Take A Look at Disney

6/24/14

A Look at Disney Sets Sail For Adventure: Peter Pan (with The Second Opinion)









Moviefan12:  Argh,   we be headin' to  Neverland now  for this our final adventure.    It appears that we have another stowaway onboard again.  Second Opinion, what are you doing here?  This isn't Trotting Through Life.

  
The Second Opinion: Well, I know I haven’t exactly marketed myself as a Disney movie guy, but… wait, just hear me out! I swear I’m your man for this one! Peter Pan to me is like what Dumbo is to you: It introduced me to the very concept of having a favorite movie. I saw it when I was four, and to this day, flying and sword fights are still two of my favorite movie tropes. I’ve read the story and seen just about every film adaptation (even Mia Farrow’s incredibly cheap made for TV version), but Disney’s take is still my favorite. Heck, it’s one of my top 5 movies period, and at this point, I don’t think I’ll ever, ahem, outgrow it. You could push me off the ship right now, and I bet I could fly the rest of the way to Neverland.


Moviefan12:  I have  no need to throw you over because well,  I'm not certain where I stand on this film.  There were parts I liked but in other respects,  there were things that I couldn't stand in this film,  I.E. , the main character.  Re-watching this film,  I wasn't a fan of Peter Pan here.   And well,  I think I'm going to need a Second Opinion.  


Argh, I be eager to take this voyage, if I can just recall the way...












There it is! Second star to the right and straight on till morning! Now what was I saying? Oh, yes. Sorry, I don't think my mother would want me to be a pirate. In fact, it's any codfish who doesn't like this movie or me this time. Captain Moviefan, thou not wholly unheroic figure, have at thee!

Trailer


Trailer 


Moviefan12:  Not  bad,  it hits  a lot  of the key moments  of the film and plays  off people's nostalgia  for the film,  quite well.    



The Second Opinion: (Why don't I feel like being critical or serious anymore? Come on, focus...) Though it was more of a problem in previous Disney trailers, this one still has a little of the tonal clash that happens when a flashy, quick cut, modern-style trailer is applied to footage from a slower, more deliberate and whimsical movie. But alas, I cannot strike, for something holds my hand at bay: It still succeeds by choosing a great combination of scenes and music (though fast) to highlight just how grand Peter Pan can be, how big, lavish, and charming some of its scenes really are.


Moviefan12:  Now,  let's move onto the plot.


The Plot

Moviefan12:  We  open in the nursery  of the Darling children,  and Mr.  and Mrs.   Darling  are getting  ready   for  a night out  and  Mr.   Darling cannot  find his gold cuff links.  Which  are being  used  in a game by John and Micheal  playing Peter  Pan  and Captain Hook.   Stories that their older sister,  Wendy   had been telling them.  Mr.   Darling angrily  declares  that Wendy has gotten  to old to stay  in the nursery  and that it's  time for her to grow  up and move out of the nursery.   No one in the family is a fan of this idea.  At this point,  Mr.   Darling storms    out   of the nursery but trips  over the family dog, Nana.    And decides that  Nana  needs to stay  outside    and that  she can no longer take care of the children because they are not puppies  but he is sympathetic towards her.   As   Mr.  and Mrs.   Darling leave,  Mrs. Darling asks  if the  children will be all right  because Wendy  has been telling  stories of   Peter  Pan  and that he might  show  up  but  Mr.  Darling calls this garbage.    But  as we  know, this is not the case  as   just then,  Peter makes  a grand entrance.














Second  Opinion,   seeing as your  the Pan  Fan,  I'll let you  cover  Pan's  introduction  in the movie.  


 The Second Opinion: Much obliged. After a very bombastic opening that betrays the production’s origin as a play, this part plays like a gradual fade in after a blackout, to great effect. So far, there hasn’t been even a hint at what Peter Pan looks like. (The first time I saw it, I thought Michael-playing-Peter was going to be our star.) But then, as the Darling parents leave, the shadowy figure on the roof glides down to the window, looks in on the sleeping Darling children, and then…
















Disney doesn’t overplay this reveal either. They know this strange figure has our attention, and they let the scene continue at the same pace as he and Tinker Bell search for his shadow, until it builds to a scrambling chase around the room. Wendy wakes up and places Peter immediately, though it becomes clear in passing they’ve never spoken. But though he doesn’t reciprocate her enthusiastic greeting, he quickly settles in as she offers to sew his shadow back on, becoming nonchalant and dismissive until she reveals that she’s being forced to grow up tomorrow. At this, he insists on taking her to Neverland, where she’ll never grow up, prompting a starry eyed Wendy to kiss him, before she’s intercepted by a jealous Tinker Bell. Peter catches Tink in his hat, waking up John and Michael.

