Take A Look at Disney

6/8/11

Your Top 6 Songs

We've made it! We've finally made it! Today's the day. It's Your Top 6 Songs That Have Been Featured On A Look at Disney.  You guys voted, I took a look at your votes and I looked at  which songs got the loudest votes and from there I have numbered them accordingly.  Are you excited? I am! Let's begin. 

Before  I start, let me tell you how tis going to work. Every single song on this list was voted for by the readers and then I looked at the votes and looked at some of the reasons why they were voted for. From that, is how I came up with the numbering for each song.  Now, I'll include the video of said song, a link for the post where this song first appeared. Some words from you guys, the readers said about these songs and what I said about these songs with their first appearance on A Look at Disney.


An Honorable Mention

I'm Still Here (Jim's Theme) -  Request Month: Treasure Planet



Alright, I'll be honest it was tie between this and Endless Night for the final spot.  In the end, I decided to give the # 6 spot to Endless Night. Even though that one only got two votes but that Endless Night seemed to have louder fans voting for it. In the end though, I wanted to include it as an honorable mention. 
All right from the final voting update, Hikaru said about I'm Still Here (Jim's Theme)

"I'm Still Here- A guilty pleasure from a under-rated movie".


While I do agree that this film is underrated, I never thought of this song as a guilty pleasure but rather just enjoyable and different from other Disney songs. Here is what I said in the review of Treasure Planet.

"In the context of the movie, this  song accmpolishes three things. 1. It's shows Jim maturing while on the ship and becmoing more open to life. 2. It's lets us know why Jim was closed with his emotions because he was afraid of getting hurt or being left like how his father left him. 3. It shows the development between Jim and Silver, how Silver is shaping up to be the father Jim never had"

Now that I have gotten this honorable mention out of the way, let's get this list started.

6. Endless Night -  Songs Written For The Stage




This is the only stage song that made the list and I will say that I'm quite happy to see a stage song on this list This is certianly one of my favorite songs from The Lion King play as I feel that it shows a good amount of growth in Simba.

Here is what  erin_baliya said about this song when they voted. 

"I'll vote for Endless Night, even though I never saw the Broadway version of The Lion King. I think that this song could've been added to the movie, but I guess it got deleted for budget purposes".

While I don't beleive that Endless Night was never meant for the film, I would love to see an antimated version of this song and I think it would have been better than when they went back and put The Morning Report in the film.

Now here is what I said about the song when it first appeared on A Look at Disney.

"This song takes when Simba sees Mufassa in clouds and he sings about his father was never when he needed them, which led to be so scared and unsure of himself. Just listen to the line"Whenever I called tour name/Your Not Anywhere". This line shows the fear that Simba had growing up without his father and he is scared but know he must face his destiny. This along with the next song can bring tears to my eyes".


5.  Baby Mine (Allison Krauss' Cover) -  Top 6 Covers of Disney Songs




Funnily enough this song was featured on my very 1st Top 6. Top 6 Covers of Disney songs.  A lot of people seemed to like this song but to be honest I never got a feeling of why from some of the people who voted. That is part of the reason I'm placing this one at only # 5.  Why did I place this one at the # 1 spot on my very first Top 6. Well here is why.


"I wasn't always a big fan of  Aliosn Kraus but her cover of "Bany Mine" turned me around.  "Dumbo" is my number one favorite Disney movie  of all time next to  "A Goofy Movie" but "Baby Mine"  has always held my special place in my heart and nobody could capture the essence of the song until I heard Alison Kraus' version.  I know I said it helps to have a twist when doing a cover but part of the reason I love this version so much is that doesn't mess with the song too much other than to fit Kraus' Bluegrass style of singing".


4. One Jump Ahead - Introduction Songs




One Jump Ahead was the second song to get locked in way back in February.  Here again, while this one was one of the ones to get voted in early, there wasn't much reason why from people other than that this is thier favorite movie. That's cool.  I can work with that. 

Now here is what I said about this song the first time it popped up on A Look at Disney.

"One Jump Ahead introduces us to Aladdin and Abu. This song sets up his character quite, it lets the audience know that he is a poor boy, who has no money and he is just trying to get by. Everyone looks down on him. While this is upbeat,  the audience does get the sense from Aladdin that he wants a better life.  I feel that this is also shown well and perhaps even better in the reprise of this song also known as Street Rat".

3.  I Will Go Sailing No More -  Let's Watch Toy Story: The Musical Pt. 7 & My Final Thoughts





Now I'm not too surprised this ended up on this list. As Toy Story is a classic and I have always believed that this song is the most underrated Toy Story song.   Now to understand what  I said about this song, you would have to go back and read all of my Let's Watch Toy Story: The Musical.  Yes, that does exist.  It is a stage adaption of Toy Story on of the Disney Cruise ships. When I talked about this song, I was pointing that  I was saddened by the fact that the play did not make use of this song.


"Personally, I think it would have and using a reprise leads me to my next problem, towards the latter part of the play, the show became reprise heavy. Now, I don't mind a good reprise but when every single song in the latter part of a show is a reprise of song, we already heard. That get annoying.   But my biggest problem with this show was Sid. The actress playing Sid was all wrong, her voice  just didn't capture  the character of Sid and when she sang, it was awful".

You know what I may have to go back and put together a list of all those blogs in case, any of you want to check it out.  Just not right now.


2. After Today Live - Top 6 Covers of Disney Songs




This one certianly seems to have become a an favorite and it's not hard to see why. It's just awesome.  This group of people remade After Today into this awesome music video using real people.  This one was the first song to get locked in for this countdown and I can see why. Here is what I had to say. Also, I do have to mention the fact I find it rather ironic that both this song and Baby Mine were on the same Top 6. But this was ranked at # 6 and on this countdown it's higher up than Baby Mine.

"I know that I have used this video before but I just love it.  It is obvious that the people behind this video had a lot of fun making and understood the song "After Today".   I also love the fact that as the video states it is a shot-for-shot remake done in live action.  The girl playing Roxanne in this video looks as though she could be the real life doppelganger for the character".

Okay, we are about to find out what the # 1 Song ever featured on A Look at Disney is. Well if you kept track of all the songs that got locked in (like I did), you would know what song that is.  Before I reveal the # 1 song. Drumroll, please.





The number 1 song to ever appear on A Look At Disney is...



1. Proud of Your Boy  - Songs That Were Cut




Yes, that's right! Proud of Your Boy is the # 1 song to have ever appeared on A Look at Disney.  It is rather funny that the # 1 song on this list is one that was cut from the film that it was supposed to appear in. Anyways here is what Gomu69 had to say about this song.

" I would of appreciated Aladdin so much more if they had found a way to incorporate Proud of your boy into the movie; it's so universally relatable".

To that, I agree I would have loved to see this song appear in the film but this video sadly explains why that never came to be. Though at least we have this song to listen to as it is wonderful and it is now one of my favorite Disney songs. Just like before here is what  I said about this song the first time it showed up on A Look at Disney.

"This is my all time favorite Disney song that was never used.  This video can explain the song better than I can.  I'll try though, in the original draft for Aladdin, Aladdin was going to have a mother.  This song is about Aladdin saying how he will turn over a new leaf and try to make his mom proud.  Just watch the video and you'll understand why I like this song".

I still say that the best way to understand this song is to watch the video of that does a better job of describing the song than I could even try.

So ends, our first Your Top 6. I believe it be a success. Normally, this is where  I would ask you what you thought of this list but since you were the ones voting, you already told me.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment