Take A Look at Disney

7/25/12

Classic Shorts Showcase: The Little House

Hello & welcome back.  I have to thank my best friend for pointing out this short to me.


The Plot


The Little House is a short that is very much like my personal favorite Susie The Little Blue Coupe in many ways.  In this short we follow the life of a little house as she starts out as a lonely little house on the hill to having other more snooty buildings but that doesn't matter as she's happy during her life but there are many times during the show that you fear for the little house's life such as construction going on during her lifetime and at one point at the end, you fear that she'll be demolished but no, people are taking her back to a hill.  This plot was rather simple but it indeed worked for this short and I appreciate the fact that our narrator, the oh so brilliant Sterling Holloway brought to life, The Little House.





Narration




Narrator- Sterling Holloway


It's Sterling, of course I liked it.  Okay, I guess I need to go into further detail.  Sterling is his usual self when it comes to his narration as I stated above describes the house and gives her a bit of life. Sterling knew the right words to use to describe The Little House as a character. This was by and far one of his best narrations.



Character




The Little House
















If you can see off in the distance, there is The Little House.  She's a sweet little house that just wants someone to love her and take care of her.  Only at night does she ever feel lonely as she is the only house on the hill. Now one thing I didn't bring up yet is that this short has an aesthetic of a children's book.   If anything comes to mind it would be the Little Golden Books.   Now I do not know  if The Little House as the book was released by Little Golden Books,  but for some reason looking at this animation makes me think of that. That's enough on the animation. The Little House herself as I stated previously reminded a lot of Susie The Little Blue Coupe in how while she was happy being what she was, she wouldn't mind another house to come around but as it did, she saw that they weren't very friendly and looked down upon her for being a little house.   Not only that but you also got a sense that the Little House felt intimidated being squeezed between these two bigger buildings.
















As time went on for The Little House, she went from being on a hill to eventually the big city was encroaching on her space and things just didn't seem the same.  She felt rundown and out of her element.  You could really feel for The Little House here as she just looked so lonely and sad and wanted to go back to the hill where she lived before all of this development and progress happened.















Well, The Little House got her wish at the end and got to go back on a hill and there she was happy once more and with some fixings and a new paint job, she felt brand new.




My Final Thoughts

This is such a wonderful short. It is amazing how the combination of animation, Sterling's wonderful narration and facial expressions on The Little House are able to bring her ti life and make you feel for her.   As I said at the beginning, this short is on the same level as Susie The Little Blue Coupe, which I often consider to have the best narration in any Disney short and once again Sterling Holloway does not disappoint. I cannot suggest this short enough.  It is worth your time and you'll fall in love with The Little House, the same way I did.  Join me next time as I look at...


Farmyard Symphony 




No comments:

Post a Comment