Take A Look at Disney

4/30/15

A Look at Disney Opens The Toy Box: Top 6 Saddest Toy Story Moments





Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney. And it's the time of year, where for one whole month, we have one entire theme. And this year, we are going back to childhood. Back to a simpler time. Come with me as all month, we celebrate all things Toy Story.  Though today, you might want to grab a box of tissues as we count down the Top 6 Saddest Toy Story Moments from the trilogy.  With that out of the way, let's begin


6. Andy's Toys Not Willing To help Woody





Now, this may seem like a small moment but it is one that I think is key.  While one can not overlook Woody's jealously, one must also take into account that Andy's other toys is our the instigators in making Woody feel this way, when Buzz first arrives and this comes to a blow, when you see them not willing to help Woody escape. Things really come to a blow in the scene, when Woody tosses Christmas lights to Andy's toys from Sid's room to escape and the other toys, namely Potato Head let them drop.  It is understandable that they would still be mad at Woody but we as the audience have seen the growth that he has gone through and we want him to escape but we know that won't happen.  I find myself looking at this scene from two perspectives, one understanding of why the other toys are still mad at Woody but from Woody's perspective, this scene is a tad heartbreaking because your friends that you've known for years have decided that you are now the enemy because of one mistake.


5.   Woody Having His Boot Painted Over


    


Again, another small moment but this one scene is so effective because it feels as though Woody is losing such a vital part of him.  Andy is more  than just his owner. Andy is important to him and it feels like with just one brush, Andy is gone from Woody's life.  It's a small moment but I remember watching this scene as a kid, I was heartbroken because I had Buzz And Woody dolls that my mom and dad got me for Christmas, the year the first movie came out and I wrote my name on them and I would've been heartbroken if anyone painted over my my Woody's boot.


Not Mine but these were the toys I had.



So yeah, this scene hit home and took me back to my childhood.   And I think that's what made me so sad here.       



4. I Will Go Sailing No More







This  moment  is so heartbreaking because even though Buzz had his whole world collapse and he  received the harshest  wake up call in learning that he is not who he thought he was.   He has a hard time accepting this truth as we see and it doesn't come to him until his unsuccessful attempt at flying and his arm falls off.  You just see here in Buzz that he feels as though there is nothing left to live for. Can a toy commit suicide?   Think about it here, while it is never directly stated that is what is going on, we know from the Mrs. Nesbitt scenes that Buzz has all but given up on life and it is almost as though in those scenes,  he is in a drunk stupor washing away his woes.




Buzz has lost his way and doesn't know which direction, his life will go now because of the crude wake up call that he needed but as we see it wasn't easy to handle.  


3.  One Last Playtime




I've said some things about the third installment in the past but I've softened on it over time as you will see with my # 1 pick but I had to include this moment because it's bittersweet.   Because we knew that Andy had to say goodbye to the toys but kids like me that grew up with this franchise were dreading this moment because it was like we were saying goodbye.  I still get misty-eyed thinking about this moment because even though we knew it was time to say goodbye, we didn't want to. But what a way, to go out.   Just one last playtime as they are given a new owner and that has done a good job of taking care of the toys.   



2. When She Loved Me 








I'm sure you were waiting for this moment to show up as it's one of the most famous moments from this trilogy. And it's not hard to see why, this song made your heartbreak for a toy cowgirl.  And whenever I listen to it, I want to give my stuffed Mickey, the biggest hug and let him know that I'll never do to him, what Emily did to Jessie.  Because that is just cruel.  I think it helps that Sarah McLachlan sang this number because that woman can make a man cry about anything with her voice.  And this proves that to be true because here I was bawling my eyes out for Jessie and feeling so sorry for her.   You just want to give her a big old hug after this number.






1. The Incinerator 






After everything the toys have been through, this looks to be their end. And they know that there is nothing that they can do.  So, they just hold onto each other and embrace the love they have from this family because they think this is their dying day.  Not a word needed to be spoken, yo could feel the fear  and acceptance in them as they reached out for one another's hands.  If they were to go out, they would go out together.  I remember seeing this with my mom and I grabbed for her hand because I was scared that the toys were actually going to die.  Granted, we know that didn't happen and thank goodness but at the time, I didn't know that. This scene speaks to how much these characters  care about each other.  They're a family and they would rather go down together than turn on on of their own. (The first film withstanding)  This scene is just so intense in that regard because again, if you grew up with these characters, you feared for them and were worried that they were going to die.  This is an example of why the third movie was for the audience that grew up watching Toy Story and Toy Story 2. They knew, we loved these characters and that we would be scared, if anything bad happened to them and this is a prime example of that.




There you have it, my Top 6 Saddest Toy Story Moments.  What are some sad moments from the trilogy that I missed? Let me know in the comments. And come back tomorrow as we leave the toy box open and explore the nastiness that is....


Sid Phillips











No comments:

Post a Comment