Take A Look at Disney

12/9/11

Christmas: Christmas Maximus

Hello and once again welcome back to the celebration.  Join me today as I review one of the shorts from Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas.   Now I know that is a DTV (direct to video) sequel   but it is a sequel to another DTV and I actually think it's okay.  Personally, I think this is the best short from the bunch.  With that said, let's begin.

The Plot


The basic plot of this short is that Max is bringing home a girl to spend the holidays with him and his dad at his house but he is worried that Goofy will embarrass him and go overboard.  Which he does on a few occasions but Goofy can't help it if he loves Max and he is proud of his son.


Narration

Narrator  - Clive Russell

The narration here was only used to introduce and close out the short.  It was nice way of setting up the story and the relationship between Goofy and Max.  Dimple but here it worked.


Characters

For this, I'll be breaking it down into Main, & Supporting.


Main Character

Max voiced by James Marsden









In some ways, it's hard to describe Max in this short.  He past  the state of what he was in both films but here I believe he is trying to show that he can be an adult and have a serious relationship with a girl in this  case, Mona.  (How come we never see Roxanne after her one appearance on House of Mouse?)   It is evident that he loves his dad but as his common with most Goofy/Max stories, he is embarrassed by some of Goofy's antics.  Which is understandable and unlike an An Extremely Goofy Movie, where Max came off as somewhat of a jerk, he just feels more or less frustrated here with the situation at hand.   Because he is in that stage in his life, where he's no longer a child and trying to prove himself as a man mostly to Mona.   It takes Max leaving the house and looking at the scarf his dad made for him to realize that Goofy's actions are meant out of love and never intended to make him look bad.


Supporting Characters


Goofy voiced by Bill Farmer









The way Goofy is presented here is pretty much what I have come to expect when given stories that deal with Goofy and Max.  He can go a tad overboard at times showing his love for Max as evidenced here by him showing Mona that huge baby picture of Max.  In some instances though and it's not just this short either, I feel as though Goofy needs a filter to let him what is okay and what is crossing the line but I assume we have all had that feeling with our parents at least once in our life.  I do appreciate the fact that Goofy is still shown as a loving and caring father because as stated on my Top 6 Disney Dads list,  that is what makes him a good father and it shown here again that he is a good father but sometime a little overbearing.


Mona  voiced by  Kellie Martin









What can I say about Mona? Well, she was there?  Sadly,  Mona wasn't given much of a personality other than being Max's new girlfriend.   She barely had any dialogue and you'll see what I mean in a second.  Mona was more or less a plot device to keep the story going and while she was at the center of the story, she wasn't an important character but rather just another plot device.


Music


Make Me Look Good





Now this video includes the entire short but in this case, I'm okay with that as A. this is the only way I could find the song on YouTube and B.  it helps to tell the story of this short as with this song, we are getting a look inside Max's head and what he is feeling.  Admittedly, the song does sound a bit generic but that is what you get with  DTV's.    You never get the best songs with these films but it's okay and it helps to set up Max's relationship with Goofy and where it is at this point in his life.


My Final Thoughts

Out of all the shorts featured on Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas. This one is probably my favorite.  True, it may be the shortest but I feel it has the most heart to it and like with many Max/Goofy moments, it helps to expand and further explore their relationship.  Admittedly,  this short didn't need the Christmas setting for the plot  to work as this could have been set during anytime of the year and be given the same scenario but I feel that the element of Christmas just adds another layer of something special to it. And as for these classic characters being rendered in CGI, I don't mind really.  To me this looks fine.   Yes, I prefer seeing these characters hand-drawn but they look decent enough here.  So closes out another Christmas article and closes another year here on  A Look at Disney.  It's been quite a year, I celebrated my One Year, became a member of a reviewing site and have met some awesome people along the way.  Until I return from California...








No comments:

Post a Comment