Take A Look at Disney

11/14/13

Music Fridays # 111: The Muppets Pt. 1 (2011) (with Infamous Jak)






Moviefan12:  Hello & welcome back to Music Fridays.  And today, is a special Music Fridays as today and next week, will be a Muppets Music Fridays celebration as I review the soundtrack to the 2011 film that brought the Muppets back to the big screen.  But I will not be alone as joining is Master Muppet fan of Manic,  Infamous Jak.  With that out of the way, let's begin.  



The Muppet Show Theme







Moviefan12:  This song like the Mickey Mouse Club Alma Matter can cause waves of nostalgia to flourish over me, even though I did not grow up with either program and to me, it makes the most sense to open with this song as I feel that  it is letting long time Muppet fans know, that their beloved Muppets haven't changed a bit. 



Jak:  What a perfect way to start the album off. I always felt the original Muppet theme was one of the best theme songs for a reason. It’s catchy and easy to sing along with. What more could you ask for.





Moviefan12:  How can you not smile at this number?  It's just so endearing and Walter and Gary are  great characters and this song is just so cute.  It's not my favorite number in the film as I prefer songs like our next one, when Muppets have their quiet moments but this song is what Muppets do best, big showstopping numbers that just put you in a fantastic mood and get you excited about the ride, you are going on with these characters.



Jak:  It’s hard to not to smile when listening to this track. It’s just such a fun song that puts you into a good mood. Though I do have one complaint, and that is that the song screeches to a halt when Amy Adams’ part comes up. It’s one of those things that works well enough in the film, but when you’re just listening to the soundtrack, the change is too jarring and takes you out of the song.





Moviefan12:   I'll admit I shed a tear at this number as it's just so sad because as kid, you could never picture these wonderful friends going their separate ways.   It almost feels like an epilogue to Saying Goodbye from The Muppets Take Manhattan (Best Muppet song and Greatest Muppet film Ever!) , if the gang didn't get back together and that is just a really saddening thought.  Because The Muppets are supposed to stick it through to the end.



Jak:    If you’re like me, this song was the moment when you knew that you were in for a great movie. The emotion in this song really shows through and takes the scene to the next level.





Moviefan12:  Yeah,  I'm not a big fan of this one.  My issue here is that they decided to take perhaps the most iconic Muppet song of all time and cheapen it with those silly puns.  Rainbow Connection is a song that should NOT be touched or altered in any fashion because it is such a good song and I know this was deliberate but I wish, they had left this out and also, it's really not that funny.  




Jak:  The Moopets were a subplot that I felt didn't add much to the overall movie. As for this version of the Rainbow Connection. Eh, it works well enough in the sense that it sounds like a reworking of a song like you would find on a TV ad, which is what it was suppose to sound like. But this isn't one of the tracks I listen too very often.




Moviefan12:  I HATE this song,  it's just so annoying.  Now, don't get me wrong, it makes sense in context of the film and using Piggy and Mary to show their feeling about the men or frogs in their lives made sense but this is song is so boring.  




Jak: This is probably my least favorite track on the album. It’s just a little too short to leave an impact in my mind. Maybe if it had another verse it would have worked better, but as it is the song isn't very memorable.





Moviefan12:  Who thought having Chris Cooper rapping was a good idea?  Seriously because, this song is worse then the last song.  This is just so STUPID and not in the laugh at it kind of stupid, it's more of a Facepalm stupid.













Uh,  no.  I feel that  I should  use something more fitting for the situation.  Here we go.





That also applies to them cutting out the part about Tex Richman's tenth birthday party. WHY would you do that?   Keeping that scene in the film would've been fine.



Jak:   I think either my 2nd or 3rd blog was a review of this movie. In it I remember noting that the films villain felt like he had a scene cut that gave us more of his back story on why he hated the Muppets. Turns out I was completely right. In the movie this song was cut down to only one verse, which is a shame because while not a favorite of mine, the song does have a few really good lines that I get a chuckle out of.









Moviefan12:  I touched on this song during my Oscar retrospective and this song pulls off a hard feat.   It's both funny and sentimental at the same time.  It's funny because you are laughing at what is happening on screen and the lyrics are pretty funny but it's a great way of dealing with identity crisis and discovering who you truly are because these two brothers were trying to find their place in life and they learn what they are.  And also Jim Parsons as Human Walter had me laughing like crazy and I'll take that over Sheldon Cooper any day of the week.  






Jak: This! Is! Brilliant! I’ll fight the urge to make any Linkara references and just say that I love the whole song. Love the concept and feel that it’s hilariously executed. Easily the funniest song on the whole album.



Moviefan12:  I'll make the Linkara reference, then.  




Well,  this seems to be as good place as any to close out for now.  Join Jak and myself next week as we conclude our look at this very Muppety soundtrack.  








No comments:

Post a Comment