This portion is pure character and wonder, telling us nothing except what reveals itself in passing about Peter and Tinker Bell’s otherworldly nature and respective personalities, Tink spritely, if vain and petty, and Peter playful and boyishly self-important. But when Michael and John join the scene, it takes on a bit more structure, hinting at what awaits them in Neverland and addressing the biggest oddity in all of this, how Peter gets there: 
















Moviefan12:  Peter  tells  the Darling  children that they need to think any happy little thought  in order to fly  like Christmas, Rainbow or Snow.  Hmm..  any happy little thought to fly.  I've got one.

 











 Well,  I found my happy thought.  Oh yeah,   this  is working  out  perfectly.  However,  I seem to be having a problem.  Oh,  of course.  I forgot  the Dust.  The  same issue, the Darling  Children  had at first but thrown in the Dust and your good.  And  at this  moment,  we see The Darling children flying and  as  they leave  the house,  Micheal  calls  to Nana  to come  with them. Interesting  fact  at one point in production, Nana  was the main  character of the film and  the story  was going be told  through her  eyes   but that  was eventually dropped for what   he got  instead   and  as they fly all  over London,   we get some classic moments   such  as the Big Ben scene.













And  it's  here that Peter shows  Wendy,   The Second Star  to The Right  and they   just have  to fly past that  and straight on 'til morning   and they'll be in Neverland.  And here  we get a  glance  of   Hook and his crew.    And  it's  made abundantly  clear  that the crew is fed up with their captain  as they just want to get back to pirating  but Hook is so bent on getting revenge  on Peter Pan.  And I can't  blame him because  I'd want to get back at  a brat that cut off my hand too.


The Second Opinion: Wait, wait! Don’t forget the iconic shot:















Love how it builds to that. It still gives me chills every time. No movie’s attempt to convey the experience of “really” flying ever did it for me better than this one. 



Okay, where were we? Who is Captain Hook? Oh, right, ahem: Hook, we see, knows his best chance to get Peter is to find his hideout, obsessively studying a map in vain. (Personally, I think he’s just a bad sport. It’s not like Peter came to Neverland picking a fight with Hook. He lost the fight fair and square, because that’s the only way Peter plays, and escaped with everything but his hand. Feeding it to the crocodile might have been showboating, but Hook should leave if he’s so bothered by the thing following him.) However, he realizes that the island’s other inhabitants, the (sigh) “Redskins” might know where Peter is hiding and forms a moderately clever plan to kidnap the Chief’s daughter, someone who’d have to know these things but, at her age, should be easy to bully. The croc enters to give Hook a scare – and reveal that Smee, the little traitor, inexplicably feeds it leftovers – before Hook spots Peter and the Darlings making their way in.


He summons his crew to open carefully calculated fire on the children, but Michael notices Hook a split second before the cannon shoots, allowing Peter to throw them out of the way. Peter stays to draw Hook’s fire, dodging cannonballs in midair, and sends the Darlings to the island with Tink. But Tinker Bell forms a plan to get rid of Wendy, flying on ahead and summoning the Lost Boys to shoot down the terrible “Wendy bird,” which almost works. But Peter arrives just in time, catching a falling Wendy before she hits the rocks.




















Tink’s in trouble now.



Moviefan12:  Indeed, she  is  and  right after Peter   catches,  he  calls  out The Lost  Boys,   what they  were doing  and  after  calling them, blockheads ,    The Boys  explain   that Tinker Bell  told them to shoot down  Wendy.    Now ,  I do   believe  that Peter  Pan  banished    Tinker Bell  but  after that,  our  characters   go  off  on  their separate  adventures,  John,  Micheal  and The Lost  Boys   go off to see the Indians,  while  Peter  takes   Wendy to see the mermaids  and they try to  drown  her.  Is every woman in Neverland,  the jealous type?


 











And   here,  we  learn  that   Hook  had taken   Tiger  Lily   and through   a  hilarious   impersonation  of Hook and  tricks  Smee    into  releasing  Tiger Lily.   This   is easily  one of my  favorite  moments  in the film as it just shows  how clever ,  Peter  Pan   can  be.   















After returning  Tiger Lily to the Indian Tribe,  Peter  is honored by the tribe and this is..... where we get one  of the more controversial  Disney songs,  "What Makes The Red Man Red".   Yeah,  this  song  is  akin to the complaints thrown  at The Crows from Dumbo  and while  I don't actually  agree with the latter,  just yeah,  there's no denying this one here is a little uncomfortable.   I've  heard two  arguments that  this film like a lot of older Disney  films  is a product of it's  time and in some regards, I truly  do get that and  the other is  they  are a fictionalized take on Indians as Neverland  is supplied with everything, young boys love.   And  I get that too but again,  I can't really look past this one.















Second Opinion,  your thoughts  on this particular scene?    



The Second Opinion: WAHOO! Once the Injun didn't know all the things that he knows now. But the Injun, he sure learn a lot! And it's all from asking, "How?"


