Take A Look at Disney

8/27/12

Classic Shorts Showcase: The Cold Blooded Penguin

Hello and welcome back to Classic Shorts Showcase. Today, I'll be taking a look at The Cold Blooded Penguin. The Cold Blooded Penguin is a short that was found in The Three Caballeros. It was the first shown and just like a lot of other films from this period, it was part of a package film.  With that out of the way, let's begin.


The Plot


The plot is a bit simple but it's cute. We open the short in the South Pole and there we meet penguins who are happy living in the South Pole save for one, Pablo who just wishes to be warm and spends most of his day at the stove, Smokey Joe.















Pablo decides to head out and leave.  He tries multiple times in different ways until he just cuts his piece of ice and uses it as a boat.  Some methods include walking or bringing Smokey Joe with him.  At one point, he fell into the ice and he became frozen.




 




For most of the short after Pablo leaves, he is just riding on his ice boat and at one point, he even comes across Neptune.  This is afterwards when Pablo enter the hotter side of his voyage and poor Pablo didn't realize ice would melt.  Probably because he'd never been to a hot area and this led to one of my favorite jokes where Pablo's new ship being his bathtub was filling up with water and to fix this, he used his shower head as a motor.













And then we finally get to see Pablo at his destination of the Galapagos Island and recreate the same sequence of the beginning as in the beginning Pablo was looking at postcards of warm destinations and it ends with him on a hammock with a tan looking at pictures of home.

















That was such a nice touch and all in all, I love the plot to this short and this short itself is that was a childhood favorite of mine.  Honestly, out of everything The Three Caballeros has to offer, this is my favorite segment and I could just pop in the VHS copy I own of this film for this short alone.


Narration

Narrator - Sterling Holloway


Man, it's getting hard to talk about Sterling with how often he has made an appearance as a narrator on Showcase. As usual, he performed wonderfully and while I would say that his delivery aided in my enjoyment. This is one of the few times in a short that he narrated where he didn't need to bring the character to life as really, the character acted out in pantomime.  Going to Sterling, this short reminds me why I love his voice so much as it is very sweet.



Character


Now there's no need to break this down any further than just character. With that out of the way, let's go.


Pablo














Pablo was such a fun character.  Again, he was simple and most of the fun in this short I felt came from watching him try to reach his destination.  Also,  just the idea of a penguin that wants to go to a warm weathered location is funny in concept and I feel that this short pulled it off quite well.   What I said earlier about Pablo talking about the narration, I'm not sure if it's true. Because while we do learn that Pablo like warm weather, I don't feel as though we get to learn much about hi but you don't need to for this short. Because this short is more about watching him reach his destination.


My Final Thoughts

This is a fun short and one of my favorites from childhood.  I'm rewatching it in my head as I type out this review and it is just as funny.  Pablo is one of the funniest characters, I've seen.  Join me next time as I take a look at...

The Flying Gauchito


No comments:

Post a Comment