Take A Look at Disney

5/16/13

Can We Talk about "Sexy" Merida

Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney.   Recently,   Princess Merida from Brave joined the Disney Princess line up. Cool,  I'm okay with a Pixar character joining but there was some controversy surrounding this.  Because Merida received a make over and maybe it's just because I'm  a guy but I see nothing wrong with the new Merida.  Now that does not mean, I don't have aesthetic complaints, no.  I have  issues with things  such as the new hairstyles of Cinderella and Belle look really different and I don't like them but it's minor at best.   Now let's look at  the revamped Merida  or as some groups have mislabeled her "sexy" Merida.


















Again, perhaps it is because I'm a guy and not a parent but I don't see any that sexualized about the new Merida.  She looks fine and in many ways,  she looks mature.  Now, I've heard some people say that wearing a dress goes against her character.  That is up there with the complaints of human Rainbow Dash in EQG wearing a skirt going against her character as one of the dumbest things, I've heard.  You know what,  I want to to tell these people.


IT'S A FRICKIN' DRESS!!!!  Get over it! And why wouldn't she wear a dress,  it's a sign of maturity in some ways and every other princess in the line up wears a dress.















And also,  let's compare this two other princesses. Jasmine and Ariel.


















In their regular movie outfits,  both of these ladies are wearing outfits that are much more revealing then the revamped Merida.   Yet,  I barely remember any complaints about these two. Also from a business standpoint,  it makes sense to put Merida in a dress.  Call this wrong or shallow but young girls love the princesses and seeing one in a dress is more then likely to catch their attention. No?    Another unfair complaint that has been thrown at the revamped Merida is she sets an unhealthy body image for young girls. Really?   Y'know,  I've seen worse.   Oh how about these creatures of the night....
















Compared to these,  Merida doesn't look that bad.   Now here's the worst part of it.  Disney has sadly decided to phase out the revamped Merida.  I understand from a business standpoint with all of the complaints, they were getting, that they had no choice but I just wish, they would've stood their ground and tell the nay-sayers to back off and shut up.  But alas because they are a business and a family enterprise, they had no choice but to give in to thee ludicrous demands to get rid of the new Merida.  While I understand this had to be done, I just find this decision disappointing.   People seriously want to complain about her being sexualized.   People are looking for sexualiztion, where there isn't any.  As you'll also see in upcoming Trotting article,  a Yahoo author tried to claim that a Princess Celestia toy was selling sex to young girls.  Which frankly is even stupider then this. If that's possible, if people really want to complain about toy aimed at young girls selling sex.  Go after those ugly horrid abominations known as Bratz.   They're dressed  like they are going to a strip club.  To these people,  I just want to say back off and get a life.  Because quite frankly,  you are being unfair to the people who A. actually liked the revamped look of Merida or B. who saw no issue with her.  Sex is NOT everywhere.  Stop trying to project it into things, where it isn't!  Quite frankly, you guys are acting like jerks by forcing Disney to phase out the new Merida.  And you know what I see, when I look at the two Merida's.













Starting with the film Merida,  I see a young girl, who is capable of  fending for herself but does not know everything and has much learning left to do.  When I look at the new Merida,  I don't see sexy.  I see a young woman who carries herself with  grace and dignity.  And has the wisdom to lead her kingdom.    Not a character is trying to sell sex.


At the end of the day, I think people just decided to blow this whole thing up for no reason.  And just wanted to put sex into something that wasn't there!    To those people, I say Get A LIFE!   

2 comments:

  1. Merida can't wear a girly dress cos it steroetypes her as a girly girl when instead she has to be stereotyped as a tomboy who hates girly things with a passion. You can't go against this sterotype and have multiple aspects to the character now, can you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does seem to be the reaction, doesn't it.

      Delete