Take A Look at Disney

5/28/14

Music Fridays # 131: Boy Meets World









Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney and to Music Fridays.  Ever since the announcement of  Girl Meets World,  I've been feeling a bit nostalgic for Boy Meets World and it feels like I've been inundated with re-runs everywhere from  Disney Channel to Mtv 2.   I mean,  the Disney Channel Facebook page even put a Cory and Topanga timeline going from them first meeting to their wedding to giving birth to both of their kids.  Man, I feel old, saying that. However,  I've had my say on Girl Meets World and I'm still  anxiously awaiting the show,  I've mostly heard positive feedback from people who got see the pilot episode early on the Watch Disney Channel App,  saying it feels like Boy Meets World but does on occasion fall into  Disney Channel traps but for the most part,  they avoid those and there is one rumor going around, that Feeny is dead.  I hope that's not true.   However,  I'm not here to talk about the sequel series but rather the theme music of Boy Meets World.   Boy Meets World is one of the few shows that I recall growing up, that had multiple theme songs and it's interesting but as you listen to the theme songs, they seem to reflect where characters are at the current stage in the seasons, they go with.  Personally,  my favorite is  the final theme song but we will get to that and for those wondering, I am not cheating here with this entry as Boy Meets World was  a Disney owned show and with that out of the way, let's begin.


Season 1


The season  1 theme has this rather youthful upbeat tone that is playful and fun and it sounds a little silly buy y'know what, that works for where they were in season 1. Cory was a silly kid and  I feel like the music here in the season 1 intro reflects that perfectly. It's  fun, exciting and it fits the characters.


Season 3


I almost  forgot about season 3 and this one seems to have more of Jazz feeling to it and I don't know, it's not bad but it kinda seems outta place for Boy Meets World.   I guess I'm saying without the visuals,  I couldn't tell you that this was from Boy Meets World,  the season 1 intro  does have that same problem but  not to the extent that this one does.


Season 4

Again,  we  get the theme of growing up here as while the first theme song, was playful and childlike,  this one has more of a teenager feel to it and that makes sense considering where the characters were at this point in the show and this is probably my second favorite theme song from Boy Meets World as it just feels you with a good feeling and makes you want to party, at least it does that to me. My  only complaint would be is that it's too short.


Seasons 5, 6, & 7 


Ah, this is more like it.  This is the theme song,  I will always associate with Boy Meets World These are the best seasons of Boy Meets World and they rightly so, got the best theme song. It doesn't overstay it's welcome,  gets the point across and has a very mature feeling to it, that again fits with where the characters are at this point in the show and it is just a catchy ear worm, that'll get stuck in your head, after you hear it.



Well, there you have it, all of the themes to Boy Meets World.  Let's say we take a look at the Girl Meets World theme song,  Take on The World.



Take On The World

Okay, first off Topanga  looks a lot like my big sister at one point in this intro. Eerie.  As for this number,   it's  very Pop and well, that works and while it does  fall into a Disney Channel Cliche of having the lead actress sing the theme,  it's not bad but it doesn't leave enough of an impression on me to make an informed opinion on it.  Maybe I need to listen to the full song, as Disney did released the whole song separately along with a Summer Remix, that I'm hesitant to listen to.


Take On The World (Full Song)


I will say this for Rowan Blanchard, the young lady playing Riley.  She is not a bad singer and really puts her all into this number here but  I can't be the only one that find the chorus repeating "Take on the world" to be really annoying and that seems  to be all this version does.  I can see why they trimmed it for the show because well,  there is no reason for the theme song to be this long.  At least, this isn't as bad the Extended Theme to MLP that changed all the lyrics.  That's a rant for another day, again I like this number and while I do think this version is a little long,  it's really enjoyable.  Now, we have one last version, I have to question, it's existence.


Take On The World (Summer Remix)


Disney went and released what they are calling a Summer Remix edition of  Take On The World and yeah...  NO!  This was a bad idea, this is not good.  You took a song that was semi-decent,  I'm not going to say great and did this to it.  WHY?   This is NOT good.


There, you have it.  My look at the various theme songs of Boy Meets World and  man, the waiting for the show is killing me as I don't have that app and I want to see it on TV and I promise,there will be a review of it and also, let me guys know if you'd like to see to do some Boy Meets World reviews.  I 'm thinking of maybe reviewing the Scream parody episode they did for Halloween.  Let me know in the comments. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment