Take A Look at Disney

7/11/11

Return of The Requests: Lilo & Stitch

Hey guys, time for our second Request.  Now how many of you were able to figure out what it was from the clue.  Today, I'll be taking a look at Lilo & Stitch. This was requested by guywiththeuglyassavatar.  This one is for you, my freind.  Let's begin.






Okay, okay. I know this doesn't give too much away but I think that is okay. Though I love this trailer, how they mix in the new movies with the old ones. Although it was funny I remember people complaining about the  classic Disney moments being ruined with these scenes. I would have to disagree as I think they are just a way to make the audience more excited about seeing the film. Honestly, I could do an entire blog on these trailers as they also used The Lion King, Beauty & The Beast and Aladdin. Though I chose this one to tie in with the last review.


The Plot


The plot of Lilo & Stitch is simple as it is the story of 2 beings that are outcasts from their worlds.  They have no freinds and they feel that no one can understand each other that is until they meet each other.


Characters

There are a lot of characters to cover in this article so as always I'm going to be focusing on the most important characters.  Let's begin with the important characters.


Important Characters

Lilo voiced by Daveigh Chase




Lilo is an akward young girl who doesn't have many freinds. Part of that may come from her odd tastes in thing such as voo doo and Elvis music. Now I woluldn't say Lilo is an introvert but rather just doesn't know all to get along with the other girls her age. Lilo does get a lot of interaction with people as she enjoys taking picture and attends a local hula class. She's not a bad character at but just rather unique.


Stitch voiced by Chris Sanders



Ah, Stitch he has certianly developed quite the fanbase over time and it is not hard to see why.  Stitch who starts as 626 is quite the ramboucious little monster. He is always breaking things and getting into trouble. At the same time though while he is very naughty,  it is also shown that he is quite smart such as when he builds that skyscraper.  I think one thing that alot of people tend to forget with Stich is that in the first film he was just a baby and that is part of the reason why he broke so many things. He didn'y know any better. Though over time, Lilo teaches Stitch how to behave and be kind which in turn teaches Lilo how to interact with other people. One other thing to keep in mind is that even though Stitch is alien, we are shown a human side of him with his fear of water. Also,  I love the shot of Stitch on the beach dressed as Elvis. I think that is probably one of the funniest moments from this film.






Supporting Characters


Nani voiced by Tia Carrere





Nani is Lilo's older sister and legal guardian. Nani tries her best to take care of her sister but she knows that she can't fill in the shoes of her parnets after they died.  While she cares for Lilo,  she does get easily frusrtated by the things that Lilo does. Nani has haer hands full with her little sister and as I said she cares for her sister and is willing to do anything to protect her. Especially since Lilo could be taken from her if she doesn't  show that she is a good guardian.


Jumba voiced by  David Ogden Stiers






Jumba is the creator of Stitch or as he calls him 626 as he has illegally created 626 alien experiments. In fact we open the film with him on trial for creation of these aliens.  Jumba is shown to be very smart but a little clumsy. You can see he enjoys his work and he truly wants to be thought of evil.  Jumba is promised freedom if he goes to earth and is able to capture 626 and bring him back to space. He does go to earth alongside Pleakley.


Pleakley voiced by Kevin McDonald





Now if you recall the clue from the last review for this review, it was referring to this character as you see pleakley uses a viewmaster as an educational tool trying to understand earth and its population of mosquitoes who he belives to be an endangered species. Pleakley is also a bit of cross-dresser which I beleive is a Disney first but for the most part in the first film, he wears his uniform. Pleakley is a bit clumsy and somewhat of a know-it-all, he portrays hims as being really smart when he doesn't exactly know everything but he is willing to learn. Pleakley is  teamed up with Jumba in order to retreive 626 and bring him back. Pleakley isn't a bad character but perhaps not one of my favorites, I did find him annoying at points but overall, he was an okay character.


Music

Now this is one area where the movie almost falters in my opinion. While I have nothing against Elvis or his music, I'm rather disappointed that they decided to rely on music of another artist than instead of making original songs. Now I know there was at least two songs written for the film but even still, this bugs me. Anyways, now that I got that out of the way, I'll take a look at what is perhaps the most famous song from this film that isn't an Elvis song.




Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride




This song is simple and fun and I I really like how it fits in with the scenes. I feel with this song, the audience is shown the development of Stitch as he grows from being that naughty alien to a character who has fears and feels as though he is being overlooked.  I will admit in certian parts that the song does go a little fast for my tastes but all in all I like it  and I think that this song is more than just about surfing and can actually be summed as a metaphor for life as sometimes life can feel like a rollercoaster ride. Also it is just a fun song that is sung beautifully.

Burning Love - Wynonna Judd





Now I know that this is the ending of the film but I think it is okay to use this as it really doesn't give away too much of the film. For those who haven't see it but if  I thought it did, I would not have used it.  Anyways as I said before, I'm not a big fan of the use of  the Elvis music in this film but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the songs. I find that Wynonna's cover is really good and it is really fun here even if I do find the pairing of the scenes and songs odd. Now admittedly it has been a long time since I heard the Elvis version of this song but it almost feels though  it was used it out of context. I don't know maybe I'm looking into it too much. If there are any Elvis fans reading this, could you help a guy out and tell me if I'm wrong in thinking that.






The Villian

Gantu voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson




Gantu is probably one of my least favorite Disney baddies because he doesn't feel like a true bad guy. Now I know I said I'd like Silver from Treasure Planet because of that but whereas Silver had heart, I feel nothing with Gantu and honestly, the film didn't really need him. The story of Lilo and Stitch bonding was good enough. I mean sure the chase scene at the end was nice but honestly I think if you took him out of the film, it wouldn't affect the movie at all.


My Final Thoughts

Lilo & Stitch is a film that I like for the most part but if there were more original songs and if Gantu was more intresting, I think I would have liked this film more. Don't get me wrong, it's a good film but not great. It's close and majority of the characters are very likable and enjoyable. It is a film that I find rewatchable and plus Stitch is one of the few modern Disney characters that is truly a scene stealer. I'd reccomend it. 

For your clue to the next review, watch this video



No comments:

Post a Comment