Take A Look at Disney

4/7/11

Toy Story 2

All right guys, time for the next review. Today, I will be taking a look at what I consider the best Pixar movie.


Toy Story 2


Now I know a lot of people consider the first Toy Story movie to be the best of the bunch. Well, I can't deny its place in animation history as being the first fully computer generated film. I just feel this one had a better story.  I'll explain when I get to the plot. Also since this is a sequel film, I will be breaking down the characters into returning characters and new characters. I will still cover the villains and the music the same way as before.



The Plot

The basic plot of this film is that Woody has been kidnapped by a greedy Toy Store owner and it is up to the rest of Andy's toys to save him. Although when Woody meets the toys at his destination, he is not sure that he wants to leave as he grows fond of his new friends and wants to protect them. Woody must make the ultimate decision. Does he want to stay and help his new friends or does he return to Andy, the boy who has loved him for so many years.



Characters


As I stated, I'll be breaking this down to cover the returning characters and the new characters. However since I already talked about most of the Toy Story 1 gang in my Top 6 Toy Story Characters That Aren't Buzz or Woody, I'll just focus on the cowboy and space ranger for returning characters.


Returning Characters


Woody voiced by Tom Hanks


The focus of this film definitely shifted to Woody and the old west.  I think John Lasster did that on purpose as the first film focused primarily on Buzz and space age toys. I actually like the fact that they did that  as it gives the first two films a nice balance and also by doing that we learn more about Woody. For instance, we learn that Woody is actually based off a  character from an Old West themed TV show named Woody's Roundup.   I believe that Woody has a bigger personal conflict thi time around. He has decision to make does he go to the Toy Museum in Japan with Stinky Pete, Jesse and Bullseye as that is the only the museum will take them or does he return with Buzz and the other toys back to Andy's house. His heart is torn between what to do. Woody wants to do the right thing but he is conflicted as to which choice is the right choice.


Buzz Lightyear voiced by Tim Allen


Buzz in this film comes across much competently and now he knows he is just a toy.  However that doesn't stop him from taking risks such as leading the toys across a bust street with only street cones to protect them.  When Woody is kidnapped, Buzz decides that he must save Woody after how Woody saved him from Sid in the first film.  So Buzz rounds the other toys and they  head out to find exactly where The Chicken Man (Al) has actually taken Woody.  Buzz stops at nothing to save his friend.

Okay, that covers the two returning characters I wanted to talk about. Now time to move on to New Characters.


New Characters

Jessie voiced by Joan Cusack




Jessie is a character that is best described as strong, fierce and independent but she does one flaw. Jessie has a hard time trusutng kids. Due in part to  her old owner Emily just left her on the street.  She is also scared of dark places as shown when she is scared to back into the box that was housing her and Bullseye. Other than those two things, she is a very strong and adventurous character.



Bullyseye voiced by Frank Welker


 Bullseye is one of the few Toys in the film who acts more like an animal than anything else. He has some dog like qualities.  I have always thought he was one of the cutest and funniest Toy Story characters. Really, not much else one can say about Bullseye except that he is loyal and will stay by your side no matter what.



The Music
Time to focus on one of my favorite parts of these reviews, the music. Today, I'll be taking a look at three songs. The first one I feels helps set up the old west vibe while the other two have to deal with two of our characters.
Woody's Roundup
This song right that is sung by The Riders in The Sky is actually the theme song for the TV show Woody's Roundup. Now I can't recall if it was used in the movie or not but it certainly sets up the premise of you are going to be going on old west adventures. I remember listening to this song on one of my Toy Story CDs, ironically enough  titled Woody's Roundup. That CD had alot of great cowboy themed music. Sadly, I no longer have that CD but luckily I still have my Toy Story 2 CD.
When She Loved Me
This song right here is part of the reason why I say Toy Story 2 is the superior Toy Story film. Yes, the first film had a song that expressed the emotion of one of the toys. I'm referring I Will Go Sailing No More, in Case you were wondering. While that song is good, this song just feels much more personal as in this song the audience learns about Jessie and why she is the way she is. She loved Emily but Emily grew out of love with her and put a brick on her shoulder and she did not want to love again because she did not want to be hurt by another owner.


You've Got a Friend in Me (Woody's Roundup Version)



All three Toy Story films include a variation of this classic song. The original one sung by Randy Newman is great. Personally, I can't stand the Toy Story 3 version that has the Buzz and Jessie dance number because it doesn't feel like the same song but I digress.  The Woody's Roundup version while the shortest may have to be one of the most poignant because it helps Woody realize  he doesn't belong in a glass case in some museum but with Andy.  I think the song is best used here out of all three films. I may be mistaken but I believe Tom Hanks actually sings this version and if that is the case, that's pretty cool.



The Villains
Al voiced by Wayne Knight
Al is an obsessive toy collector who first comes across Woody at a yard sale at Andy's house. He tries to buy Woody but no sale. Instead he steals Woody.  It is soon made clear that Al loves Woody's Roundup as he has every knick knack made for the show.  He gets Woody so that he can sell Woody, and the rest of the gang to a toy museum.  This guy is a fanatic.  I mean some people might say I'm the same way about Disney but I would never stoop so low as to steal a child's toy.  However if some one tried to take my oldest Mickey Mouse doll, they wouldn't like me.
Stinky Pete voiced by Kelsey Grammar
Stink Pete's character is one that is very misleading. In the beginning,  he comes across as a kind old soul who is very wise. Willing to protect Bullseye and Jessie but when Andy's toys show up, his true colors are finally revealed.  It is shown that he hates kids and he is willing to make sure nothing stops him from making it to the toy museum. This was a great twist in my opinion, when I first saw this film I never thought he would end  being a villain but boy did he put up a fight.
My Final Thoughts
Well, I have already said that I think this is the best PIXAR film and I hope this review explains my reasoning. Again pat of the reason I think this is the best Toy story film has to  with the emotion. For me this one has the right balance of humor and emotion.  There's not much else I can say other than I love this film. 
Okay join me next time as  I review a film that inspired my Halloween costume, the same year it came out.




No comments:

Post a Comment