These guys throw the best parties ever! And it’s nice to see that the lost boys all agree. Oh, you wanted me to pick apart this part? Hmm, I remember I was going to say something about how people should feel about the Indians calling themselves “the red man” even though that’s silly, because nobody has red skin (except after too much dancing). But I think I forgot it…

Oh well. Why are we even talking about that? This scene is awesome! The Indians are just like they were in the book, only better! I mean, we knew they were cool before, because they were braver than the Lost Boys, especially Tiger Lily, and better than the pirates in every way, but this is where we see how great they are to be friends with. They give Peter a new Flying Eagle identity, so he’s even cooler now! And then they kick off that song about all the funny stories that everyone dances to. Well, except Wendy, who gets yelled at by this lady to get some firewood:

















I don’t know why they didn’t let Wendy join in the fun a little more before some angry lady who doesn’t have another way to get firewood and Tiger Lily ruin it all for her. Is this something against women?
But still, Tiger Lily and Peter are so cute together! I can’t even blame Wendy for being jealous, even though we all know Peter doesn’t want a girlfriend and Wendy is still his favorite.












And then there’s the Chief. He wasn’t even in the book, but he’s such a cool character and the best dancer ever! Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, and Michael Jackson have nothing on this guy! He’s a master!























It’s just a great celebration after defeating Captain Hook and saving Tiger Lily, and I love it! It reminds me of all the best birthday parties I didn’t want to end. What made the red man red? What made the red man red? And actually, because of that, it you really feel how much Wendy is missing out when she leaves, while it’s still in full swing. It lets us know that there’s something wrong, and we’ll have to get serious again soon when we change over to the next scenes.



Moviefan12:  Ah  yes,  we soon learn that  Hook  is willing to take  advantage  of Tinker Bell's  jealously  to reveal   Pan's  hideout  and   Hook  then traps   Tinker  Bell.  











Hook  and his  pirates   then use   this information  and head  to Hangman's  Tree and   capture  The Darlings  and The Lost Boys  after  they exit the tree for  saying that they want to  go home.  Oh,   and there's  a bomb  that  had been planted but Tink   saves  him   by   snatching the bomb.  












Meanwhile  on board, Hook's  ship,  The Jolly Roger,  he at first  tries to recruit  The Lost  Boys along  with John  and Micheal  but to no avail, thanks to Wendy  but then Pan    shows  up and we get   a pretty   decent sword fight.  Second Opinion, I'll  let you   take it from here.


 The Second Opinion: Peter has survived Hook’s death trap and stopped the pirate from taking everything he holds dear. Now all that’s left is the triumphant charge. He flies down and lays into Hook with his iconic knife, the ultimate battle of big vs. small, floating around what few blows he can’t parry, enjoying each satisfying thwack, winning the whole time despite the skill and gusto displayed by both of them. And when he frees the lost boys, John redeems himself as leader by directing them in holding off the pirates in the crow’s nest. Even Tink plays her part in keeping them alive. The last portion, however, is a virtuoso sequence. Right when it seemed we were on the home stretch of victory, Hook calls Peter out for being a coward. And like a cold wake up slap, it works.





















Peter and Hook pry their swords together, now glowering at each other. Peter, vowing to kill him, gives his word that he won’t fly, and, hey, where did this come from? Weren’t we rallying to pay the pirates back a minute ago? Now it turns venomous, and Hook shoves him off the mast, leaving him scrambling to get back up. Every time he almost gets there, he’s knocked off again. And then, just when he seems to be gaining some footing, he loses. There is, of course, the dramatic part when he snatches victory from the jaws of defeat, but the true defining moment is when he refuses Wendy’s pleas that he fly away. It’s here Disney chose to show us that Pan follows the rules, and he doesn’t cheat, no matter what.

After sending Hook off into the sunset, pursued by the crocodile, Peter claims the ship, uses Tinker Bell’s fairy dust to sail it into the sky, and taking the high road after all, returns the Darling children to London. Cut back to the Nursery, and Mr. and Mrs. Darling return, revealing that Mr. Darling has let go of his hard feelings towards Wendy and Nana. They find Wendy asleep at the window, and she wakes up bursting with joy at the adventure she just had, adding that she is ready to grow up. The parents are mildly bemused, until Wendy, one last time, turns affectionately to the ship sailing off into the clouds. Mrs. Darling calls to her husband, who turns wearily, steps back with shock, and says slowly, “Now, I have the strangest feeling that I’ve seen that ship before, a long time ago… when I was very young…”















When there’s a smile in your heart,














There’s no better time to start

Gets me every time. And with that, I think I’m coming back into focus. Whew, memories. I realize that part of what I love about Peter Pan is the effect it had on me when I was younger, but it may be the only movie I could love as much as I do for appealing to one’s inner child. There’s so much exuberance, so much heart selling it all, that it still gives me the same effect. The moments like this one at the end transcend words. I swear if there ever was any “Disney magic,” it’s in this film. 



