Take A Look at Disney

3/16/13

Can We Talk about Disney's Decision To Put Hand-Drawn Animated Films on Hold

"To my knowledge we're not developing a 2D or hand-drawn feature animated film right now," said Iger. "There is a fair amount of activity going on in hand-drawn animation but it's largely for television at this point. We're not necessarily ruling out the possibility [of] a feature but there isn't any in development at the company at the moment."


Recently, it was announced that Disney would no be  putting  hand-drawn animated films on hold.  There are two ways, I have to look at this.   As a fan,  I could be angry and rage about it but that wouldn't accomplish anything.  So rather, I'm just saddened by the news.  And as much Disney is a lifestyle to me, I have to remember that Disney is first and foremost a business.   And in that regard,  it's clear to see that this was a business decision.   It's not one I agree with but when I try to put myself  in the shoes of the people that run Disney. I can kinda see where they're coming from in making this choice.   Now,  to further explore my point, let's take a look at the last two hand drawn animated films Disney released.
















These are both very good films but they were sadly released around the same time as two big blockbusters.


















Both of these films, no matter how hard you try to deny squashed the competition.  With Avatar, I don't know that anyone knew what to expect and it became the phenomena that it is I assume mostly through word of mouth and agree/disagree,  it has been heralded as  our Star Wars.  Now with the final Harry Potter,  Disney made the crazy mistake of releasing Winnie The Pooh on the same day as HP7 Pt. 2.   People were uber excited about this film because most people my age grew up with the Harry Potter films and we weren't going to miss out on seeing this. Even if I saw Pooh before Potter.  As I've stated in the past,  I'm a Disney fan before any other fandom.        So, my thinking here is that Disney right or wrong may have assumed that hand drawn films don't make as much money these days and that may not have a place in our society any longer. It hurts saying that but name me an animated film from last year that was released theatrically. Chances are, it was either CGI or Stop-Motion.    I ask you, when the was the last time you saw a trailer for a hand-drawn theatrical release?      The only film, that is coming to mind right now for me is Winnie The Pooh (2011).     Now just because Disney may not be making hand-drawn theatrical releases, that does not mean 2D is dead at Disney.   Earlier, this week, they released the first of 19 new hand drawn Mickey Mouse shorts.








Which, if you haven't watched this do.  It's a great throwback to classic Mickey shorts.   I guess, the best way to wrap up my thoughts on this is to say, I'm disappointed as a fan in this decision but at the same time,  I understand their decision.  And I still trust their computer animated films to live up to the Disney Standard. I mean for goodness' sake,  my second favorite Disney film is Tangled.




 


















Which in many ways, felt like one of the '90s hand drawn Disney films.     I guess, I just have this to say as long as Disney's  CGI films can remind why I love Disney and consider it more a lifestyle and less a fandom, then I'm okay.   I'll only worry when their films start to take a dip in quality.     But for the most part, even though there have been some bumpy roads,  I'll always enjoy their films.  Peace!

6 comments:

  1. Okay I think I need to point out why that first sentence is utterly wrong. Quote:

    "To my knowledge we're not developing a 2D or hand-drawn feature animated film right now," said Iger. "There is a fair amount of activity going on in hand-drawn animation but it's largely for television at this point. We're not necessarily ruling out the possibility [of] a feature but there isn't any in development at the company at the moment."

    That is what he said. Not "no more hand-drawn animated movies ever." Thus whilst I agree with everything you said in the post, I think it's misleading and flat out wrong to state that no more hand-drawn animated movies will ever be made again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for the situation itself I'm a bit upset. I like 2D films, I think there's still a market for it and I think Disney can do a lot with it. However the far more important thing to remember is not how Disney made the films technically, but how they made them emotionally. Snow White, Pinochio, Dumbo etc aren't good films because they're hand drawn. They're good films because of the emotional impact they leave with the audience. As long as that emotional impact remains then regardless of how they make the film, the film will still stand up to the high Disney standard we've all come to know and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! That is a point that I wanted to make and I don't know I'd if it came across.

      Delete
    2. Oh it did, I was knicking it from you :P

      Delete