Take A Look at Disney

10/13/13

Halloween: Haunted House





Darkfan21: Excellent, the last review and that DVD shall be mine.   


Moviefan12:  Not so fast Darkfan, we have to watch the short first.


Darkfan21:  Oh all right


*One Viewing Later*



Moviefan12 & Darkfan21:  WHAT WAS THAT?



Moviefan12:   Hello and welcome back to our Halloween celebration.  As you can clearly see, Darkfan21 is still with me today.   Today, we are taking a look at short from early in Mickey's career.   As it was released on December 2, 1929 and by that point, Mickey had only been around for a year. Hard to imagine, a time, when Mickey had only been around for one year.  Anyways, we are looking at Haunted House.  This is easily one  of the strangest Mickey shorts,  I've seen.   With that out of the way, let's begin.  


Moviefan12: Darkfan, you ready?  


Darkfan21:  Uh yeah,  I'll just be taking the DVD and be on my way.



Moviefan12:  Uh, no you won't.  



The Plot


Moviefan12: We start this short with Mickey needing to find refugee from the rain and we see him enter a house that at first glance almost looks like to be alive.  Darkfan, any thoughts?  Uh, Darkfan? Where did that evil idiot go?
















Darkfan21:  Excellent,  Moviefan has no idea that I ran off and took the DVD with me.  But  I need to make sure that Moviefan does not find me.  I'll just lock the door.  Let's put the DVD in and now to put on my Amulet,  I got from the Disney Store's website.


Moviefan12:  Did that idiot run off?  Seriously,  did  he forget our deal?  Ah well,  it might actually be easier to complete the review without him.  As I was saying,  Mickey goes into the house and takes refugee in there and this is where things get weird as Mickey discovers that the house, he has entered is inhabited by skeletons.   Some of whom  came home from shooting The Skeleton Dance.  Yeah,  some of the animation from that short is reused.    We will get to that in a bit  but first,  I need to find a certain villain.   I think,  I know where he went.  Luckily,  I have a stairway to Merlin's.

















Moviefan12:   I forgot how dizzying that could be.  Ah, there he is.


Darkfan21:  That Sedric is awesome.   I hope he gets more episodes


Moviefan12:  First off, it's Cedric and secondly,  I'm disappointed in you.  You couldn't control yourself for just one moment.  You aren't getting this back until next Halloween.  Now back to my blog.



















Darkfan21:  Wait,  I thought you said it'd be easier to do this review without moi.  

Moviefan12: Yes, yes I did but that doesn't give you any right to shrug off our deal.  Seeing as you haven't had much to say in this review.  I'll let you take over from where I left off.


Darkfan21:  Fine, fine!  The Mouse,  I mean ah screw it.   The Mouse does indeed as your savior mentions and take refugee in the house and finds that the house is inhabited by people, who went a little too far on the Jenny Craig diet.


Moviefan12:  I already went over that,  numskull.   We were up to the part with the Grim Reaper.  


Darkfan21:  Oh right,  Ghostface from Scream shows up and tells the Mouse to play and The Mouse admits that he doesn't know how to play and then we see a typical Taylor Swift after party.


Moviefan12:  First of all, we don't that hack on this blog.  And finally, this is Ghostface












And this is The GRIM REAPER!


Darkfan21:  Oh, you mean this guy!
















Moviefan12:  NO, NO, NO! Bad Darkfan, bad Darkfan!  Why did I even make this deal with you?  I think that I'll take it from here.  As my annoying associate mentioned,  Mickey is told to play the piano by the Grim Reaper of this short.















And this is where the animation from Skeleton Dance is reused .  And this is where,  the short gets weird.  Because once again as Suzy mentioned,  this is where the short stops and we see the skeletons dancing.


 



Darkfan21:  DON'T CALL ME SUZY!!!   Yes well as the nimrod mentioned,  the hacks at Disney were so lazy that they had to borrow animation from a previous short that came out that same year. Pathetic!  


Moviefan12: Dustie, isn't this annoying and as for your point.   I don't see the borrowing as lazy.  Could they have animated new skeletons for this short?  Yeah, they could've and c'mon,  borrowing animation is still going on today.  I don't complain about it because it is something that been done forever in the animation industry.  If the short is good,  so what if they borrowed animation from a previous outing!  I know that a lot of animation fans don't like borrowing but it's never bugged me.    And I'll call you anything I want.  After this rather odd and impromptu party, Mickey tries to escape but every time he does he just happens to come across skeletons in every corner of the house.


 




Mickey, terrified out of his wits finally does escape by going through a window. And the short ends.  Darkfan, what'd you think of this short?


Darkfan21:  It was not good but not bad either.   The party sequence made so sense and could've been taken out, if you would've lost nothing from the short overall.


Moviefan12:  I have to agree with the party sequence feeling a bit out of place as for this short.  Well,  I don't think it's as good as say The Mad Doctor but I think it is important to factor in that this is one of the earliest Mickey shorts and for what they were working with,  it's enjoyable.



 Character


Darkfan21:  Do you mind, if I go first?  


Moviefan12:  Uh sure, okay.


Mickey voiced by Walt Disney















Darkfan21:  The Mouse seemed kinda boring in this short as he has no character...


Moviefan12: Stop right there!  While,  I agree that Mickey didn't have much in the way of character in this short, that is almost secondary because the short isn't about his actions but rather his reactions.   How he reacts to the skeletons popping out or The Grim Reaper appearing and telling him to play.  And in a way, that is the nature of haunted houses, is it not?  To get a reaction out of people.  And here in this short,  Mickey's reactions are more important then his actions.


Darkfan21:  That's confusing but I think I do see, where you are coming from.  So, even though The Mouse didn't have much in the way of a personality in this short, that doesn't bother you.


Moviefan12:  Not as much as you referring to call him by name and no, not really because even though this may sound shallow, this is a short, where character comes second.  This short is more interested in the sight gags and reactions it can get out of Mickey by placing him in these situations.



Darkfan21:  Ah, okay!


Our Final Thoughts


Darkfan21:   As I said up top, this is not a bad short for The Mouse but I am disappointed that he was not in any real danger unlike the excellent short, I reviewed.


Moviefan12:  This short for what it is,  I liked it.   It's not the greatest Mickey short out there and if I were to rank my favorite of the shorts to watch on Halloween,  I too would probably put The Mad Doctor at # ! followed closely by Lonesome Ghosts.  Darkfan, keep the DVD.


Darkfan21:  Yay, and oh yes,  I have this note here that I mentioned that tells you how to defeat Anti. 


Moviefan12:  I told you before to keep it, I don't want it.  Anyways, folks that ends this trilogy of reviews and this headache is now over.  Join me tomorrow as I take a look at...

The Monster Frankenpooh






No comments:

Post a Comment