Moviefan12:  Now  let's   move  onto  characters


Characters


And   just  as a reminder,  I like  to credit animators  and the designers  for the characters. That is if,  I can find the information.


Main  Characters


 Peter  Pan   voiced  by   Bobby   Drsicoll,  Animators:  Milt  Kahl  &  Eric  Larson




 












Moviefan12: Now  as I mentioned  up top,  I'm a little mixed on Peter.  He's  not a bad character but  I do find that his self-centered attitude  at times  rubbed me the wrong way.   The  more,  I think about it,  he's  a boy  and a lot  of kids go through that stage of life, where they think the world revolves around them.   And  that  is   explored rather well here and he  does  come through, when it  matters  most   in  saving his friends. Another  thing that  is of  important   notice  here with this  Peter Pan  is  this film broke  a long stand tradition  of having  a female  play (examples  include  Mary Martin in the 1954 Broadway musical)   Peter. Pan.  Instead young Disney  star,  Bobby Driscoll,   who  I talked about in my  review of Treasure Island

Mary  Martin  in the 1960  NBC  TV Airing of Peter Pan
 














How was  he  in  the role?  Honestly,  very good.  He  made you believe that  he actually  was Peter  Pan and captured  the youthful   spirit  and personality  of the boy that would never grow  up, quite  well.





The Second Opinion: A fair analysis. I already had my say on Peter, but it’s worth adding that the novel went even further than the movie with Peter’s selfishness, exploring what he’ll do when pushed to his limits and what a vulnerable child he can be in the wrong circumstances. This Peter comes across a bit more composed, at least as far as we see. He becomes surly when he doesn’t get his way, but his friends’ endangerment reminds him of what they mean to him and inspires him to do what’s right by them.

And I definitely approve of Disney breaking tradition and giving the role to Driscoll. His distinct delivery is everything Moviefan said, a perfect match for the film’s portrayal of Peter. Women in the role, more than anything else, always struck me as an answer to the lack of age appropriate boys able to star in a touring show. Mary Martin, for example, seemed aware of the fact that she wasn’t a boy, and her performance plays a bit like she’s hosting a PBS show for the 3-5 year old crowd. Granted, in the 1924 silent film, the lack of vocal requirements allowed enthusiastic Betty Bronson to nail the role with her smug playfulness, mischievous face, and devilish grin. But when speaking was a requirement, no actress not named Cathy Rigby ever convinced me it was meant to be.




 

Wendy   Darling  voiced  by   Kathryn  Beaumont,  Animators:   Ward  Kimball,   Ollie Johnston,  Eric  Larson,   and Marc Davis.  Designers:   Les  Clark  &   Mary  Blair

















Moviefan12:  Man,   look at the names  of  the animators  and designers that worked on Wendy.   You've  got legends  like  Mary Blair (I  LOVE her)  and Ollie  Johnston.  Those are legends, right there.  and I'll be honest  and say that  when  I  heard Wendy  speak,  I  thought  of Alice from  Alice In Wonderland .  Not too surprising considering that  Kathryn  Beaumont  also  voiced Alice  and in some  regards,  Wendy  and Alice are very much alike.  They  both  have  childlike wonder and  also  present themselves as proper.   I  used to think that Wendy  was flat  as a character  but  she's   actually  a  good  contrast   to Peter  in that she does  want to grow  up  after spending time in Never land  but she stopped believing.  














Fan fiction realizing it’s about 60 years late

The Second Opinion: This time around, Wendy alone has the central character arc. In the beginning, she is an imaginative and enthusiastic girl with her head in the clouds, whose eyes light up when Peter says he’s taking her to Neverland. She fades into the background a bit during the adventure, who can blame her, but the spotlight finds her again when she starts to realize that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. 

Ironically enough, she matures into a parental figure when she realizes the boys need their real mothers, which she can’t be, and when they return, she is finally prepared to grow up. There’s also an aspect of holding a grudge against Peter, after his dance with Tiger Lily, but an unspoken reconciliation becomes clear as their feelings for each other continue to show through.

Oh, and if you fan fiction writers aren’t feeling it yet, what if I told you that Peter Llewelyn Davies, for whom Peter Pan is named, once famously met Alice “In Wonderland” Liddell at a celebration of the centennial of Lewis Carroll’s birthday?






John  Darling  voiced by Paul  Collins,  Animators:   Ward  Kimball  &  Eric  Goldberg  


 











Moviefan12:    I've  always   found   John to be a character  that acted older  than he  actually  is, by the way, he spoke  and carried himself.   Don't   misunderstand  me,  he still   partakes   in youthful activities  such  as playing out   Peter  Pan stories with his younger brother but he  carries  himself  in such a sophisticated manner  that some  of his actions  almost seem adult.  






