Take A Look at Disney

6/22/13

A Look at Disney World: Top 6 Head Scratching Disney World Decisions



Hello & welcome to the finale of A Look at Disney World.  Today,  I'm going to end this a little differently then planned.  You see I had thought about reviewing another special but then I realized,  if I love something, I need to be able to point the things that just make me wonder "Why?"  So to close out,  this event I'll be taking a look at what I call the Top 6 Head Scratching Disney World Decisions.  By the way, expect a lot of EPCOT on this list. Poor, poor EPCOT.  With that out of the way, let's begin.


6.  The Rainbow Brite Costumes


















Yeah,  I still don't get this one.   If you recall an earlier article, I did, I tore these costumes to shreds.   As stated in that article, EPCOT was originally meant to be character free and people didn't respond quite well to this.  So, the characters were eventually added. But in THESE?   Are they supposed to be a superhero team and I still want to know, why  Pluto  has that windmill thing on his head.  What does it do? Predict the weather.   I get that this was supposed to tie in with Future World but you seriously thought this is what, we'd be wearing in the future.  Well,  I'm glad that's not the case.    And thank goodness, these went away and were replaced by the much better  World Showcase costumes.   I still think Goofy is either a lost member of KISS or a Michael Jackson music video with what, he's wearing.


5.  Replacing Dreamfinder With Dr. Nigel Channing
















I'm not going to spend too much time on this one as I've dedicated an entire article to this one. If you read that article, you know that I feel that Dreamfinder is a better character and fits with what the ride was about. And there is a reason, he is one of the most popular park characters. Whereas with Dr. Channing, the reaction seems to be "Oh!"  Simply put,  Dreamfinder shouldn't have been replaced but he was taken out of the ride because Eisner didn't like Dreamfinder and Figment as he didn't feel they were Disney like.  Phooey.




4. Adding Zazu and Igao to Enchanted Tiki Room















I've made my disdain for this attraction in the past quite clear. I HATE New Management.   And why is that?  Disney, repeat after me.  Not every attraction at a Disney park needs a Disney character. Simple as that.   And having now seen both this abomination and what Tiki Room was meant to be.  I can easily say that Zazu and Iago don't work for Tiki Room.   It's supposed to be a simple and fun but Zazu and Igao.  Good characters on their own and I get The Odd Couple approach that you were going for but it just didn't work and not every show needs comedic characters. Actually,  I take that back  the much better  Not Under New Management had comedic moments with the birds making friendly jabs that were  oh,  I don't know.  Funny!      With these two birds,  they were forced in.  Moving on.



3.    The EPCOT Wand

















This one admittedly didn't start off so bad as it was meant to be a temporary thing and started off originally for the millennial celebration back in 2000.

















That's fine but it seemed to overstay it's welcome and it really didn't fit in with the theme of the park.  Because here we have Sorcerer Mickey holding a wand over Spaceship Earth.   That's more magic while EPCOT is about  about science and world cultures.  So, it doesn't really work and let's not forget that there was not a wand in The Sorcerer's Apprentice.   So, that's not accurate to that segment either.   It just all in all  felt out of place for this park.   And in  a way, this ties into my # 2.



2.  The Sorcerer's Hat at Disney's Hollywood Studios

















Oh, how I loathe this.   Yeah, not even my favorite park is immune from this list.  Disney's Hollywood Studios is the only park to have it's icon piece changed.  It's original icon piece was The Earful Tower




















I love The Earful Tower and it was different from other icon pieces as it was not in the center of the park but in the back.   I liked it because seeing a water tower gave me that movie studio feeling.   The hat was brought in around the same time as the EPCOT wand.  And I recall that there was a joke amongst the Disney fan community that  Sorcerer Mickey was running around the park stripping and we'd find his robe in the Magic Kingdom.  Anyways back on topic,  I'm not a fan of this thing because  it just feels out of place.  I won't say that it doesn't fit in studios but it's a stretch.  The best I could come up with  is  that it's supposed to represent the magic of cinema.  That was never confirmed. And don't even get me started on how this thing blocks The Great Movie Ride. Grr.    I just want this hat to go away.




1.  The Birthday Cake Castle For Walt Disney World's 25th Anniversary





















This one may have been temporary just for the 25th anniversary of Walt Disney World by seriously.  Why would you do that to Cinderella Castle.  Cinderella Castle in it's regular form is gorgeous but this.....


WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?


It's ugly, it's atrocious,  it's a disgrace to Cinderella Castle to hide it behind all of this.   What did you guys play a game of Candyland, and then say to yourself  "A birthday cake would look cool for the 25th Anniversary".   No, it doesn't.  This is what you wanted to do to your most beloved icon piece for yoru 25th anniversary but in '96.   Huh?  It's an eyesore.   It's an insult.   Cinderella Castle, I'm so sorry, they did this to you.    You deserve better then this and thankfully, you were returned to normal in later years because this thing is just UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


















Nice to use that again as it sums up my feelings on all of these.  Even after doing this list, I still love Walt Disney World as it always makes me happy, when I go there.  But it has had it's share of hiccups along the way as any great thing has,    This was a fun event and I hope that you guys enjoyed my look at Walt Disney World.   This is easily one of my favorite events that I've ever done.  And I figure this would be a fun way to close out, then pointing out the flaws of something I love.  Peace!

5 comments:

  1. No Disney's biggest headscratcher is fastpass. I LOATHE fastpass with a passion and will probably explain why on Manic Expression. But in short: It doubles the length of standby line, thus making it worse for everyone in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your the first person, I've ever heard complain about Fastpass.

      Delete
    2. You think that's bad, wait to you see what they've gotten lined up for the future. All I can say is that I can just see so much of it going wrong.

      But yes, I hate fastpass. Fastpass is great... when you have it. Thing is, the rest of your time is spent waiting for either a)the ability to get another fastpass or b)your fastpass to be useable. So all you doing is just waiting anyway, just in a different way.

      But there is direct causation between having fastpass and outrageously long wait times. Lets put it this way: You can get 100 people through in an hour. Now add 20 people into the mix. Those 100 people are going to have wait 12 minutes longer to accomdate those 20 people. Sure it's the same numbers at the end of the day (100 an hour), but you're annoying the same amount of people you're helping. So I always saw it not as a good thing, but a way of ruining it for everyone else.

      In other words I think Hobbes should be running the system.

      Delete
  2. Hi, i love your disney blog! And actually I have one question for you, if you don't mind. It's about Disney's old short called Goliath II. You described it here: http://alookatdisney.blogspot.com/2011/07/classic-shorts-showcase-golitah-ii.html

    I'm interested in this funny evil tiger Raja. Do you by any chance remember any more details about him and how does he end in this short?

    Thanks and keep up the good work!

    Patty

    ReplyDelete