Take A Look at Disney

7/17/17

Another Mouseka-View: An Introduction




Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney.  Three years ago, I embarked on what was perhaps my angriest retrospective as I reviewed the 2013 Mickey Mouse shorts.  And I wasn't the biggest fan of most of those shorts but by the end of it,  I came feeling more mixed than outright hatred.   As I observed in my final thoughts on the first season.  

The question, I keep asking myself is "Do I still hate these shorts?" And the answer is for the most part is no, not as much as when I started. Are these shorts as bad as I thought? Well, they are a mixed bag. You get some really good ones like Bad Ear Day but then you also have trite like Dog Show and Gasp! And The Adorable Couple didn't help much either but I don't know, maybe these just aren't meant for me.


The big thing that that I got out of these shorts is that they felt  more like Spongebob shorts.  Something that Pretty Boy mentioned in the comments section for my review of the horrid Gasp!.

Yeah this is literally point for point the sort of thing you'd expect in an episode of Spongebob. You could swap out Mickey for Spongebob, the cat for some random sea creature and the backgrounds to that of the show... and there would literally be no differences whatsoever.

I originally said that I would never review the second season of these shorts because they left such a sour taste in my mouth and I would have held steadfast to that claim, if it were not for the announcement of a Mickey Mouse ride based on these shorts replacing The Great Movie Ride at Hollywood Studios.  Hollywood Studios is my favorite Disney Park and The Great Movie Ride was one of my favorite rides. I loved seeing those moments of cinema come to life.  But I get replacing that with a property that Disney owns.  And so many fans (myself included) have wanted a Mickey ride for ages.  And so, I am giving seasons 2 & 3 of these shorts a chance because I want to give that ride a chance.










I am not admittedly a fan of the designs of the characters in these shorts but for the looks that I'm more familiar with, I still have Mickey's PhilharMagic.

















And while I do like this attraction,  it is a Donald Duck attraction, even if it has Mickey's name in the title.  I have seen a lot of people say that these shorts gave Mickey, a personality back instead of keeping him as a corporate icon.  And that is a good thing.  And I'm happy people enjoy the shorts for that reason but after my experience with the first season, I am going into trepidation regarding these shorts and moreso the ride, that is coming to Hollywood Studios.  When we learn more about the ride,  I will do a Can We Talk about on the ride but seeing as the ride is based on these shorts,  I feel that it is only fair to give these shorts a second chance.  Now,  I will be doubling up and reviewing two shorts per blog.  I figure that is the best way to go about doing this.  So, join me next time as we look at the first two shorts of season two. As we look at Cable Car Chaos & Fire Escape.



No comments:

Post a Comment