The Second Opinion: Indeed, with all the playing pretend, it seems John enjoys playing a grown up. John is more of a supporting character than Wendy, but many adaptations have put their own spin on him. Here, he undergoes some growth of his own, striking out as leader when he approaches it like a game but later stepping up when it counts and overseeing the counter attack against the pirates.



Michael  Darling  voiced by Tommy Luske,  Animator:   Ward  Kimball  

















Moviefan12:   Michael  is  easily  the  most innocent  of the Darling children and that in part is  because  he's  the youngest  and   one of the cutest Disney  kids too as  he is just so wide eyed and ready for anything.  And  I know the Disney Wiki,  says that he's clumsy but come on guys, he's just a kid.  





The Second Opinion: While John falls squarely into the category of “supporting role,” something about Michael always seemed a bit more essential to the Peter Pan mythos. In the novel, he is the only one besides Wendy who continues to believe in Peter after their adventure, and we’re actually shown the moment in which he loses faith. Here, he’s the key player in the moment Wendy realizes what too much time in Neverland will do to them. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Michael Llewelyn Davies, one of Peter’s brothers who also lent their names to the story, was actually the basis for Peter’s character much more than Peter himself. But whatever the reason, Michael’s childhood innocence and wonder is something no version of the story would be the same without.







Tinker Bell   Animator:  Marc  Davis














Moviefan12:  Tinker Bell  has to be  the most  popular   character from this movie.   Think about it,  she's  been  used to open  such things as Wonderful  World of Color.












She  has her own book and film franchise  and  not to mention that Disney  loves  using her  as a mascot.  Why, she's  right  behind Mickey Mouse  in that regard.  Disney  loves  Tinker Bell.  And to me,  when  I think  Disney,  she is one of the characters that instantly  comes  to mind.  Having  said that however,  I think people  tend to forget what Tink is really like in the movie.  That she can be jealous, sassy,  and sneaky  and  as we saw with  Captain Hook,  she let  her jealously  of Wendy  get the best of her as Hook was able to take advantage of that to discover Pan's  location.  Having said of all this, I do not hate Tink, she's  a family  favorite  in my house.  Why,  I'd  go so far  as to say that she's the best character  in the movie in my opinion.  Her actions  just make  her so real  and I love  how just like Dumbo, she is  so expressive without ever speaking a word.  Also,  this moment  just gets  me every time.


















The Second Opinion: My thoughts exactly, although “best character in the movie” could be too much even for her. The moments that get across what an adorable diva she can be is probably Disney’s best work with the character, though they allow that she eventually crosses a line. But we also get to see her good side, including her friendship with Peter at the beginning and her acts of remorse and redemption towards the end. Her reaction to Captain Hook’s announcement that Peter will die in less than minute is a combination of “What have I done?” and “No! Hell no!” and she flies to his rescue with enough determination to make you believe the self-sacrifice. She’s a strong and ultimately lovable presence.




Supporting  Characters


George  Darling  voiced  by  Hans Conried 

  











Moviefan12:   You know  who  Mr.  Darling reminds me of?  Mr.  Banks.    Seriously,  these two fathers   have a lot in common in how they are both  stern and think that their kids should grow up and childish delights behind them.  But he  has  a change of heart , when  he sees the ship  sailing in the clouds    and  that hints  that he may   have once   had an adventure with Peter, himself.   


















The Second Opinion: Now the play’s other big tradition, of Captain Hook and Mr. Darling being played by the same actor, is the one I always thought had something to it. Maybe it highlights the antagonistic role they both play, maybe it further hints at a time when George Darling went on an adventure of his own, or maybe it alludes to the real difference between growing up in the real world and life in Neverland, as only Mr. Darling is able to overcome his impatience and start to connect with his children. But regardless, Hans Conried does a great job in the role, giving George a blustering fury and a theatrical formality. But he also sells us on the moments when we see the character does have a heart. His conversation with Nana has the air of a steady man wearily stepping back from his tirade and trying to reconcile the real issue at hand. And his change of heart at the end feels like a weight lifted, setting up the capstone moment that I can’t seem to praise enough.






Mary  Darling  voiced  by  Heather Angel

  











Moviefan12:   Mary  seems  to be the opposite  of  her  husband,   she does  love him dearly  but  is very  much caring   and  understanding   and  she  does feel that   George  is forcing Wendy to grow up too soon.  Now  unlike  George,  there  isn't  much of a hint that  she'd never been to Neverland.  However,  the book and  stage adaption of the first book,   Peter  and The Starcatchers  (distributed bt Disney Press) features  a young  Mary re-named  Molly  and  in that book,  she was friends with Peter at a young age.   These  series of books a  are written  by Kingdom  Keepers author,  Ridley Pearson and it is  an interesting thought.  


