Take A Look at Disney

11/25/12

Fairy Godmother Vs. Mama Odie





Hello and welcome back to Vs. Today, for the first time on Vs., I'm not looking at the main characters or villains but rather two supporting characters that played a big role in their respective films that are quite similar to one another. From Cinderella, Fairy Godmother and from The Princess and The Frog, Mama Odie.   Now here are the categories that I'll be using for this Vs, Personality (1),  Assistance to the Main Characters (2),  Magic (3),   Song  (4),   The Film Factor (Final Round)


Personality (Round 1)


Fairy Godmother 

The best way to describe Fairy Godmother is that she is very sweet and the mother that Cinderella needed. She is very protective of Cindy as well and I like that as she is a very nice motherly figure that came in at the right time for Cinderella. 


Mama Odie

Mama Odie, the best way to describe her is that she is loud and a lot of fun. I also felt in her time with the characters that she could steal the scene but as much as I liked Mama Odie, I didn't get the same warm feeling I get from Fairy Godmother with her, so for that reason, I have to give this round to...


Fairy Godmother





Assistance To The Main Characters  (Round 2)



Fairy Godmother


Here we have a unique case because Fairy Godmother came to Cinderella in her time of need as godparents do.   As seen in her beautiful song, she helped Cinderella get ready for the ball but more then that I also think she helped Cinderella see more in herself besides just giving her another dress to wear.   She went to great lengths to help out Cinderella with everything but of course with the magic, there was a limitation on it because we all remember when the clock strikes 12 ordeal.



Mama Odie


Now with Mama Odie, it's a bit different because whereas Fairy Godmother came to Cinderella,  Tiana, Naveen and Louis went out to find her and she seemed more vague in her advice to our main characters.  I mean, she did help them yes but unlike Fairy Godmother, she made them work to get the curse broken instead of conjuring up a spell and Mama Odie as stated tries to tell our character that need to work harder to achieve their dreams.  Going back to this film's message of, "You can have a dream but you've got to work for it".  For that reason, I have to give this round to...


Mama Odie







Magic (Round 3)


Fairy Godmother


I have to say that I like with Fairy Godmother, it's her wand that gives her the magic. It just makes things so simple sometimes the simpler, the better.  I mean, there's no reason to go into great detail about where she got the wand, it's just a magic wand and that's all we need to know.


Mama Odie


With Mama Odie, we see that she practices good voodoo magic as a polar opposite to The Shadow Man.   Again, it isn't explained that much or over complicated, we see that her gumbo pot acts as a cauldron. Nice touch. Again, I really and truly like this but I think Fairy Godmother has the better magic here. Therefore, I have to give this round to...

Fairy Godmother


















Song (Round 4)



Oh, boy here comes the hard part.

Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo






There's no denying that this song is a lot of fun and that's the big reason, it's a classic and I do like that we get to see Fairy Godmother's magic in action here.  I can't deny that I like this song as it is really good.  Plus the scene of Cindy getting her dress is one of the most iconic Disney moments ever.



Dig A Little Deeper








Okay, everything I said about Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo is true but... I think this song is better.  Look I know that song is a classic and it's timeless for a reason. However I feel that this song conveys what Mama Odie is trying to teach to our characters better and as I said in Round 2, I feel she does a better job of helping the main characters and I think this is part of the reason because as she what you want is not always what you need.  While Fairy Godmother has a very fun, Mama Odie's song in my opinion has a stronger theme to it and for that, I have to give this round to...


Mama Odie
















The Film Factor (The Final Round)



Here we are, The Final Round with both ladies tied up respectively With that out of the way, let's see who wins.


Fairy Godmother


Fairy Godmother's role in her film is very quiet and subdued but that works for the character. She doesn't need to be a big presence.   That would take away from who she is.


Mama Odie


Mama Odie on the other hand is big and loud.  I do like that and as I said I do like her song her more but I think that Fairy Godmother does better here and for that reason, I have to give her the win.



Fairy Godmother

















The End Result!


With a score of  3 - 2, Fairy Godmother took away the win. Congrats to Fairy Godmother.  Honestly, I  wasn't sure who was going to win and that is what makes these articles so much fun. Tell me in the comments, who do you think should've won? Peace!

3 comments:

  1. I think the admin of this web page is truly working hard in favor
    of his website, for the reason that here every material is quality based
    data.
    Feel free to surf my web page ... panic attack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to disagree, but the Fairy Godmother has always struck me as a boring character . . . in a boring movie.

    ReplyDelete