUDE HIM IN THE TIE-IN GAME, WHERE'S MY MICKEY THAT CAME OUT BEFORE THE SERIES AIRED ON DISNEY CHANNEL!!!!!!!!!  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?   GAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



And the short ends with Mickey's apartment flooded with water from the over flowing bath tub but its okay,  because Gubbles is safe. 













Who cares about the  water damage that it will cause to Mickey's furniture because Gubbles is safe.














I hate this short, so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      This makes me want to apologize to Nursery Crimes and  Dumbo's Circus because they weren't this bad.  This is "Too Smart For Strangers" level bad.   As a life long Disney fan, I find this short offensive.



Characters


They're idiots.  Okay,  I'll say some more,  they're really big idiots.   Okay, let's be fair here,  idiots can be funny and this wasn't funny. 



Mickey voiced by Chris  Diamantopoulos












This short basically turned Mickey into a panicking idiot.  Look,  I get that he wanted to protect his pet (WHO IS PLUTO!!!!!!!!!!)  but  I feel like this short played it over the top so much that it was just pathetic and not  at all funny.


Gubbles  voiced by Dee Bradley Baker













Wait a minute,   Dee Bradley Baker, the voice of Olmec,  and Perry from  Phineas and Ferb played Gubbles.   Did you really need the money?  Did you?  This character  was just infuriating.  


Not Figaro also voiced by Dee Bradley Baker










That's NOT Figaro!!!     That'll never be Figaro.   Yes,  Figaro in the shorts was more like a real cat and made a  rival for who, oh that's right, PLUTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!   If  this short wanted to go the chase  route, they could've  included Pluto as a protector for that STUPID fish.

My  Final Thoughts


HATE  THIS SHORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     I NEVER WANT TO SEE  THIS SHORT EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     Join me next time as I look at Stayin'  Cool  and in the mean time,  I'll try to cool off.    I'm going to go listen to Let It  Go.




6 comments:

  1. See I just watched it (bootleg on Youtube, since the link only works in America) and...

    Yeah this is literally point for point the sort of thing you'd expect in an episode of Spongebob. You could swap out Mickey for Spongebob, the cat for some random sea creature and the backgrounds to that of the show... and there would literally be no differences whatsoever. This is a Spongebob Squarepants short masquarading as a Mickey Mouse one.

    Whilst I argued that Spongebob is the Mickey Mouse of our current generation... I didn't mean that they should copy it directly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it doesn't help that I really don't like Spongebob. And honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they hired Spongebob writers for this new series.

      Delete
    2. See I adore Spongebob Squarepants. First three seasons and the movie are just great, I quote them all the time, it's one of the funniest TV series I've ever seen...

      ... But it works because the world is clearly established and the characters, whilst zany, still fit within the rules of the world.

      Here we have Mickey Mouse (who has already had 80 odd years of having very grounded rules) go into a short series which breaks the rules entirely and looks like a mess as a result.

      ... At this rate I might as well write my own blog on it rather then fill up your comment boxes :P

      Delete
    3. It would make for an interesting In Too Deep on why the new series doesn't work. I'm going to need a lot of caffeine to get through these abominations.

      Delete
  2. Actually you know what it reminds me of? This (excuse the bad copy): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62iVXcf8APs

    It's essentially the guy that made Ren and Stimpy doing the Simpson couch gag in his animation style... and it's so out of place with the regular Simpson style that it's hideous. Yes the characters are essentially the same (Homer's dumb, Bart's mischievous etc) but the art style is so out of character for the show the whole thing is unbearable to watch.

    Same thing happens here. There's one shot where Mickey's face falls and he's annoyed... and it just looks so ugly and out of place that I'd expect it to be in a parody of Mickey Mouse. The animation is at times so rubbery and ugly that it really undermines any good that could be found in the stories...

    ... Not that there's any to begin with mind you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know I was looking at images of Ghoul Friend and seeing Goofy as a zombie in that short was just ugly. This really does reek of John K. doing Mickey Mouse parodies.

      Delete