  




The Second Opinion: Mrs. Darling is sidelined a bit more than her husband this time around, but her caring nature and sincere attempts to keep the family together live up to Wendy’s recollection later on. Actually, I believe some have interpreted the novel as hinting that Mrs. Darling did meet Peter before or at least had some encounter involving him, though the latter is probably the most I’d be willing to accept. Either way, I’m not so keen on the take from Peter and Starcatchers. It may be a good adventure story in its own right, but giving Peter a concrete origin that explains away everything in the myth is, to me, what midi-chlorians are to most Star Wars fans, and in some spots, it directly contradicts Barrie’s tale. (As you can figure, I’m not exactly looking forward to the Warner Bros origin story coming out next year.) Really, I thought Peter Pan in Scarlet sounded like a truer adaptation.





Nana 













Moviefan12:   Nana   is clearly very loyal  to The Darling children  and  loves them  and will always  take care of them.  She  may not have the biggest role  in the film but she  does leave  a  lasting impact.    Now  as  I mentioned, Nana was originally  was supposed to go to Neverland with the children and serve  as the film's narrator  and   she had a subplot, where  she'd  be chasing Tinker Bell.   And  it wasn't too hard to find  some concept art of Nana  in Neverland.


 









I  think  that  was perhaps  the best idea  as  it could have possibly  distracted from  the story.




The Second Opinion: I pretty much have to agree. I do like her devotion to her role as nurse, such as how the first thing she gets to when allowed back in the house is tucking in the brothers, and her sequences are expressive bits of animation. I have no idea how well they would have done incorporating her into Neverland, but I doubt you could convince me it’d be an improvement.




The  Lost  Boys  voiced by  Robert Ellis,  Stuffy Singer,  Jeffery Silver,  Jonny McGovern,   Singing  Voice:  Tony Butala,  Animators:  Fred Moore  and Ward Kimball

 












Moviefan12:  The  Lost  Boys are  Peter's  band  of boys that'll follow  him anywhere, he goes.  They look up to him  and  even after the adventure  is over, stay with him.  Now, this  is one of the biggest  deviations from J.M.  Barrie's  original  work because in the end of the book,  they do leave Neverland and are adopted by The Darlings.  The Disney movie is one of the few versions where they remain on Neverland  and each boy  is given a distinct  personality.   The  Twins  finish each  others'  sentences.  Cubby  is the 
toughest. Etc.. 


The Second Opinion: Pay attention Return to Neverland, because THIS is how it’s done. The lost boys are ruffians, rebellious, unruly, and unrefined, not grade school doofuses who think they’re in a two week boys’ camp, imitating gross out “boy” antics they saw on TV. That’s a perfect demonstration of how Disney applied their careful craft to these characters, when they could have phoned it in. And I can see allowing them to stay in Neverland this time around, to keep the ending more focused on Wendy.

Tick-Tock  The Crocodile voiced by Jimmy MacDonald  Animators:  Wolfgang  "Woolie"   Reitherman








Moviefan12:  Ah yes,  Tick-Tock.   One  of the most memorable aspects   of the original  film to be sure.    Quite  a humorous  character  that  has an appetite  for  Hook  that cannot  be tamed  as  he  got  a taste  of Hook's  left hand and now wants the full course.  You always  know he's coming, when you hearing the ticking of an alarm clock.  Hence the name and other  then trying to eat Hook, he's  mostly  a neutral character that doesn't  get in the way of the story.   His  role is a minor subplot at best , albeit a very humorous one.





The Second Opinion: Not to mention the sheer humor in his expressions, hoping for his chance to eat Hook. But unlike the novel, it doesn’t happen, because a significant death by high quality slapstick is an oxymoron. Also, there’s symbolic importance here: Can it be any coincidence that the greatest fear of a man whose enemy is eternal youth is a ticking clock?


Tiger Lily  voiced by Corrine Orr 

   









Moviefan12: Tiger Lily  is the only  one of the Indians that we really get to know.  And we actually  don't  know that much about her.  We  know, that  she  is friends with Peter Pan and that Hook  kidnaps  her knowing this information.  She comes across as brave and stoic and not to listen to Hook nor to trust him but other then that,  I couldn't  really gauge too much on her.   





The Second Opinion: You know, it never occurred to me when I was young that Tiger Lily doesn’t talk, save for a muffled cry for help, because she seemed to occupy the same narrative space as any supporting character. We see her holding her keeping her cool and refusing Captain Hook, dutifully doing her part in the ceremony next to her father, and joyfully – not to mention affectionately – dancing with Peter. I suppose it’s true that actions speak louder than words. There’s still leeway, and I probably couldn’t summarize her in a sentence, but you can sort of picture the kind of person who does all of these things. I’d hang out with Tiger Lily.

Fun fact: In the novel there was no chief, and Tiger Lily was actually the leader of the tribe. 




