Take A Look at Disney

6/18/11

Music Fridays # 13: Richard Sherman

What's this a Music Friday up on a  Saturday right after the last Music Fridays. Well yeah, I decided to put this one up today as  I don't think I'll be able to post it on Friday as I'm going for some minor surgey. Nothing too serious. Still, I wanted you guys to be able and enjoy this special Music Fridays. One last note before I start, I know I said I was going to start Retrun of The Requests on Monday but I'll be out of town. So I'm going to wait until after I get from my Chicago trip to start Return of The Requests. Anyways with that out of the way, let's begin.




If you recall last week, I told you that this Music Fridays would be about someone who made a large part in Disney history. Well that is correct, today I'll be showcasing classic Disney songs as performed by Richard Sherman. Now if you don't know, who he is. Richard Sherman is one half of the classic songwriting team that worked for Disney for many, many years. They wrote most of the songs that were used in the Walt-era films. This is a case of you may not know the name but you'll know the music. Now for you Disney music fans, who are wondering why only Richard Sherman? Two answers, I have always found Richard the more relatable brother and  there were more performances of Richard on YouTube. So, I hope that answers your
question.



Feed The Birds




Now you'll have to forgive Mr. Sherman as he is a bit older in most of these videos. Anyways, I have decided to start off with the song that was most loved by Walt. Feed The Birds was Walt's favorite song and whenever he would go to The Laughing Place. His place for his happiness and the Shermans were there. He would tell them, "Play it" and they knew which song they he was referring to. I believe Walt once said "That's what it's all about".  After one playing of this song. Meaning in life just be kind to your fellow man and treat them the way you wish to be treated.  This performance is something special. Seeing Mr. Sherman perform these songs that he wrote with his brother almost brings a tear to my eye. Especially if you know the back story of these two as they do not get along at all.

It's a Small World





I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the biggest fan of this song but the way it is sung by Richard makes it something else. It is still a fun song and you can tell he is putting his heart into this song but here again it is almost somber.  I find that his performance of this classic park song takes a song that is known to be joyful and fluffy actually adds depth and meaning behind the words when he performs the song. Also it is much less annoying than hearing those dolls sing the song.


Winnie The Pooh Melody




I  must say that I think this is one of the more fun performances by Richard that I found.  Most of us know Winnie The Pooh and we  all know that classic song. Not to harp the man that helped write that classic song but he does tend to go a little fast at certain points in this performance but for the most part, I loved it and then his segway in The Wonderful Thing about Tiggers is great and I have to say that I find that to be the highlight of this performance because when he goes into Tigger's voices, I can actually picture Tigger in my mind.


I Wanna Be Like You





These young kids don't even know the awesomeness of this performance but that doesn't matter. As you can see Richard is just happy to be able and perform for these young kids. That's what it should be. Just be happy doing what you love and that is shown here. You can see that he has a big heart in this video and the kids are really getting into it. This has to be one of my favorite videos even if the song is a little short here but he puts his heart and soul into this song.



There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow





Now I knew there was no way that I could get out  of doing this without showing a performance by Richard and his brother.  In this grand video that was made for The World's Fair, you see Richard and his brother perform There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow alongside Walt.  There is something special about seeing The Sherman Brothers perform alongside Walt. Now the video does go on after the song has ended as Walt shows what The Carousel of Progress will be. I encourage you to watch it though as it is a wonderful piece of Disney history.


Now if you want to learn more about Richard Sherman and his brother, you should pick up a copy of the documentary, The Boys:  The Sherman Brother's Story. Watching their story in some areas is almost tragic. It really gives you insight into their the rocky relationship as these two brothers and you learn that Walt was part of the glue that held them together for so long.   Here's the trailer.







Join me next week for Music Fridays when I take a look at my favorite Pixar songs.


Just like I said when I covered Annette, if there is any Disney Music star, you want me to cover jsut let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment