Take A Look at Disney

3/14/13

Music Fridays # 86: And The Award Goes To Pt. 3

Notice:  Moviefan is about to make a huge mistake that he may regret in an alternate realm as he goes up against Darkfan21.  In the meantime, he had prepared the finale of And The Award Goes To as he did not want this to be thrown off schedule just because of being stuck in alternate realm.  He's probably wishing that he could've gone to Equestira instead of where he is right now.  








Hello and welcome to the finale of my multi part Music Fridays taking a look at all of the Disney songs that have won the Academy Award for Best Original Song. 



You'll Be In My Heart - 1999 (72nd Academy Awards)











The nominees alongside You'll Be In My Heart were...





Okay,   this is an interesting list of songs that were nominated. The only two I didn't know were Save Me and Music of  My Heart and those are pretty good. Now I'd known of Blame Canada because of South Park and to be honest, I'm not a fan and to be honest, that song is one of the stupidest things, I've ever heard.  Yeah, I didn't care for it.  But I would have to narrow it down to both of the Disney nominated songs but this is a tough pick because it's like choosing between two people I love. I can't do it!  I mean When She Loved Me is easily the best song in any of the Toy Story films and the emotion is so strong and amazing.  It can bring you to tears but on the other hand, You'll Be In My Heart is the modern day Baby Mine and I do not say that lightly as that is in my opinion, the greatest Disney song ever!   Good thing I wasn't voting because I'd want it to be a tie between this and When She Loved Me.



If I Didn't Have You - 2001 (74th Academy Awards)









The nominees alongside If I Didn't Have You were...





Okay, I think it's time I admit I've never seen any of the Lord of the Rings movies all the way through and have no desire to as when I tried to read Fellowship of The Ring, I found it to be one of the most boring reading experiences of my life.   That said however May It Be is sung in such a gorgeous manner and I can see it fitting the world of Middle Earth and it seems like a song that would've won this year.  I was not able to find Vanilla Sky to listen to.   And Until, my entire reaction to that song can be summed up as huh?   And as There You'll Be, I'd forgotten about that song but I recall there being a point when that song was overplayed and saturated the Country radio stations.   Weird, how Faith Hill has two decent songs attached to two horrid movies.  If you recall last week, I mentioned there were two songs that I forgot had won. The first being Colors of The Wind, well this is the other one. To be quite honest, this isn't a bad song but not what I would expect t to win.  After listening to all of the songs, I could for '01, it seemed like May It Be should've won that year.





We Belong Together - 2010 (83rd Academy Awards)








The nominees alongside this hack were...







Let's not hold anything back here.  The best way to sum up my feeling about this song winning is by using this gem.























In no world did this song deserve to win!   It is the second worst Pixar song right behind the horrid  Spanish version of You've Got a Friend In Me.  There's no need hiding it, we all know what song I think should've won. (Hint: It should've been I See The Light)   but even taking that aside,  every other song that was up for nomination alongside We Belong Together felt real whereas this  song felt fake and as though Randy Newman was just remaking You've Got A Friend In Me.   I'll never understand why, this song won. When it didn't deserve to win over a much better song and I'm not just referring to I See The Light. Every other song nominated was a million times better then this song.   Look,   I don't  hate Toy Story 3 as much as I used to but I still hate this song, perhaps even more then I despise Mother Knows Best, which is one of my most hated Disney songs.



Man or Muppet - 2011 (85th Academy Awards)










The only other nominee alongside Man or Muppet was...



 "Real in Rio" — Rio • Music: Sérgio Mendes and Carlinhos Brown • Lyrics: Siedah Garrett



Now I'll admit I haven't gotten around to seeing Rio. Probably should considering how much I play Angry Birds: Rio on my IPad.   And well, Real In Rio may convince me as this is a really cool song save for the rapping part. Why do they always do that?    That said Man or Muppet is the better song.  Because not only is heartwarming and a great introspective for these two characters, it's also a bit funny. Honestly, this song is the best song from The Muppets (2011). Sure, Pictures In My Head is great but while I was already enjoying this film by the time this song came along, this sealed the deal for me and it totally deserved to win.   Glad to see that things got better this year.



Well, this ends my look at all of the Disney songs that have won Best Original Song.    There weren't any Disney songs nominated this year, which isn't too surprising considering neither of their  big films really had music. And don't expect a retrospective on all the nominated songs that didn't win as that would take forever and I'd rather go back to doing a much simpler Music Fridays. Peace!




No comments:

Post a Comment