 Music


The Second Star To The Right


Moviefan12:   This is such a great opening number and it  just screams Disney, when you hear it.  This is one of those iconic  Disney songs that to me  is an anthem of Disney.  Probably comes from  going to Disney World so many times and I remember this being the goodbye song as you left the parks.   It  just screams  Disney  to me.  Maybe even more, than  "When You Wish Upon A Star",  I think is the true Disney anthem.


The Second Opinion: Darn, now I wish I’d been to Disney World more than once. I never saw the song in that light, and now that you mention it, I think I like the idea. But on the other hand, the best songs in Peter Pan just seems so unique to the movie itself, to the point where it’s hard for me to picture one without the other.

I’d seen a few Disney movies before this one, but what an intro this was when I got to Peter Pan. It felt like nothing I’d ever watched before. There was something stronger here than the usual fanciful whimsy. It was ardent, exuberant, otherworldly. Coupled with the, vague nighttime images of Neverland, the lines chanted by the chorus create a tone like nothing else I’ve ever quite experienced. It’s like a tribute to the memory of Neverland and its wonders before we’ve even been there, renewing my enthusiasm for the movie every time I start watching it again.




You  Can Fly,  You  Can Fly, You Can Fly


Moviefan12:  Okay,   I get taken  back to my youth each time,  I hear  Peter say  "Here we go"  and again this song is just so fun and peaceful and as I said up top,  my happy thought to fly would probably be  Carrie Underwood.  Back  on topic,  I like the idea,  that so  long as you have the dust and a happy thought, you'll be able to fly.  It's just a happy song in that regard and puts a big dumb grin on my face.



The Second Opinion: Is it ever.
You know how you said your special connection to a Disney moment is your mother singing Baby Mine to you as a baby? Mine’s the dreams I started having every night about being able to fly after seeing this sequence, which still have me half-convinced that I know what it’s like. In fact, once in a blue moon, I still have them, but I never fly as far or as fast now, and there usually has to be some kind of explanation. Maybe I grew up after all.

To me, this is the first and still the best of the scenes that tried to show us what it’s like to “really” fly. The song is paced so well, building the excitement in the beginning as the Darlings fly out the window with Peter, before they explore all the ways they can move about in space. Here, the song has a distinctly 50s tint, a more affectionate time period with all the ingredients to convey the innocence and wonder of the experience. But when they reach Big Ben, it builds to something timeless. Bolstered by the final line, which the chorus belts so ardently, the height, the thrill, and the airborn freedom all come through so vividly in the last shot, enough so that for a few seconds, You Can Fly feels like the most epic song in Disney’s canon. And of course, that same line returns at the end for a different purpose, which might be every bit as powerful.




A  Pirate's  Life

Moviefan12:  There's a small part of me that wonders  if  they were testing out lyrics for the  Yo Ho  on Pirates of The Caribbean with this song but I'm hesitant to  say that as this came out in the '50s  and   Pirates didn't  open until '67. Maybe,  but  I think I'm making a connection that isn't there.


 The Second Opinion: Well, I’m no expert on the ride, but I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that this was the inspiration. The song itself is a smooth transition that fits the deliberate, theatrical tone the movie was setting in its first half, and that’s a good way to enter a scene of the pirates doing what they do on the ship.


Following  The Leader

Moviefan12:  This  to me seems to be the most  childish song  in nature. Note, that does  not make it bad but it  just  has this sense of youth to it that  is hard to ignore and  I would say you should embrace it, to get some enjoyment out of this number.




The Second Opinion: Agreed. It’s the wrong song to cite in demonstrating the real power of the soundtrack, but it’s often cited anyway just for how memorable it is. It’s a cute little trip through Neverland.



What  Makes The Red Man Red


Moviefan12:  Yeah.... this song. Hmm,  yeah....  it was a different time and people didn't know better. Granted this isn't the worst song sung by Indians in something related to Peter Pan,  that  honor would go to Ug A Wug but  yeah as I mentioned previously,  this one  like  The Crows from Dumbo is a product of it's time and while the Crows don't  bug me,  this  just makes me really uncomfortable.  


The Second Opinion: Some of you may think my last word on this song seemed a bit unprofessional… maybe I should start over.

It’s my belief that I have no right to tell Native Americans, or anyone else for that matter, whether they should be offended by this song. But from what I have to take into account, I can’t personally muster hard feelings here – especially considering the source material – except maybe for a level of slightly dense naivety. The “Indians” are portrayed as braver and smarter than the lost boys and entirely more civil than the pirates. They are Peter and co.’s worthy allies, in short, and the song is meant to be all of them celebrating together, which is where I point out that as a technical feat, it’s fun-loving, energetic, and distinct. Even the stereotypes (that they have red skin, inaccurate customs, and a mediocre grasp on English as their second language), though there’s no calling them anything else, are hardly negative stereotypes. It’s a strict place to draw the line if you draw it here, but then again, some people feel we need to be a little stricter with these attitudes.





