Take A Look at Disney

2/15/12

Can We Talk about Saving Mrs. Banks



Right around now, there are rumors floating around of a biopic about Walt's attempts to get the films rights to Mary Poppins.  It has been reported that Tom Hanks would play Walt and that Meryl Streep will play the author of Mary Poppins,  P.L. Travers.  Now this is something that I kinda have mixed feelings on.  On the one had, I've always wanted Disney to make a biopic about Walt but I've realized that this would be a massive undertaking and now I know Disney is trying to obtain the rights to the screenplay, so this is not an original script from Disney themselves but I do think that focusing on one point in his career is a better idea. Although this is just me but I'd rather see a biopic about the making of Snow White. 


Anyways back to the topic at hand, this biopic creates so many questions in my head such as is Tom Hanks really a good choice to play Walt?   Don't get me wrong, I love Hank's work such as Forest Gump or Castaway and let's not forget Toy Story but I just can't picture but Walt as Walt. I know I need to try condition my mind to an actor playing Walt but  I'm just not sure.



Going to Mr. Disney for a second, if Mr. Hanks was to  actually play Walt, there is so much that he would have to try to emulate from Walt's voice.  It may not be a unique but it's a distinctive voice.   Now I  did post as a discussion in Fans of Disney and you guys came up with some good suggestions to play Walt such as Nic Cage or John Slattery.  
















To be fair, I think that the main reason that Slattery was mentioned is that he was basically playing Walt in Iron Man 2.    Now whoever plays Walt, I think would do a fine job if given the right material, they'd do a fine job.


Now moving on to another thing that I wish to discuss is seeing as how this film is about Mary Poppins, I have to ask who could play The Sherman Brothers, Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews.  Now I'm not going to try and cast anyone because I don't think I'm any good at that but if this film does get made, there are one of two ways, I could see this ending.    I could see the film ending with Walt finally getting the rights to make the film  and go off to shoot or it go through Walt making the film and end with the premiere.  Again, I'm just speculating because I've never seen the actual screenplay and my ending could be way off from what the ending in the screenplay could be.


At the end of the day, this is  just some fan speculation and I know that this is a shorter Can We Talk about than usual but I still wanted to talk about this. I hope that you've enjoyed this and share your thoughts in the comments below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment