Take A Look at Disney

3/8/13

Music Fridays # 85: And The Awards Goes To Pt. 2





Hello & welcome back.  Today, we continue our look at Disney songs that won the award for Best Original Song. With that out of the way, let's begin.


Beauty and The Beast -  1991 (64th Academy Awards)








The nominees alongside Beauty and The Beast were...




Okay, like last time, we have more then one song from the same film nominated. Before I got to ask, how did When Your'e Alone get a nod?  It's not a bad song but it certainly isn't what I would consider Oscar worthy. Ah well, it didn't win.   And also this may seem sad but I didn't realize (Everything I Do) I Do It For You was from a movie.     Also for some reason, I thought Something There was nominated.   Hmm,  out of the three Beauty and The Beast songs nominated, it's tough to say because they are all so good  but for different reasons.  I guess I would've given it to Beauty and The Beast as well because out of those songs, it has the most depth while the other two are fun and Belle is one of my all time favorite Disney songs but Beauty and The Beast is better and it deservedly won. (Unlike one other song, we will be getting to on the next installment).




A Whole New World - 1992 (65th Academy Awards)





The nominees alongside A Whole New World were...







Just like with Beauty and The Beast and The Little Mermaid before it, Aladdin had two songs that were up for nomination. But as you can see from the list above, this was not the only film that year to have more then one song nominated. Okay, before we start, I take back anything I've ever said about Whitney Houston not having talent as I Have Nothing and moreso, Run To You proved she could pack a punch.  Now again, this one is tough to gauge.   The first two I would've knocked out would've been Friend Like Me and Beautiful Maria of My Soul. Don't get me wrong, they are good songs but out of all the songs, that I listened to for 1992, they were the weakest.   This is where it gets though because it'd be between Run To You And A Whole New World.  I admit I like them both equally but for different reasons but I think A Whole New World just barely edges out Run To You as the better song.  They are both great songs but I just feel more depth and emotion with A Whole New World. Don't get me wrong, Run To You has some raw emotion to it but I do believe that A Whole New World is the better song.




Can You Feel The Love Tonight - 1994 (67th Academy Awards)







The nominees alongside Can You Feel The Love Tonight were...






Well, it looks as thought '94 was the year of The Lion. Like, you needed me to tell you that though, who can forget the impact this movie had? And if I'm to be honest, the only songs I recognized from '94 were the ones from The Lion King. As for Look What Love Has Done, it's not a bad song. And Make Up Your Mind is better then the last Randy Newman song, I listened to for this undertaking. And oh, just so you know, I'm using the Elton John version of this song as I think is the one that was played that year. Doesn't really matter same song, just different singer. Now as with this '94, if I had to pick my top 2, they would be Circle of Life and Can You Feel The Love Tonight. Don't get me wrong, the other songs are decent but these two stand out the most. Though looking at it more, I'm shocked that Circle of Life didn't win as that feels like the type of song the Academy would award but then again with Can You Feel The Love Tonight, it too is very good. So, I'd say both of these songs are good but Can You Feel The Love Tonight isn't the song I would've expected to win, it's nice that it did.










Colors of  The Wind  - 1995 (68th Academy Awards)









The nominees alongside Colors of The Wind were...








Well, it appears that aside from You've Got A Friend In Me and Colors of The Wind, '95 was a kind of a lackluster year for this category.  Probably the worst out of all the songs nominated was A Dead Man Walking. It's hard to describe but there was just something about the sound of that song that I found rather irritating and to be quite honest, I found that song to be grating on my patience.   Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman wasn't bad  but after you listen to it, you'll forget you even listened to it. Moonlight is decent and a very nice song and perhaps more memorable then the other two. So, I'd probably put it in the Top 3 of these songs. It's not bad  but it's not the strongest nor weakest contender.   Also, I gotta be honest, when researching the songs that won this award this song and one other left me scratching my head going "Really?"   This is a tough call, I do like both You've Got A Friend In Me and Colors of The Wind and from the Academy's perspective, I can see why they chose to give the award to Colors of The Wind because it just has that feel of being a strong and beautiful and I can't believe I'm going to say this because I originally I was ready to come in here and You've Got A Friend In Me should've won but no,  it shouldn't have. Colors of The Wind deserved the win.   It may have had me scratching my head that this song but it is a stronger song then You've Got A Friend In Me.






Well, that's all for today. Join me next as we continue our look at the Disney songs that have been honored with the award for Best Original Song.

































No comments:

Post a Comment