Take A Look at Disney

8/25/12

Can We Talk about The Rocketeer Reboot




Hello & welcome back.  Recently, Spill.com reported that Disney is that looking to reboot The Rocketeer.  Now  this does not surprise me as superhero films are big right now and there is also no doubt in my mind that Disney may have been influenced by the success of The Avengers, that came out earlier this year.  





More specifically, Captain America: The First Avenger.  Which to me shows that period pieces with superheroes can work.  Now this is not my opinion but there it is something I agree with as someone on a podcast I listen to said these films can work because Nazis are safe bad guys as people can enjoy watching Nazis being beat up by heroes.




Now as many of you may know both the original Rocketeer and Captain America: The First Avenger were directed by Joe Johnston.  





Now my first thought when I read of this reboot idea was that Disney should get Joe Johnston back to direct but then  I woke up and realized that more than likely would not happen.  Just a thought but I think part of that came from the fact that The Rocketeer is perhaps my favorite superhero film. Something I pointed out in my review of the film as well.  Now I do want to go into this reboot with an open mind.  Still, it's a bit hard for me to do that.  I don't want to cry foul just yet on this as I don't know enough about this reboot and I do intend to an article  similar to my Oz article, when the first trailer for this reboot is released.  




I guess that I just have to be hopeful for this reboot and I just ask that whoever, Disney chooses to direct this film, please do not copy Christopher Nolan as I do not think that would work for this character.  I don't know who would be a good director for this film but it needs to be someone that can balance both the film being fun and having some serious moments. All the same,  I'll try to put aside bias and love for the old film and try to be as fair as I can to the reboot, which I personally hope is successful as I've felt that if the original film was handled better, it could've been Disney's next Tron.   Sure, the fanbase may not have been big but let's be honest,   Tron is the bigger moneymaker and also when,  Disney released the 20th Annivesary Blu-Ray, there were no special features on it whatsoever.  No, commentary, no making of,  no deleted scenes.  What about something like a featurette on testing the rocket.

   


That's one of the big reasons I've yet to pick it up and maybe if Disney does go through with the reboot, they'll actually release a Blu-Ray that the original deserves.  I think that it could give them the push to realize that "Oh yeah,  people like this movie".   That's just a side thing but all in all, I'm hopeful but weary on the idea doing a reboot. What are your thoughts? Tell me in the comments. Peace!


No comments:

Post a Comment