Take A Look at Disney

3/21/12

Classic Shorts Showcase: The Ugly Duckling (1931)

Hello and welcome back to Classic Shorts Showcase. Today and next week, I'll be taking a look at The Ugly Duckling. Now you see, this is a short that was made twice but both versions tend to be rather different. This one while sympathetic, you could still laugh at the actions of the Duckling unlike next week's version, which is rather heartbreaking. I should also note that this short is the first black and white to be featured on Showcase. Don't know about you but I'm surprised it took this long.


The Plot


The plot of this short is rather simple in that it is just a retelling of the classic tale with some minor changes here and there such as having the short taking place on a barn and the duckling being hatched alongside hens and well. it's cute.  The short's plot works well and that is great because the short has to be able express all of this without any dialogue.


Characters


There is really no need to break it down, this time. Let's get into it.


The Ugly Duckling













The Duckling may not be the cutest but he has a sympathetic look to him and I would love it always seemed he looked as though he was looking to be accepted.  He may not be the cutest character but there is a charm about him.   Which I think part of that comes from the fact of the look of the older Disney shorts, which while they had a crude look to them, they're still entertaining to look at.

Mother Hen
















Mother Hen in this short was mean spirited and really hated the Duckling. That is until he saved the day and her other babies from going down a waterfall. At the end of the day, she came to accept the Duckling for who he is. Though unlike some other shorts where this has happened, I had a bit of a problem because it felt out of character more than any other short for the main character to be accepted.


My Final Thoughts




This was a decent short and I'd say give if it a watch if only for the sole purpose of checking out some of the older Disney shorts. This was good and I enjoyed it for the most part and it not being color didn't deter my enjoyment. The imagery was great. Join me next week when I take a look at the 1939 remake of The Ugly Duckling.



No comments:

Post a Comment