Take A Look at Disney

6/1/18

A Look at Disney Swims with Mermaids: Disney Princess (Free Comic Book Day)




Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney and we continue our swim through mermaid merchandise from Disney as we look at a comic that was put out as a part of Free Comic Book Day 2018 and it was something that I had to get my hands on as I am both a fan of the character featured in this comic and one of the writers that contributed to this comic, Amy Mebberson.   I first came across Mebberson's work thanks to her excellent webcomic,  Pocket Princesses.   And if you haven't checked it out, you really should. 


Oh,  and this comic comes from Joe Books LTD.  Which appear to be a smaller publisher that seems to specialize in the licenses for Disney that other companies such as IDW haven't scooped up. 




Cover























This is great cover as it perfectly captures Ariel's inquisitive nature as she is exploring these treasures that she has come across.    Oh, and hi Lumiere cameo.  I have no real place to put this but I do have one complaint to bring up regarding this comic but there is one complaint that I have, you have to turn the comic on it's to read it.  Not just one page but the whole comic. 


















This is something that bugged me a little bit.  Now, this isn't my first time reading a Disney Princess comic as I bought the Rapunzel issue out of curiosity on Comixology last year.  But since I was reading that digitally, this wasn't a major concern.





As for the content in this book, that's a bit harder to talk about as the Disney Princess comics are anthology books that collect stories that are akin to joke strips and not everyone will land for each person.  There are ones about Ariel trying out instruments or meeting an ambassador that gets clammed up because he's a clam.   The art is consistent and adorable for each strip. 

















This is but one example of how good the art can be for this book.  Really, you gotta decide whether or not, something like this is for you or not.   I will say that I do appreciate that the different comics do allow for Ariel's large supporting cast a chance to shine. However, this does bring me to the most pedantic complaint that someone could have. 


I like that they include strips that show moments with Ariel after she got to be with Eric, however sandwiching them between strips where she is still a mermaid seems like a weird flow choice.  I understand that this is not unique to this comic as the Rapunzel issue sandwich short brunette haired Rapunzel strips in between those that featured long blonde hair Rapunzel.  Doing something such as this felt a bit jarring and I thought it would have made more sense to leave the comics with human Ariel towards the end but again,  it's a minor complaint. 




My Final Thoughts


It's pretty clear that this comic is intended for a younger audience and people that enjoy a breezy read.   It's an enjoyable book if you want something light.    I'm glad to have it as I love Ariel and it also serves as a great reminder of the first year that I got to take part in Free Comic Book Day.  Join me tomorrow as we dive into a YA Novel that puts the Sea Witch at the forefront as we look at...


Poor Unfortunate Soul







No comments:

Post a Comment