Take A Look at Disney

2/22/14

Mickey Mouse (2013) Mondays: An Introduction






Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney.  Last year, Mickey Mouse was brought back to TV with a series of new shorts simply titled Mickey Mouse.  These debuted online in 2012 before airing on TV with the short, Croissant de Triommphe.  Which I reviewed and liked and over time,  more shorts would come out and over time,  my enjoyment of them would lessen.

I don't know what happened but it was around the time of the short, Gasp!, that I gave up on the series and haven't really been following them since and I've noticed that with Mickey fans, there is a huge split down on the middle on these shorts, you either love them or hate them.












 I find myself in such an odd position with Mickey being my all time favorite Disney character, I want to like these shorts but I've only found a handful of them,enjoyable. Let make one thing clear, I don't dislike the new VA, they got for Mickey.  


Chris Diamantopoulos does a serviceable job as the most iconic cartoon mouse and I've enjoyed what I've heard of his vocal performance. Though, even I know why they chose not to use Brett Iwan to voice Mickey, in these new shorts, as they are saving him for  big gigs.  I do find that a bit baffling, especially considering that Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is entering it's final season.  At least, they got Tony Anselmo, Bill Farmer,  Jim Cummings, Russi Taylor, Tress MacNeille to voice their respective characters.

















And I don't hate the new look/design but something about these shorts after a while just turned me off.  I've decided to go in and give these shorts a fair chance and to look at all the new Mickey shorts that have come out since I stopped watching. Now I want to be as fair as possible to these new Mickey Mouse shorts. That is why I'm going to refrain from comparing these new shorts to any older incarnations of the characters and just take them on their own.  In other words, I'll try and refrain from  bringing up this...














And this

















And this
















And instead, just focus on this..














So, join me next Monday as we properly kick things off with the short that made me give up Mickey Mouse (2013) as I take a look at...

Gasp!


2 comments:

  1. I think the biggest problem with them (the one that I thought was the worse out of the few I've seen is "New York Weenie") is that more often than not it feels like it's a parody of Mickey Mouse rather then being about Mickey Mouse. Some of them are good... some of them seem more like something someone would make to poke fun at the whole thing.

    Then again I've only seen the relatively few that got put online internationally, but even then some of them are just too much like a parody to be appreciated properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust Me, from what little I've read, New York Weenie is one of the tamer ones and the whole parody thing is an apt judgement. I think, even the animation in how crude it is, also ties into that. Some of these shorts seem like they have no respect for Mickey. Now, I know what I said about taking them on their own and I'll try that but it's going to be hard considering how long, these characters have been around.

      Delete