Your  Mother  And Mine 

Moviefan12:  Man,  this  has to be one of the more underrated sad songs from Disney.  I mean,  it even got pirates crying.  That should be worth something and  just wow,  this song speaks for itself with how beautiful it is.  Words cannot do this song justice.  It's  just so pretty.



The Second Opinion: That it is, swaying everyone except Peter. In that brief glimpse of what makes him tick, while everyone else lies misty eyed around Wendy, Peter sits on the other room, hearing every word and taking no pleasure. Turning stone faced towards the door, he glumly snaps the arrow he’s holding and tosses it away. Then, just once, he relents and gets up to peer through doorway. It’s a song about something that anyone can grasp, and it makes you believe that it’s affecting everyone on a deep and personal level.

The Elegant Captain Hook

Moviefan12:  I'll be honest and say that I forgot that Hook had a villain song.  I think because it's rather short but it's  still a lot of fun, if not all that memorable but it is still very fun.


The Second Opinion: It’s not? Good! Please tell me how to pry the image of choreographed pirates jumping up and down and chanting “You’ll LOVE the life of a thief! You’ll cherish the life of a crook!” out of my head! Otherwise though, I also find it fun, a maliciously pleasant jig that’s almost Hook’s victory lap, corrupting the boys he’s bested.





Villains


Mr.  Smee  voiced  by  Bill Thompson  













Moviefan12:     The thing that is most interesting  about Smee   is  that even though,  he's  loyal  to  Hook, almost  to  a fault, he's  almost too  kind to be what one would consider a pirate.  He's  got  a big heart  and  is almost  grandfatherly in some areas.  I know,  it seems  weird  to say  that, but  I truly  view  him that way.  As  I said,  Smee  is loyal to hook, almost to a fault  and  that causes him to trip  over himself and  causes  him to make mistakes. 


The Second Opinion: All true, but on the other hand, he does inadvertently state a few times that he’s not bothered by the blood the pirates spill. At least, sort of. (He did seem sincere when removing his hat for Peter’s “death.”) While there’s no way not to like the old caretaker, who just couldn’t be any harm on his own, he does condone what the pirates do just enough for me to accept the lumps he has to take with them. Honestly though, I don’t think I’d have it any other way. Smee, as played, is perhaps the single funniest thing in this movie. His drunken misunderstanding of Captain Hook manipulating Tinker Bell is so hilariously sincere, it makes me laugh even harder than Captain Hook and Tick Tock.


 Captain Hook  voiced  by Hans Conried  Animators :  Frank Thomas  and   Wolfgang  "Woolie"  Reitherman















Moviefan12:   Ah, Hook.   Quite  a formidable foe  for Pan.   Sure,  he  has  his funny  moments but Hook  is also  cunning and ruthless and easily irritable as  seen  by when he shoots one of his crew fro singing off-key.    Hook  is  also  good at  finding  loopholes  while keeping his word  such as planting the bomb.   Now,   I also  want to touch upon how  Hans Conried played both  Mr. Darling and Hook and I've seen it suggested that Hook's  rivalry with Pan  is meant to represent how Mr.  Darling  belittles and almost antagonizes the notion  of Peter Pan being real  and in that regard,  this gives me a very  Wizard of  Oz  vibe with how Margaret Hamilton   played  both  The Witch and Miss Gulch  because  just as Dorothy  was projecting the people she knew onto these new characters in Oz,  I think that Wendy was doing the same in Neverland with Hook.  



The Second Opinion: I can definitely vouch for the threatening side of Hook, for all the reasons you described. It’s fine for the character to be funny, but I think what a lot of adaptations failed to understand is that his threatening demeanor is why laughs at his expense are satisfying. Making the character himself so laughable that the threat is nullified ruins the effect. In a way, he’s actually one of Disney’s most exciting villains, for the very reason that he doesn’t make Peter look like an underdog. Instead of million-to-one odds that doom the hero to succeed, the evenly matched sword fights really feel like they’re allowed to go either way, which they do. Hook is not all powerful and he’s not inhuman, but he is mean. And he’s bigger than you.



Our Final Thoughts


Moviefan12:   Before this review,  I hadn't  watched this film in a long time and I'm glad I got to revisit it as it was  a lot of fun and captures  the essence and innocence of youth.  It  takes you back to a simpler time, when you didn't have so many worries in the world and you could just have fun.

 The Second Opinion: The original novel is both an ethereal take on the wonder of childhood and a dark exploration of the necessity of growing up. Different adaptations have explored both sides to various degrees, some more successfully than others. Here, the darkness is only hinted at, and the focus is on the light. But it’s done so well that I will always consider it the definitive take on that side of Barrie’s story. It’s the first movie that really made a mark on me, and I’d have to credit it for that, even if I had a list of movies that matched what it did for me. But even more impressive is the fact that I don’t.


Moviefan12:  Second Opinion, thank you for joining me on this  rather extensive review.


No comments:

Post a Comment