Take A Look at Disney

6/1/11

Can We Talk about Doing Top # Countdowns

Hey guys, I apologize for saying that I was not going to do anymore non-Disney Can We Talk about's.  At that time, I just felt uneasy doing two series and I was afraid that I might enter what I call the Jerk Zone with doing anymore of these. But after seeing, the response to this series, I have decided to continue it. Again, I apologize for misleading you.


With that out of the way, today I'll be focusing on things you can do to improve your Top countdown if you choose to do one. Again, these are just some pointers that I have learned over time. 

Explain

If you ever read any of my Top 6's, you know that I explain why I place the things in the order that  I do.  This helps to backup you numbering of these items and it lets you explain why you have placed it at the number in case someone disagrees with you.  Imagine my Top 6 Favorite Disney Cahracters List if I did like this.

6. Max Goof
5. Tigger
4. Pumbaa
3. The Genie
2. Timothy The Mouse
1. Mickey Mouse

That's just a list. It doesn't tell you why you place these things in this order and without explaining that makes it harder to argue why you numbered those things the way you did.   It's also makes the countdown more enjoyable to read as it isn't just some list that any person could pin up as these are  your opinions.


Pick A Number Your Comfortable With

Now if you have noticed with my countdowns, I  stay in the single digits and stick with 6. As that is A. now a staple of A Look at Disney and B. I'm comfortable with single digits. I'll probably never do a double digit countdown.  Now I'm not saying don't do a double digit countdown. You can but if you choose a really big number such as 30, 40  or 50. I say break it down into multiple blogs. There is nothing wrong with doing that. Because it takes some of the stress off of you by breaking your countdown that way. Also trying to do a countdown that big could lead to the first problem where you don't explain anything and also a countdown that big could be overwhelming to anyone who reads it.


Don't Be Afriad To Include Auido/Visuals

Now this one is not a hit on people who choose not to do this but unless you think you can explain the numbering of each item really well without including either a video or a picture. This would be your best bet as it once again backs up your point and it gives the audience something more to look at. Now I'll give you two examples from two  Top 6's, I have planned. Both of which have already been posted on my site.

From my Top 6 Live Action Disney Films 

6. Sky High



Underneath here, I'll explaing why I like this film.


From my Top 6 Darkwing Duck Villians.


6. The King




Same thing underneath this picture, I'll say why I placed him at #  6.  


There you go, these are just some basic ways to improve a Top # Countdown if you choose to do one. I hope this helped.  Now I want to continue this series but I want to go back to what the first one was about. How to be a better reader such as giving advice. Let me know if you know if you can think of anything to be a better reader or audience member.


Your Top 6 Final Vote

Speaking of countdowns as you know yesterday was the final vote for the Your Top 6. However we have 5 songs locked in and I already have a list of them saved but I not going to reveal the order. But we have two songs that are tied for the final spot with two votes each. As I said it only takes 3 votes for a song to get locked in. While those votes still count, I'm going to put those songs up again today and just like last time the first song to gets three votes will be locked in. Here are your choices.

Endless Night



or

I'm Still Here (Jim's Theme)




There you go and all we need is one of these songs to get three votes in order to get locked in.

No comments:

Post a Comment